I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:05:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Who else is afraid of the dentist
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who else is afraid of the dentist  (Read 3711 times)
SweetyPie

« on: December 31, 2018, 06:19:50 PM »

Hi all,
Its time for me to make a new appointment I have sliiiiightest pain on my bottom tooth where the filling is starting to deteriorate. I havent been there in a while. Im scared :( im not happy about my teeth health. Any suggestions? my whole family has great teeth I wish I did too.
Also do I mention low calcium levels to them or is that not important.  Give me tips please.
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 07:54:41 PM »

Hi Aisha,

It is very important to tell your dentist about certain things in regard to dialysis. Most definitely mention your low calcium levels. The side effects of calcium imbalances on your bones are similar to what happens with your teeth. This is something a dentist would want to know if they care about the overall long term oral health of their patients.

Another important point to mention while at a dental appointment is the use of heparin or whatever blood thinners you take/use for treatment. When they go poking around your mouth, especially going near your gum line and doing that awful scaling, you will bleed more easily than other patients. Even if they've taken a recent medication list from you, it's always good to reiterate this point.

And since dialysis patients can be more prone to infections, any poking around the mouth can be an opportunity for infection. Some suggest taking an antibiotic prior to all dental appointments. I’ve been advised, even post transplant, to take an antibiotic only if the dentist is going to do something “dirty”, such as pulling a tooth or root canal. Talk to your neph about this first and they'd know better about your particular case.

One other point is that dialysis patients typically have dry mouth due to fluid restrictions. That has a negative effect on oral health. More apt to develop gum disease, tooth decay and just general nasty mouth feeling.

I have a huge case of dentophobia but still go for check-ups/cleanings 3 or 4 times a year. The dental clinic offers nitrous oxide to their “jumpy” patients so I took on the extra fee for that. The first time I didn’t mind it, it got me through a filling, but the second time? Feeling numb scared the heck out of me so I never used it again. Now it’s a case of mind over matter and I’m more at ease with the whole process. I tell myself that it's for my own good and I want to keep my "natural teeth" going as long as possible.

This could just be "weird me problems" but if the dental chair was positioned too flat, my catheter would jump/thump/have a spasm. It occurred more than once during the appointment and it happened at every appointment so it wasn't a "one off" thing. Anyhoo, I'd advise the hygienist to adjust the chair to a point that part didn't feel so "heavy." I dunno, I'm just weird. But the point is, if you are uncomfortable, definitely say something.

Now, my only complaint about going to the dentist occurs when the male hygienists don’t wear deodorant and their armpits hover above my head. What a trapped feeling!  :puke;

Good luck and I hope you make it to the dentist soon. Dental discomfort is definitely a “hopeless” feeling sometimes.  :)
SweetyPie

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 08:13:31 PM »

Hi Aisha,

It is very important to tell your dentist about certain things in regard to dialysis. Most definitely mention your low calcium levels. The side effects of calcium imbalances on your bones are similar to what happens with your teeth. This is something a dentist would want to know if they care about the overall long term oral health of their patients.

Another important point to mention while at a dental appointment is the use of heparin or whatever blood thinners you take/use for treatment. When they go poking around your mouth, especially going near your gum line and doing that awful scaling, you will bleed more easily than other patients. Even if they've taken a recent medication list from you, it's always good to reiterate this point.

And since dialysis patients can be more prone to infections, any poking around the mouth can be an opportunity for infection. Some suggest taking an antibiotic prior to all dental appointments. I’ve been advised, even post transplant, to take an antibiotic only if the dentist is going to do something “dirty”, such as pulling a tooth or root canal. Talk to your neph about this first and they'd know better about your particular case.

One other point is that dialysis patients typically have dry mouth due to fluid restrictions. That has a negative effect on oral health. More apt to develop gum disease, tooth decay and just general nasty mouth feeling.

I have a huge case of dentophobia but still go for check-ups/cleanings 3 or 4 times a year. The dental clinic offers nitrous oxide to their “jumpy” patients so I took on the extra fee for that. The first time I didn’t mind it, it got me through a filling, but the second time? Feeling numb scared the heck out of me so I never used it again. Now it’s a case of mind over matter and I’m more at ease with the whole process. I tell myself that it's for my own good and I want to keep my "natural teeth" going as long as possible.

This could just be "weird me problems" but if the dental chair was positioned too flat, my catheter would jump/thump/have a spasm. It occurred more than once during the appointment and it happened at every appointment so it wasn't a "one off" thing. Anyhoo, I'd advise the hygienist to adjust the chair to a point that part didn't feel so "heavy." I dunno, I'm just weird. But the point is, if you are uncomfortable, definitely say something.

Now, my only complaint about going to the dentist occurs when the male hygienists don’t wear deodorant and their armpits hover above my head. What a trapped feeling!  :puke;

Good luck and I hope you make it to the dentist soon. Dental discomfort is definitely a “hopeless” feeling sometimes.  :)

Thank you for this I needed this. I really didnt know that all these things like dry mouth could affect my teeth health. Its crazy. I would just blame it on myself and not flossing as much. I will definitely mention this to the dentist. Im going to call and see what times they are open. Im afraid of pain I might go through, what the dentist might think of my teeth, and if i have to get a root canal. To be honest im glad Im not the only who's scared to go through this.
Another thing, my insurance does not cover anything anymore because I am 23. So I will be paying out of pocket. Nobody in my area accepts medicare and Medicaid made many calls. So i dont think I can pay the extra fee for the relaxation medication.
Naynay99

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 10:15:11 PM »

Hey aaisha-
Just wanted to wish you luck.  I personally hate the dentist so I can relate.  I wouldn’t worry about pain too much, they usually shoot u up w novacaone if you have to get a cavity filled or anything.  Me, i get really claustrophobic and feel like I can’t breathe even though I know I still I have a working nose.  So the whole thing is rather traumatic but it’s never as bad as I worry it will be.  Still I would rather get a Pap smear from my gyn than a dental exam anyday, so u can see just how much I loathe the dentist.   
I would not worry about what the dentist thinks of your teeth- They have seen everything.  But I do know what u mean- i always feel tooth shamed when they ask if I floss regularly and I have to fight the urge and not lie! 

Definitely share any medical info and medications I take, etc w the dentist.  I know for me, since I am on anyitejection meds from my first tx, I have to premedicate before every cleaning which is a pita. 
Anyhow, best of luck.  You will be okay. 
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 02:34:22 AM »

Hello,
... As a child I was unfortunately, first of all, registered with a horrible dentist (I still remember his loathsome name) and, coming across this sadistic dentist, who obviously became a dentist for one reason only, "did it" for me, because, when thinking about it, there are strong reasons to believe, that he enjoyed the pain he caused the little one's, who had not learned yet how to fight back ... and the pain I had to endure during every appointment, he was particularly fond of using his dentist-drill ... and I was never given any pain-killers ... ever... and he was even lying, because he always gave as an explanation, that he had to cause me so much miserable pain with his dentist-drill, because I was, in his "professional opinion", eating too much sweeties and cakes during the day... That was - of course - a lie, because for starters, he only assumed I liked sweeties, but did not know, that I was one of those few children, who were not even keen on eating any sweets, because, for example, my favourite childhood-food at that time was pickled gherkins with hot potatoes in their skin with a little butter...
Because of this horrible experience I thought very early what to do about it and decided to look after my teeth as well as I possibly could. And then I researched from an early age, to find a dentist who tried to avoid to cause pain and was also in favour of painless dentistry ....
... And ever since, wherever I have lived, I made sure there was a professional dentist around who avoided to cause any pain and my husband and I have been with our last dentist for over thirty years, until he retired and even after his retirement we still could continue to see him for our check-ups for a little while, until he totally retired to improve on his sailing-skills and fortunately we are now again registered with a new dentist who is also very professional and also very pain-free ...
Best wishes and particularly good luck-wishes from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
SweetyPie

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 02:12:52 PM »

Thank you everyone,
This make me feel better. I believe I will be going to the dentist on Friday. I will update you all. I think after this visit I will be going more frequently to get my teeth fixed once and for all..
SweetyPie

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 12:02:10 PM »

Update

I went to th dentist today. The reason I went was because I was having pain near an old filling... turns out it’s my wisdom teeth that has been giving me huge problem. It is coming in sideways and is making my bottom row crooked and harder to clean. So next step get them out ASAP and after braces.
Medicare and Medicaid don’t cover so this should be fun.. my whole side of my face hurts a whole lot because of the nerves. Tylenol doesn’t do much.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 04:47:13 AM »

Here, in order to stay on the transplant list, you need to have your teeth cleaned twice a year.  I hate going.  It's a torture session, and I'm sure the hygienist has great fun scraping at my teeth.  I take an antibiotic an hour before each appointment as a preventative measure.

Last summer, I had to have one of my wisdom teeth pulled because it broke.  To me, it felt like a corner of the tooth had been blown off.  It was sharp, and the dentist filed it down until I could see the oral surgeon a few days later, who pulled it.  I am so glad that I had insurance through my college.  There is no way I could have afforded having the tooth pulled if I didn't have it.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
SweetyPie

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 06:31:07 PM »

I wish I did all of these procedures before I turned 23. But before that I was in no state to get these procedures done so yeah...
Wish me luck hopefully consultation goes well Tuesday.  The nurse told me they have to stop heparin a week prior to the surgery.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »