I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:26:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  My Bowl Is Whiter Than Ever!!!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Bowl Is Whiter Than Ever!!!!  (Read 4903 times)
Mr Ken

« on: November 20, 2018, 04:43:47 PM »

A little digression from the "D" word 8) Had quite a challenge cleaning the toilet bowl. Unfortunately I did let it go and it got soiled. Quite soiled. Soiled where I thought I would need a jackhammer to clean the inside of toilet bowl do to build up........ I tried Clorox Bleach and Lysol mixed together. Do so in a well ventilated area. Be warned do not just dump any cleaner in with bleach.. Could be very dangerous. No luck in cleaning this toilet....... I came across a miracle, no not a kidney this time, Zep Acidic toilet bowl cleaner..... THIS STUFF WORKS!!! Oh cleans it.......... It is a base of Hydrochloric acid.  Use it safely but it does the job. I am happy!!!!! The toilet bowl has never been whiter..... So clean you could use the inside as a dinner plate and eat from it.  Took a few cycles and a few scrubbing but it is possible to clean the toughest of toilet bowl grime...... Happy I got it taken care of. Remember Zep Acidic Toilet Bowl Cleaner.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 08:06:03 PM »

Mixing cleaners is not safe.  If you had mixed Clorox with ammonia you probably would be dead.  Years ago in my apartment building some one tried the ammonia and Clorox mixture to clean a toilet.  He damned near died and the entire building was evacuated.
Mr Ken

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 04:01:20 AM »

Mixing cleaners is not safe.  If you had mixed Clorox with ammonia you probably would be dead.  Years ago in my apartment building some one tried the ammonia and Clorox mixture to clean a toilet.  He damned near died and the entire building was evacuated.

:oops; I know about the Ammonia and Clorox no no..... Sometimes you need stuff that means business though........  I plopped in a clorox puck in the tank.... That should keep the bowl white with a cleaning a couple times a week...... That Zep cleaner is hydrochloric acid...... the toilet bowl needed it...... I know what you mean about apartment neighbors  you never know what the person next door is up to that may pose a danger to you......  :pray; Not tonight......  :clap;
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 05:34:51 AM »

I need this need to stop by Home Depot. It’s 1.5 times the price at amazon. Thanks

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 09:10:37 AM »

Does it take care of the hard water ring, or do you still have to scrape that off?
Mr Ken

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 01:31:07 PM »

Does it take care of the hard water ring, or do you still have to scrape that off?

Oh that stuff will clean it all!!!!!!! Just have to be careful with it....
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 05:49:09 AM »

Maybe I am just fortunate as I only need to use a brush nearly every other day to keep my bowl nice and clean.

But I cheat.

Swimming Pool Clorine tablets.  Buy them on sale at the end of the pool season, like now, if Wal Mart still has a large bottle on the shelf it will be marked down a lot.

I fill a large coffee cup with the tablets and set it in the bottom of the tank.     Done.

The smal area of exposure at the cup limits how fast the chlorine exchange is to the tank water, making for just about the perfect amount.  Above the water line can still get an accumulation of solids, spots, but using only a brush they do come off.  Sometimes needing a bit of effort depending on how many days you have allowed it to dry.

But below the water line, hadly needs to be touched.

REMEMBER, if you do this do NOT add any other chemical to the bowl.   You don't want the chance of a bad reaction.
Mr Ken

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 08:27:17 AM »

Maybe I am just fortunate as I only need to use a brush nearly every other day to keep my bowl nice and clean.

But I cheat.

You are right you do cheat  :laugh: Some of us let it go a little to long but once you do get it clean the brush hits the bowl frequently.... :laugh:

Swimming Pool Clorine tablets.  Buy them on sale at the end of the pool season, like now, if Wal Mart still has a large bottle on the shelf it will be marked down a lot.

I fill a large coffee cup with the tablets and set it in the bottom of the tank.     Done.

The smal area of exposure at the cup limits how fast the chlorine exchange is to the tank water, making for just about the perfect amount.  Above the water line can still get an accumulation of solids, spots, but using only a brush they do come off.  Sometimes needing a bit of effort depending on how many days you have allowed it to dry.

Good tip. Clorox sells thos clorine pucks that last 2 months. A package lasts about a year..

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 09:07:43 PM »

Those pucks really do not last that long as simply dropped in the tank the entire surface area is exposed to the tank.  Granted, this manner does desolve a LOT of chemical, the drawback is a shorter life of the puck.

I sometimes add one of the colored pucks to my coffee cup.  This limited surface area of the cup exposure does still allow some small amount of color to leach into the tank but nowhere near as dark as a bare puck.  Advantage, the puck and tablets in the cup last for MONTHS at a time, rather than weeks.

Number of flushes also makes a huge difference.  Only one or two people in the home veresus a house full of Kids.  Our Kids have long been gone.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 11:45:11 AM »

ZIP acid did not get rid of my hard water ring but a Pummie from Amazon did in short order (about $10)
Mr Ken

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 06:16:19 PM »

ZIP acid did not get rid of my hard water ring but a Pummie from Amazon did in short order (about $10)

I do not know... The stuff once applied and sits for 10 to 15 minutes really does work. You do have to scrub and work at it a bit.....  Using a Pummie stone is really abrasive and could damage the ceramic finish of the bowl...

ZEP Acidic Toilet Bowl Cleaner quickly removes rust, dissolves organic stains and eliminates hard water residue from toilets and urinals. Its powerful 10 percent acid gel formula enables the cleaner to tackle even the most stubborn of stains. The thick gel clings to vertical surfaces, while its squirt top makes for an easy under-the-rim application. The formula's fresh wintergreen scent eliminates the harsh odor associated with most cleansers.

Quickly removes rust, dissolves organic stains and eliminates hard water residue
    Squirt top makes under-the-rim application easy, while thick gel formula clings to vertical surfaces
    Suited for use on toilets and urinals
    Strong 10 percent acid gel formula
    Fresh wintergreen scent

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 05:58:08 PM »

I may have to look for that as under the rim accumulation of mineral deposits has to be the toughest stuff to get off.   Too many years and all those little holes the water comes through start getting pretty small.    PITA.
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 03:06:48 PM »

The main mineral in those deposits is calcium carbonate, which is a popular phosphate blocker. So maybe we should all be licking our toilets clean.

:puke;

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »