I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2018, 08:06:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
525388 Posts in 32946 Topics by 12193 Members
Latest Member: slice
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Pre-Dialysis (Moderator: KarenInWA)
| | |-+  How bad did it get.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How bad did it get.  (Read 88 times)
jambo101

« on: December 05, 2018, 06:40:13 AM »

How bad did the symptoms of kidney failure get before you started dialysis and how soon after starting dialysis did you feel much better?

Thanks
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 06:52:09 AM »

I never got as bad as you describe, but I napped a lot less after starting dialysis.  Pre dialysis on the weekends I could almost get up, have breakfast and then in a bit want a nap, but workdays I worked normal days.

I've not commented on most of your posts, but based on what I've read (each time), Iíve wonder if itís not time for you to start?  My nephrologist always said I'd know when itís time to start dialysis, and that the labs only mean so much, everyone is different.  Obviously starting dialysis is a big change, but if you feel like crap there is a good chance that you will feel better.

I also believe that having a bit of kidney function might help as you start dialysis.  For example if you are still peeing it gives you some time to learn about the fluid restrictions and prepare for the day when have to control fluid (and diet).

Good luck.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Simon Dog
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 08:38:16 AM »

My MD tells me that starting Hemo as late as possible has the best long-term outcome, but that patients can benefit from starting PD somewhat earlier as it helps preserve residual renal function (whereas HD tends to kill off residual function)..

I remember puking on the LV strip after breakfast when I was on PD but it was starting to fail me.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »