I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:19:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Automated PD with Polycystic Kidneys Questions
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Automated PD with Polycystic Kidneys Questions  (Read 2442 times)
wcmjt

« on: November 02, 2018, 04:55:31 AM »

One of my Nephs said I could have Automated PD. He left the practice and my new Neph thinks I would have trouble with fullness feeling, etc. because of the size of my kidneys taking up some space in my Peritoneal Cavity.  My kidneys are large but not exceptionally larg for a PKD patient.  Also I have Dialated Cardiomyopathy and my Cardioligist is concerned about infection potential of my heart if I get a Peritoneal infection, Neph says no problem.  Any input would be appreciated on either situations.
I am pre-dialysis. Just beginning the process for a fistula as a backup regardless what I do and have started the process to get on a Transplant list.
Thanks for any words of wisdom
Bill
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 06:03:38 AM »

I do PD (3 years in) but have no experience with PKD so I can't comment on that.  Infection is always a risk in PD but not a big risk if you are careful and well-focused in your technique. As far as the heart goes, dialysis is no friend to the heart, but Hemodialysis is worse because of the more extreme hydrodynamics of the method.  PD is much easier on the heart than Hemo.  Both methods have their pluses and minuses.  I intensely prefer PD and I, personally, would rather go to hospice than to do hemo.  But that's me.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
uttanutta

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 03:31:30 PM »

Hi Bill i have been on the Baxter cycler for 5 years now i also have pkd. I do 4 exchanges a night of 2litres i also have huge kidneys.I do remember when i first started feeling quite full but you be amazed how quick your body gets used to it,just make sure you keep everything clean and you will do fine
darin

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 02:32:51 AM »

I have pkd and am a thin guy and have trouble with 2 liter fills.  1.5L is the sweet spot before discomfort keeps waking me up at night.

I think it might be a bit difficult if you’re thin like me.  It works though.  I wouldn’t dissuade you from trying PD.  I would do hemo but my neph says PD is much better for my body, so I put up with it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »