I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:25:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Could you please help me with my pyschology assingment??? BIG GRADE
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Could you please help me with my pyschology assingment??? BIG GRADE  (Read 5024 times)
SweetyPie

« on: October 23, 2018, 10:48:06 AM »

Hi all,
I have a big assignment for pyschology and I was wondering if you could help me out!! I have copied the instructions from my clasd below:
To learn about the lives of adolescents in previous decades, interview two people-- someone who is 40-50 years old and someone who is 70-90+ years old.  In your interviews, find out how their experiences of adolescence were different from the experiences of today's adolescent.   Following is a list of some questions -- however, feel free to add in some of your own!

Did you attend high school?  Did you want to?  What kinds of subjects did you study?What kind of homework did you have?
What was your cultural background?  What were the traditions that your family celebrated?  How did your cultural background influence you?
What was your family life like during your teenage years?  What were the expectations for teenagers with their relationships with their family (e.g., mother, father, siblings, grandparents)?
Did you work as an adolescent?  If yes, where did you work?  How many hours a week?  Did you contribute to the family income?  Did you want to work?
What kind of clothes did you wear?  What were the "in" styles at that time?  Were you concerned about fashion?
Who were your friends?  How did you and your friends spend your free time?  What were the popular teen "hangouts?”
  Were you allowed to date?  What were romantic relationships like?What were the problems you confronted as a teenager?
What do you think are the critical issues that distinguish teenagers today from teens during your time?  What do you think of today's teens?

*if you are willing to participate, please write down your name and age along with detailed answers to the questions. This would really help me out a lot!!! I have until Friday to complete it!!!
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 02:20:32 PM »

Sorry, I fall right between those two age groups, so am ineligible.

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
SweetyPie

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 02:48:42 PM »

Sorry, I fall right between those two age groups, so am ineligible.
How old are you exactly??
GA_DAWG

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 05:31:40 PM »

I'm 59, so I don't think I fit your categories.
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 05:45:46 PM »

I really wish I could help as helping students is very important but, I haven’t even reached anything close to 40.  :(
SweetyPie

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 06:13:04 PM »

I'm 59, so I don't think I fit your categories.

I just emailed my teacher, she said its fine and that you can participate.
SweetyPie

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 06:18:33 PM »

I really wish I could help as helping students is very important but, I haven’t even reached anything close to 40.  :(
I appreciate you trying to help out, means a lot
GA_DAWG

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 09:52:54 PM »

Well, let's see. I did attend high school and wanted to very much. I took mostly college prep classes, and I was fortunate that it came pretty easily to me. I did not do a lot of studying, did minimal homework, but paid attention in class. I managed to graduate as valedictorian, and I was among the top 2,5% nationwide. Turned out to be good and bad because when I got to college, I had to learn to study really quickly. Culturally, I was from a small Southern town where as was more common then, everyone knew everyone else. One thing that was different for me, as a member of the first classes to be integrated, was that my class, for the first year, was the only class at the school I attended. We learned to all get along, black and white, I think largely because we did n ot have any agitation from older classes and did not have to try to show off for lower classes. We were like our own little entity. That class unity lasted all the way through high school. Besides my parents insisting on it, I think that has largely framed my views on race and how unimportant it should be to this day. It just was not unusual for some of my best friends to be of a different race,and it still is not today. Family life could be difficult in those days. My mother was the important parent in my life, and she made choices about keeping th family together that were far more common in those days. There was no #metoo. I did work my last two years of high school. I worked maybe 30 hours a week during school but a lot more during summer. It was not uncommon to work a minimum of 80 hours, with no overtime. We were given choices of minimum wage and no overtime, or a lower per hour and work as much as we wanted. Working lots of hours gave us more money and kept us out of trouble. It also taught me a lot for later in life as to the value of work. Clothes for me were mostly T-shirts and blue jeans, still the same. Long hair and the Eagles were just hitting big, We had Hotel California, Rumours, and Frampton Comes Alive all within a relatively short time. Boston came along shortly thereafter, but so did Disco. People were either Disco or not. I was not. Still proud of that. My friends were across the board and largely people older than me. Working was our free time, thoough there was the usual night-time hangouts. For us, being small town, first it was the new McDonalds, but then Pizza Hut opened up Exciting days there, lol. I was allowed to date, and did some, though we all tended to just everyone hang out together. Something else learned first year of college. I don't remember us having any real problems, not compared to today. Thre were no guns, the worst thing would be a fist fight and everyone made up the next day. Gas was cheap, as was beer and nobody looked real hard at IDs and the legal age was 18. I think kids today have it much harder. Kids are expected to grow up faster, know exactly what they want to do with their lives, and face a lot more adversity with things like scholl shootings and the like. As to sex in those days, there was nothing a shot would not clear up, cerainly not the fear of AIDS or HIV. I do worry that today's kids are not learning to socialize, they spend too much time locked away on computers playing games and the like, especially the young men. We weere outside every day, played sports and the like. Today, at many high schools they have a hard time fielding a football team, because the boys would rather play computer games. I still think sports teaches people to work together, though obviously in some places it is taken to extremes. I guess the biggest obstacles I see for today's teens is the division in society and the fact the problems are so severe that if we do not work together, there is no solution to them. There are big problems, as there have been before, but people do not talk, do not work together to try to find answers. They simply yell at each other, and I fear for the kind of planet and kind of life that is going to leave for today's kids. And I have two of them of my own I deeply hope have a better world than the one that exists now. Hope that was not too long for you. William, 59.
SweetyPie

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 03:42:04 AM »

Well, let's see. I did attend high school and wanted to very much. I took mostly college prep classes, and I was fortunate that it came pretty easily to me. I did not do a lot of studying, did minimal homework, but paid attention in class. I managed to graduate as valedictorian, and I was among the top 2,5% nationwide. Turned out to be good and bad because when I got to college, I had to learn to study really quickly. Culturally, I was from a small Southern town where as was more common then, everyone knew everyone else. One thing that was different for me, as a member of the first classes to be integrated, was that my class, for the first year, was the only class at the school I attended. We learned to all get along, black and white, I think largely because we did n ot have any agitation from older classes and did not have to try to show off for lower classes. We were like our own little entity. That class unity lasted all the way through high school. Besides my parents insisting on it, I think that has largely framed my views on race and how unimportant it should be to this day. It just was not unusual for some of my best friends to be of a different race,and it still is not today. Family life could be difficult in those days. My mother was the important parent in my life, and she made choices about keeping th family together that were far more common in those days. There was no #metoo. I did work my last two years of high school. I worked maybe 30 hours a week during school but a lot more during summer. It was not uncommon to work a minimum of 80 hours, with no overtime. We were given choices of minimum wage and no overtime, or a lower per hour and work as much as we wanted. Working lots of hours gave us more money and kept us out of trouble. It also taught me a lot for later in life as to the value of work. Clothes for me were mostly T-shirts and blue jeans, still the same. Long hair and the Eagles were just hitting big, We had Hotel California, Rumours, and Frampton Comes Alive all within a relatively short time. Boston came along shortly thereafter, but so did Disco. People were either Disco or not. I was not. Still proud of that. My friends were across the board and largely people older than me. Working was our free time, thoough there was the usual night-time hangouts. For us, being small town, first it was the new McDonalds, but then Pizza Hut opened up Exciting days there, lol. I was allowed to date, and did some, though we all tended to just everyone hang out together. Something else learned first year of college. I don't remember us having any real problems, not compared to today. Thre were no guns, the worst thing would be a fist fight and everyone made up the next day. Gas was cheap, as was beer and nobody looked real hard at IDs and the legal age was 18. I think kids today have it much harder. Kids are expected to grow up faster, know exactly what they want to do with their lives, and face a lot more adversity with things like scholl shootings and the like. As to sex in those days, there was nothing a shot would not clear up, cerainly not the fear of AIDS or HIV. I do worry that today's kids are not learning to socialize, they spend too much time locked away on computers playing games and the like, especially the young men. We weere outside every day, played sports and the like. Today, at many high schools they have a hard time fielding a football team, because the boys would rather play computer games. I still think sports teaches people to work together, though obviously in some places it is taken to extremes. I guess the biggest obstacles I see for today's teens is the division in society and the fact the problems are so severe that if we do not work together, there is no solution to them. There are big problems, as there have been before, but people do not talk, do not work together to try to find answers. They simply yell at each other, and I fear for the kind of planet and kind of life that is going to leave for today's kids. And I have two of them of my own I deeply hope have a better world than the one that exists now. Hope that was not too long for you. William, 59.
No, that wasnt long at all. I enjoyed reading about you and your thoughts. Thank you
SweetyPie

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 03:44:13 AM »

On another note, I  need more people to interview so pleae try to spread the word out to those who are unable to participate but know of anyone in the age range, thanks.
The professor sent out an email saying we actually need 3 people from each category.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 12:18:43 AM »

Katherine Age 55

Did you attend high school? YES
 Did you want to? High school was a means to get to college 
What kinds of subjects did you study?  College Prep all the way
What kind of homework did you have?  College prep homework-writing, math, reading
What was your cultural background?  Poor middle class white caucasian
What were the traditions that your family celebrated?  Christian celebrations.  Attended church. DId Easter and Christmas celebrations.
 How did your cultural background influence you?  I stopped going to church in my teens, my parents were Pentecostal christian.
What was your family life like during your teenage years?  I was ill part of my teen years, then felt better and did usual things.  No dating until in my 20s.  Mom, Dad sister.  We had friends.  Dad worked, Mom stayed home.  Little sister born when I was 15 years old.
What were the expectations for teenagers with their relationships with their family (e.g., mother, father, siblings, grandparents)? Respect adults at all times.  Listen to them and follow directions.
Did you work as an adolescent?  If yes, where did you work?  How many hours a week?  Did you contribute to the family income?  Did you want to work?  I worked 20 hour s a week as a custodian at my high  school for six months, and moved to a YETP job a a public library.  As we were working my parents asked us to pay rent out of our paychecks.  We thought is was unfair since they said they would not do that till we were out of  school.
What kind of clothes did you wear?   Outdated comfortable clothes. What were the "in" styles at that time? See the late 70s early 80s styles. Were you concerned about fashion?  I have never been concerned about fashion.  I tried it occasionally but it never worked for me.
Who were your friends?  The nerds who studied hard were my friends. I had one friend who was a little wilder and she was fun to hang out with.
How did you and your friends spend your free time? We studied and worked and did what out parents told us to do. Went to the dollar movie theater.  Went to public swimming pool int he summer.
What were the popular teen "hangouts?”  The counselor's office in school, the library, the chemistry teacher's room for lunch, the sports field, Driver's ed.
  Were you allowed to date?  No dating till 15, then double dates with parents. At age 16 single dates.  I did not date until I was in college.
What were romantic relationships like?  Quick and easy.
What were the problems you confronted as a teenager? Being sick and being different was hard on me.  Kidney problems lurked always.
What do you think are the critical issues that distinguish teenagers today from teens during your time? Teen are taught hate nowadays and use it regularly on each other,this is why we have shootings and kids committing suicide earlier.
What do you think of today's teens?  God love them.  They have so many things against them already.  I like the ones that are taking life on and making something of themselves.  I love the ones that struggle and move on anyway.  I was like that a lot.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
SweetyPie

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 04:07:34 PM »

Thanks for your response the assingment was due last Friday BUT i enjoyed reading about you.  For those who participated, I got a B on the assingment:)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »