I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:27:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Political Debates - Thick Skin Required for Entry
| | |-+  Vote for Vengeance in 2018
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vote for Vengeance in 2018  (Read 19574 times)
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2018, 06:32:43 AM »

I don't understand.  Are you saying Brits are better because you don't allow self-defense?

No, I was following on from my point that America has five times as many unlawful killings per capita than Britain. So either 80% of killings in America are due to your lax gun control, and there would be well over ten thousand less deaths if you banned personal ownership of guns. Or gun ownership is not responsible, which would mean British people are better human beings than Americans. You posted to point out that if you had a gun you could defend yourself. I was saying (admittedly I think I shortened my post too much so was not clear) that in that case there should be less unlawful killings in America (you murder me - unlawful killing; I kill you first in self defence - lawful killing), so that means having guns should reduce the number of murders in America, not increase it by a factor of five. So basically I was saying that if your theorising is correct, it means Americans are nasty human beings, and we Brits are a hell of a lot better than you. Personally if I were in your place (i.e. if I were American) I'd go for the "guns bad - ban private use" option, but as a Brit, I am happy to go for the other option.

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2018, 09:31:51 AM »

Mid-Terms are around the corner.  Vote Democrat  OR ELSE  There will be riots in the streets, they will burn your car with a Trump Sticker
https://www.krem.com/article/news/washington-man-believes-truck-was-torched-because-of-trump-bumper-stickers/281-602289018

Yield or Else!  I'm so scared!!!!    :sarcasm;

iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2018, 09:36:03 AM »

For those of you who want to support democratic (and democratic supporting) senate candidates here is an ActBlue page I setup yesterday which allows you to donate to the thirty-two 2018 democratic candidates and two independents:
https://secure.actblue.com/donate/2018senateraces

It auto allocates out your dontation across all 34 canidates or you can select your own distribuation.  There are other lists which are more focused on key races and have much shorter lists of canidates.  This makes it easy to give $1/$10 per canidate etc...

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2018, 09:53:20 AM »

Give money $$$  or ELSE!  THEY know where you live!!!  But, they don't have any guns!    Just matches and GAS and blow horns!!!

:thx; 

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2018, 01:58:42 PM »

having guns should reduce the number of murders in America
Actually, it equalizes people.  The important people will always have guns or armed minions.

For example, NYC carry permits are VERY hard to get.  So hard there was a bribery ring in the NYPD and the going bribe (though a middleman for deniability) was $5000.  Sean  Penn, Howard Stern and The Donald (before he entered politics) made the cut without paying any bribes because they are important people.   The little people are told no.

Don't count suicides.  That is a person exercising an individual choice - sometimes reasonably, sometimes not.    The CEO of the Fortune 500 company I worked for did himself in with a shotgun - after reaching Stage 4 metastatic lung cancer with nothing but days of painful treatment attempting (and ultimately failing) as forestalling the inevitable.  I would consider that a reasonable action, not a tragic gun death.  Unfortunately, the Papists stopped the physician-assisted suicide law from passing in MA.

As to statistics - the one to look at is the unlawful shootings by carry permit holders, as well as other crimes.  Some studies have found the lawfulness of carry permit holder meets or exceeds that of off-duty police.   

So, please don't lump me in with criminals, ne'er-do-wells and idiots when trying to determine if I am qualified to be armed.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 01:59:49 PM by Simon Dog » Logged
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2018, 04:25:06 PM »

Liberal Education for the ... ah .. Year:
Repeat as loud as you can!
"Hey Hey Ho Ho (enter GOP Name) Has Got To Go!" 

Clap along with the beat (if you can) 

:thx; 

iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2018, 05:29:12 PM »

Yet consurvatives are still crying “Lock her up”. So much for due process.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2018, 07:36:20 PM »

Yet conservatives are still crying “Lock her up”. So much for due process.
You are correct.  They should be crying "indict her".

Neither side cares for due process unless it helps their agenda.  Just look at how many Democrats were saying "we can't use mere accusations against Kavanaugh since he has not been convicted".
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 07:40:20 PM by Simon Dog » Logged
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2018, 07:28:49 PM »

Democrats, Republicans, I lump them all in the same boat.  Crooks and Liars that simply want to suck the public dry while getting rich.

I don't care WHO is up for re-election, vote them OUT.  Vote for the new guy.

It will take a lifetime of voting them out, but the benefit of voter imposed term-limits are immense.  Those Retiree's will eventually die off, leaving all those retirement salaries in the tax coffers.  Not to mention the cost of whatever other perks we are paying for, like unlimited medical, dental, etc.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2018, 08:36:47 PM »

True That (Mostly)   

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2018, 11:25:03 PM »

The problem with just voting them out and term limits is that ythe keys to government end up in the hands of the civil servants.  The BBC mad a real funny show called “Yes Minister” followed by a just as funny show “Yes Prime Minister”.   Showing the mandarins that actually ran the government.  The problems in the current government in the US started when the democratic leaders in the senate changed the rules on cloture to allow the canadates for judgeships and cabinet positions to be approved by a majority (51%) rather then the 2/3 majority required to stop a filibuster.  The republicans then ran with that disgrace and changed the rules further.  Prior to this crap senators needed to compromise to get things done.  The lack of civility has started a open war between the left and the right. 
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2018, 05:12:21 AM »

I find the endless unwanted phone calls to be much worse.
Marty Meehan was for term limits until he was elected and wanted to stay in power.

Without term limits imposed by law, it will generally be in the interest of voters to vote for the incumbent with long tenure in office.  Such a Senator or Rep will have more influence to fill his/her district's pork barrel.

Just compare the power of Kennedy (back when he was alive) to an unknown freshman senator.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 11:13:45 PM by Simon Dog » Logged
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2018, 07:40:03 AM »

You need to vote out the incumbent in the "Primaries" so you can replace a GOP with a GOP though.  By now if you vote out an incumbent GOP you would get a Dembo.  Can't do that!
Just Can't!!   

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2018, 07:44:50 AM »

The voters pick who they want if they re-elect a person you don’t like well the people qet the government they deserve.  In the midterms next month if the people are happy with the current government they can re-elect the current people in power if they are not happy new people will be elected.  I may not like the results (I was not happy in 2016) but win or loose the people get what they want. After all this is a democracy.
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2018, 08:48:36 AM »

You need to vote out the incumbent in the "Primaries" so you can replace a GOP with a GOP though.  By now if you vote out an incumbent GOP you would get a Dembo.  Can't do that!
Just Can't!!

Your previous post ("True That (Mostly) " to Charlie B53's "Democrats, Republicans, I lump them all in the same boat.  Crooks and Liars that simply want to suck the public dry while getting rich. I don't care WHO is up for re-election, vote them OUT.") made a lot of sense, so did the first half of post I quoted. However the second part of your post made a nonsense of all this. How can you claim you will vote out the incumbent, when you will only vote Republican? That only works if you want there to always be a Democrat in the White House, and I am pretty certain that is not your desire!

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2018, 09:46:25 AM »

The voters pick who they want if they re-elect a person you don’t like well the people qet the government they deserve.  In the midterms next month if the people are happy with the current government they can re-elect the current people in power if they are not happy new people will be elected.  I may not like the results (I was not happy in 2016) but win or loose the people get what they want. After all this is a democracy.

I agree and will remember this.   :thumbup;

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2018, 09:49:05 AM »

Paul:   I think they are 90 percent crooks.  Thus (Mostly)

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2018, 02:56:52 PM »

Only sort of.   The two party system is rigged to give us a choice of the approved candidates.   Look at the D superdelegate system (ever get a chance to vote on who your superdelegate is?) and how the Democratic power brokers reserved the nomination for Clinton.

And the electoral college system not only skews results but tells residents of states like NY and MA that "your vote doesn't count ... we will demonstrate by noting that both candidates spend no time or money trying to win your vote".   We will never know if H would have won the popular vote since the campaign strategy and public appearances would have been vastly different in an "every vote counts" system.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 02:59:16 PM by Simon Dog » Logged
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2018, 04:42:31 PM »

Yes it does work when people care.  The best example is Lisa Murkowski from Alaska last time she ran ultra right republicans ran a nasty campaign to unseat her in the Republican primary. So the election was run with democrat candidate a a republicanlican candidate.  After the primary it was too late for Murkowski to get on the ballot as a independent.  She ran as a write in candidate and won despite the requirement that only the votes with Murkowski spelled correctly would count.  Despite all the hurdles the people of Alaska’s chose Lisa Murkowski as there Senator. All term limits do is take the people’s ability to vote for who they choose.
Canadates would have to be chosen from new candidates who would not be independent from the party selection committees. Again I am a liberal democrat and not happy with the current government.  However unless evidence is presented that proves trump committed a crime he is the legitimate President.  He was chosen by the American people.  I lived through Bush Cheney. And I will probably live through trump pence if the republicans dot kill me by removing my health care options.  If they do kill me I can at least have a lasting comment on my head stone.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2018, 11:09:34 PM »

Yes it does work when people care.  The best example is Lisa Murkowski from Alaska last time she ran ultra right republicans ran a nasty campaign to unseat her in the Republican primary. So the election was run with democrat candidate a a republicanlican candidate.  After the primary it was too late for Murkowski to get on the ballot as a independent.  She ran as a write in candidate and won despite the requirement that only the votes with Murkowski spelled correctly would count.  Despite all the hurdles the people of Alaska’s chose Lisa Murkowski as there Senator. All term limits do is take the people’s ability to vote for who they choose.

What an amazing system that is.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2018, 11:12:28 PM »

Term limits allow people to vote for new blood without the trap of "If I don't vote for the incumbent, my state will lose the clout, good committee assignments, and ability to bring home the pork that comes with seniority relative to other senators and reps".  It's part of a rigged system to make congressional and senatorial seats one of the most secure jobs in the US.
sahern

Frozen in Alaska

« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2018, 02:05:43 PM »

I am from Alaska and the reason that Murkowski won is the  guy that the republicans put up was a lying cheat.  If the republicans had run a normal conservative she would not have stood a chance.  Most people I know could not vote for him.  I normally like Murkowski and agree with her on a number of things.  With her recent vote She has lost my support.  If she does run again she will not win.  I will vote against her even if it means voting for someone I do not agree with politically.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2018, 11:23:09 AM »

:thumbup;

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2018, 02:04:14 PM »

:thumbup;

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »