I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:51:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Hi Ya値l
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hi Ya値l  (Read 2677 times)
jdsquared

« on: September 24, 2018, 03:31:27 AM »

JD from the Atlanta area here. I知 a mid 50s guy who went from mild high blood pressure to stage 5 you need to be thinking about types of dialysis in less than 3 years. Needless to say, I have lots of questions, but especially about how dialysis affects work life. I have a very physical job and need advice from knowledgeable people.
Just from looking around the forum, I致e gotten lots of info already. I値l head over to the work threads to formally ask my questions. Thanks in advance guys
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 05:31:53 AM »

Welcome to the group. Unfortunately I doing have good advice regarding a labor intensive job. I do lift far more than the recommended weight with my fistula arm (formerly on HD), but don稚 know if it would do well with regular heavy lifting.

I don稚 know if social security disability is an acceptable option for you once you start dialysis but it is available for you due to kidney failure.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 06:46:48 AM by iolaire » Logged

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
jdsquared

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 06:45:00 AM »

I would like to stay at work if possible. Believe it or not, I enjoy my job, it keeps me active and outside, just don稚 know if I can do it while on HD or PD  Average bag weighs 30 pounds and I handle several hundred a day.  Maybe I知 being unrealistic
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 01:47:24 PM »

First off, Welclome to IHD!

Now with that out of the way, work.  30 lbx shouldn't pose a problem once you heal and slowly work your way back to your former capabable self.

Depending on the type of Dialysis you select, having a PD Catheter placed in your abdomen will take a while before your Dr will approve of you lifting 30 lb bags as doing so will place substantial abdominal pressures on your incision.  You sure don't want to cause a rupture.

Having a fistula in either arm for Hemo Dialysis will place a restriction on using that arm for a while but far less than you might think. While somoe have reduced strength from the reduced blood flow to the fore arm and hand, I have yet to notice any reduction in my function.

As to deciding which type of Dialysis may be best for you, there are far more things to consider before making your decision.   There are a couple of sites you can gain more information before deciding.  Kidney School is one.  There are learning modules that address every aspect of dialysis, Pro's and Con's of each. I highly recommend you spend time studying and seriously consider what may be the best fit for you.

kidneyschool.org

PD worked well for me for the 3 1/2 years I did that.  But I was already Medically Retired and worked at home, mostly just taking care of our large yard/garden and some of my toys.  It was awkward stopping whatever I was doing, cleaning up, goiong inside and doing an exchange.  Then going back out and trying to pick up where ever I had left off.

Hemo works well for me.  I have an early morning seat time.  Get in, get done, and get out.  And only three days a week, NOT that every day thing while on PD..  So Hemo works well for me.

Consider also the differences in diet restraints and fluid consumption.  PD there is virtually NO restrictions.  Daily treatments pretty well keep up with what ever you wish to eat and drink.  Not so with Hemo.  VERY tight fluid control depending on how much you sweat,, you may need to seriously limit your intake.  Dietary you will have to seriously limit your intake of potassium and phosphorus.

All this is pointed out at Kidney School as well.

Take Care,

Charlie B53
jdsquared

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 02:06:05 PM »

Thanks Charlie B53. I値l give the website a look. Need all the info I can get, pros and cons of each.
That 30 lb bag weight was average 😳. Very few way more than 50 though, no one wants to pay excess baggage fee!
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 01:50:59 AM »

Well, it seems to me that Charlie covered it all, so, therefore having nothing else to add, I will just say   :welcomesign;  to the site, every one here is glad to help where they can, so enjoy our great site.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 02:59:56 AM »

:welcomesign;
Hello JD, welcome to the site.

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »