I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:36:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Shingles vaccinations
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shingles vaccinations  (Read 8463 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2018, 08:05:33 PM »

May I ask a really dumb question? Heaven knows that's my reputation here!  :bandance;

So, in Canada, we have Shingrix commercials on tv and there are posters for it in the pharmacy, at least the one I go to. I knew it was a shingles vaccine, so I thought it wasn't suitable aka live vaccine, but now I see it's not, and suggested for tx patients.

It's noted that it's used to prevent shingles for people over 50 years of age so, my question is, does one have to be 50 and over to receive it? I'm a walking virus and infectious disease factory so it got me wondering. I'd email my tx team about it but I don't want to ask and then be told I'm dumb since it's not for my age group (yet...).

That's not a stupid question at all.  On the one hand, shingles tend to strike people who are older simply because they have "older" (ie, suppressed) immune systems.  Tx patients also have suppressed immune systems no matter our age.  It is certainly worth asking.  I suspect your tx team would be happy to have a patient who thinks about these things!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2020, 06:41:05 PM »

So, I was in the hospital due to.... immune blow out concerns!

But anyway, the point of sharing that, is that I finally got a definitive answer on this topic and thought I would share.

The tx infectious disease doctors gave my file a good going over and out of the blue, I asked about the shingles vaccine (Shingrix). As I said here before, I've not yet hit 50, let alone 40, but alas here we are, immune compromised and all that. They said most definitely I should get the Shingrix vaccine. No ifs, ands, or buts, I'm just as susceptible as a senior citizen now, due to my immune status. MooseMom, correcto mundo again!
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2020, 10:43:38 AM »

Similarly, you should get your flu shot from your neph if you are under 65.   (S)he may want you on the high dose flu shot instead of the regular, and this takes a medical order.  Unless you lie about your age you won't get the high dose before you are 65 by getting the shot from your local pharmacy or flu shot event without an MD order.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2020, 02:26:43 PM »

So, I was in the hospital due to.... immune blow out concerns!

But anyway, the point of sharing that, is that I finally got a definitive answer on this topic and thought I would share.

The tx infectious disease doctors gave my file a good going over and out of the blue, I asked about the shingles vaccine (Shingrix). As I said here before, I've not yet hit 50, let alone 40, but alas here we are, immune compromised and all that. They said most definitely I should get the Shingrix vaccine. No ifs, ands, or buts, I'm just as susceptible as a senior citizen now, due to my immune status. MooseMom, correcto mundo again!

Oh dear, I hate to ask, but what does "immune blow out" mean?  If you were in the hospital, it can't be good.  Is everything OK now?  What happened?

I'm glad, though, that you were able to get a definitive answer about the Shingrix vaccine.  It was a good question you raised! 

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2020, 03:27:26 AM »

Yep, right on about the flu vaccine at the doctor's office for the under 65 crowd!  :thumbup;

MooseMom, as you know, we have compromised immune systems to begin with and then stress (in general) wreaks havoc on anybody, even the healthy. My boss was piling on the work on a case/file/report because I'm the junior in the firm. 15 hours+ some days. High stress because he would micro-manage over me too. Add in only sleeping for 3-4 hours a night. Personal problems adding emotional reactions. This went on for awhile until I developed a fever and bone/joint pain that made it difficult to put weight on my legs. I rang the renal clinic who told me to ring the tx clinic (out of town). They made arrangements for me to get down.

I created a situation in which my (now diagnosed) chronic stress weakened my already compromised immune system, and as a result, allowed viruses they'd been monitoring to become active, as well, as general body saying, "No, white flag here"

Obviously, I was advised that I "have to" make changes for the "longevity of my transplant." As if that doesn't add more stress right now... It's tough to talk about it with the older generations (parents) because they start with, "Back in my day, we didn't have stress leave. You think we didn't have stress? You kids today are soft." So, I'm still pulling my hair out, but I have to remind myself about my transplants.

But hey, I am high priority for Shringrix... yay.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2020, 08:11:25 AM »

UT, thanks for the explanation; I am really sorry that you've been in such stressful situations for such a long time, so much so that your body finally had to yell and scream at you!

It is so silly when one generation demeans another and dismisses their experiences.  Every generation experiences stress generated by their unique times. 

I hope you are able to somehow rearrange your life so that you can stay healthy.

UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2020, 05:13:34 PM »

Thanks.

I've decided that once some cases/reports are concluded, I'll look for another job. Just want to last long enough for me to be able to get credit. This is no life, especially getting sick. It doesn't mean I'm a failure, I just need to handle this package (body) with a little extra care.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2020, 08:08:41 AM »

Thanks.

I've decided that once some cases/reports are concluded, I'll look for another job. Just want to last long enough for me to be able to get credit. This is no life, especially getting sick. It doesn't mean I'm a failure, I just need to handle this package (body) with a little extra care.

You're right.  It doesn't mean you're a failure, rather, it means you are smart to follow your sense of self-preservation.  It's not "failure" to reassess. 

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »