I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:43:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Caffeine consumption may extend life expectancy for people with kidney disease
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Caffeine consumption may extend life expectancy for people with kidney disease  (Read 3387 times)
rcjordan

« on: September 12, 2018, 05:10:37 PM »

"Our study showed a protective effect of caffeine consumption among patients with chronic kidney disease. The reduction in mortality was present even after considering other important factors such as age, gender, race, smoking, other diseases, and diet."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/09/180912081238.htm

Coastal US, NE North Carolina
2018 right nephrectomy - cancer. Left kidney not filtering, start hemo. After 3 months, start Nxstage home hemo
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 05:27:43 PM »

Priorto beginning Dialysis I drank the whole pot every morning, sometimes supplementing that with a couple of Cokes throughout my day.

As my kidneys got worse I cut out the Coke, but kept up my morning pot of coffee.

Once I started PD I noticed those days I had my pot of coffee and maybe a couplel of iced teas, that in the evening my heart would start 'skipping' beats.

I don't know how I figured it out but I stopped that whole pot and began drinking only my one LARGE cup of coffee, then switching to water.

Five years now and doing O.K.

I might have one beer mid-Summer while mowing the yard.  Otherwise only use alcohol for cleaning things.

I am a very firm believer in that "All things in moderation."

Except for Starfruit.

rcjordan

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 06:25:29 PM »

I drink 940ml black to start my day.  I used to drink another liter during the day, but dropped that when I went on the renal diet.

Coastal US, NE North Carolina
2018 right nephrectomy - cancer. Left kidney not filtering, start hemo. After 3 months, start Nxstage home hemo
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 07:08:23 AM »

Thanx for the article. No idea why a randomised large study still has not been done. Even the most conservative, stubborn, sanctimonious Learned one would have to be (at least) interested then. I'll just keep drinking my half a litre coffee a day. I still think it's down to luck I'm still here after 36 + yrs RRT though.....

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 11:04:39 AM »

Thanks for that, I love you, you are now my bestest friend. Next could you find a study that says I must eat more bacon, please. :)

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 07:53:29 PM »

Hallelujah   

:clap;   

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »