I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:33:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Pre-Dialysis
| | |-+  How long does the fistula take to mature?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How long does the fistula take to mature?  (Read 2373 times)
jambo101

« on: August 06, 2018, 04:44:21 AM »

Had the fistula operation about a month ago and am seeing no signs of a maturing fistula, how long does it take before its matured enough that dialysis can begin?

Jim
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 06:38:27 AM »

I think it's different for everyone but I'd think about 2 or 3 months. Are you doing exercises with a squeegy ball? Have you had a scan yet?

Good luck, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
lulu836

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 08:12:11 AM »

My vascular jake-leg surgeon never made the connection.  The first attempt failed to mature in 3 months.  The next attempts  for a fistula (5 of them) happened all in one night. Put me to sleep, cut my arm of his choice, wake me up, decide it will not work, put me to sleep..........on and on.  If he were not on staff at the hospital I use and also where the rest of the docs I use prictice I would have sued for medical malpractice immediately after I got out of physical rehab at the nursing home I stayed in for 6 weeks.  Also I had a couple of strokes one of which was while I was driving my van.  So totaled the van and went back to the hospital for another stay.

My forearm veins are so screwed up that I now don't have a lot of circulation in either arm.  Then in a subsequent surgery he went for a graft.  That didn't work either.  On the final surgery he put in a chest cather.  It works!  Suffice to say I feverently hope your fistula matures howver, in some cases they don't.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my kidneys the most.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 04:36:18 PM »

Mine initially grew only about an inch long then stopped.  6 months later Srgeon went in again and found a narrowing.  Took that out and raised the vein closer to the surface while he was there.  Still didn't mature well enough.  Angio'd the whole length, that helped a little but still not enough.

2nd Surgeon fouond another narrowing at the very beginning, ballooned that and things started growing.

Have been using it for a year now.  Still has a poor area in the very middle third so we just do not stick there as there is plenty of room above and below.

Figure now that if it works, don't fix it.

Someday will have another rouond of ballooning but all's well for now.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »