I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:11:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  How Long Does It Take to Get Off the Machine
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How Long Does It Take to Get Off the Machine  (Read 2617 times)
coldhoist

« on: July 30, 2018, 07:23:20 AM »

Am I getting frustrated for nothing. It seems to take an inordinate amount of time for my tech to get me off the machine. The alarm goes off and  I am am sometimes waiting a good ten minutes before my tech starts getting me off the machine, but it seems that when one of the nurses take me off, it is a lot quicker. It seems like the tech is handling too many patients for her skill level, she is hopping from two or three patients at the same time while I am sitting there holding my gauze for a good ten minutes waiting for her to finalize me and let me go. Should I just cool my jets and by patient or what?
How long does it take for you to get off the machine? When it is time to go, I am ready to go!!
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 08:04:11 AM »

I always felt it took about 30 minutes to get out the door.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 08:27:09 AM »

No you're not getting frustrated over nothing coldhoist. But you better stop it, so your bp doesn't rise for nothing (or please do, if your bp is too low  ;D ) because that's how it is unless you have the last shift of the day, and all staff wants to go home.

Best thing to do is learn how to take yourself of.

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 12:27:04 PM »

Hello,
 ... Sometimes there are more nurses and dialysis technicians at the very beginning of a shift and then, four hours later there seem to be less staff around and that's when it takes a bit longer and we have to be more patient. Also, for example, fistulas need much more time and attention to be taken off the machine than say, for example a chest-cath and in "my" center I also have to be very patient sometimes to either be put on or taken off ... But I don't mind because I know that the nurses and dialysis-technicians try their very best and give every single patient as much time as is needed.
Best wishes from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 04:57:30 PM »

The basic problem is patient scheduling.  A tech or nurse needs about 15 minutes to get a patient off of hemo Dialysys.  The person scheduling needs to consider when a patient gets on how long they are on for and any medical issues.  That is why patients need to be on time.  15 minutes late would cause a conflict with 2 patients getting off on time.  This is why I prefer first shift.  I don’t have to worry that the previous patient was late forcing me to get off late and possibly causing a conflict with a other patient getting off at the same time.  But remember this is a medical procedure and occasionally there will be problems.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 02:08:29 PM »

Learning to pull your own needles can help.   I am back in-center now (family issues forced it, would much rather DIY).   The RNs and tech know I do all my own needlework, so they do a great job of getting right to me for the flushback and then come back for a final sitting/standing BP check when I am taped up, packed up, weighed and ready 2 go.  It also helps with setup since I know when to arrive so I can go right in and get the needles going, then I rarely wait more than 2 minutes for a tech to plug me in.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »