I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:54:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Non-dairy Ice cream.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Non-dairy Ice cream.  (Read 4940 times)
Naynay99

« on: July 28, 2018, 12:07:55 PM »

Hey. So the other day I was longingly window shopping in the ice cream section of the freezer case at the grocery store, and came upon Ben & Jerry’s Dairy-free ice cream made with almond milk. 

Of course, some of the flavors might have other no no’s in them.  I didn’t look too closely.  But they had half baked w PB cookie dough, jerry Garcia, cinnamon bun, and one other flavor that I saw. 
I’m going away next week so goggled if the B&J scoop shops carry this and the one I will be near does- so I am gonna get some ice cream while there!
Will update with how it tastes.  Online reviews were good. 
Anyway, thought someone might be interested if u didn’t know they had such a thing. I think it’s so they can say it’s vegan, but if it’s renal friendly too than I’m all for it.  Take it easy.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 12:26:28 PM »

Almond milk is murky.  Most of the ones on the market are fortified with Calcium, so if you have any issues with blood Calcium, tread carefully.  There a couple of brands (Pacific is one) that don't have added calcium, but I don't think you can control what Ben and Jerry use.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 12:54:03 PM »

Dietician told me to avoid nut products as high in potassium

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
Naynay99

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 01:23:51 PM »

Yeah my dietician said to avoid nuts too, but she said that  almond milk is okay. Go figure!

Here is the ingredient list and nutrition info for the cinnamon bun flavor.  Nothing sounds bad but I suppose would best check.
ALMOND MILK (WATER, ALMONDS), LIQUID SUGAR (SUGAR, WATER), COCONUT OIL, SUGAR, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, WHEAT FLOUR, SOYBEAN OIL, CORN SYRUP, PEA PROTEIN, BROWN SUGAR, MOLASSES, CINNAMON, SUNFLOWER LECITHIN, SOY LECITHIN, SALT, BAKING SODA, NATURAL FLAVOR (COCONUT), GUAR GUM, LOCUST BEAN GUM.
Allergy Information: CONTAINS ALMONDS, WHEAT, COCONUT AND SOY. MAY CONTAIN OTHER TREE NUTS.

Obviously it’s still not good for y as it’s ice cream but sounds better than dairy version for P anyway

Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 02:30:46 PM »

Yeah my dietician said to avoid nuts too, but she said that  almond milk is okay. Go figure!

You are correct, almond milk is lower in both P and K than the stuff that comes out of cows (just looked it up).

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 10:27:32 AM »

In the very late 1980’s or 1990 we eat Tofuti ice cream and enjoyed it. Now it’s too sweet for me.
https://tofutti.com/frozen-desserts-2/pints/

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 11:19:30 AM »

From Tofuti's website:

WHY DO TOFUTTI PRODUCTS CONTAIN SO LITTLE CALCIUM?
All Tofutti products are 100% dairy free; therefore our products are not a significant source of calcium.

WHAT ARE THE POTASSIUM AND PHOSPHORUS LEVELS OF TOFUTTI PRODUCTS?
This is a common question for people with kidney dysfunction, since both potassium and phosphorus are known to aggravate kidney disorders. Due to the fact our products are totally dairy free, most are usually not a significant source of potassium and phosphorus. On some of our products we do declare potassium and phosphorus values, although we are not required to do so.

Typically, our packaging will state, “Not a significant source of Vitamins A, C, iron, calcium, potassium, or phosphorus.” “Not significant” is typically defined as less than 2% of the daily recommended adult requirements. In most of our products, potassium and phosphorus are usually just several milligrams per serving, with the potassium level slightly higher than the phosphorus level.

Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 11:24:10 AM »

Would also say that if, as their name implies, that the "faux milk" is made from tofu, then tofu is a highly recommended food stuff by every kidney dietician I have spoken to.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »