I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2018, 11:08:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
523570 Posts in 32800 Topics by 12141 Members
Latest Member: Jackie T
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories (Moderator: Vt Big Rig)
| | |-+  Traveling across Canada
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Traveling across Canada  (Read 219 times)
jambo101

« on: July 21, 2018, 04:26:35 AM »

The 3 day a week dialysis regimen is in my very near future,i was wondering what would be involved in travel across Canada, i currently reside in Montreal. Is there a network of dialysis centers across the country? and do i just make reservations to use a dialysis unit at any given location?
Paint me a picture of what its like '
Thanks
Jim
lulu836

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 08:06:40 AM »

Social worker or equivalent has to make all arrangements for US citizens.  Don't know about Canadians,

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my kidneys the most.
justagirl2325

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 01:37:49 PM »

Hi Jim

You'll have to arrange your visits with the hospitals you would like to dialysis in at least a month before your expected arrival date.  They want all the blood tests and stuff before they take you.  My husband did it (he's from Ontario).  He had dialysis in three other provinces on his way across the country.  The cost was 100% covered under the reciprical provincial health plans.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 12:54:55 PM »

Your renal social worker should be able to help you find dialysis units near where you are going, but don't be surprised if you find out they are too full.  I live on PEI and before we started doing evening shifts in Charlottetown, all four units on the Island were full and unable to take vacationing patients.  They had to go to Moncton, which is a 3 hour drive away.

There was a guy from Newfoundland a few years ago who put up a stink because he wasn't able to get dialysis on the Island while he was vacationing.  He was told 3 months before his trip that there wasn't room for him.  He was really po'd that they couldn't squeeze him in somewhere, but there wasn't anywhere to squeeze him in.  He went to the media, trying to shame the units to fit him in, but it didn't work.

My uncle lives near Truro, NS, and he has to go to Halifax for his dialysis because the Truro unit is full.  So he went from a 5 minute drive away to a 2 hour drive away.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »