I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:01:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Newbie PD Q's
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newbie PD Q's  (Read 4186 times)
deckm00

« on: June 14, 2018, 12:24:57 PM »

???  We're about to begin the PD training but I have a few questions for you all who have done this already or are just in the know.
1. I had visions of running a fixed drain line to an unused shower but I understand that the drain hose has to be replaced every day.  Why is that?
2. We'd like to find a piece of furniture just big enough for the Baxter machine setup.  Does anyone have any examples of something that doesn't look too utilitarian?
3. Does anybody have any suggestions about hiding or covering the unit when it's not in use?
4. In the US has anyone had any luck recycling all that plastic?

Thank you.
Cupcake

a good year for Chevys

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 08:37:01 PM »

I, too thought about a dedicated drain line but was told not to do it--I get cassettes with extended 20ft drain line and drain it into the shower. Works great.

I was given a plastic cart for the (Liberty) cycler but I don't use it for the machine. I find it handier to have a larger surface so I use a small hard plastic 'banquet' table that is 5 X 2 ft- holds cycler and all my supplies for set up/exit site care. I can wipe it down with alcavis or a Clorox wipe. I, too, want to keep my bedroom looking as nice and un-hospitalish as possible so I keep the large stacks of dialysis solutions in the guest room. Has worked out fine for a year and a half.

That chlorine disinfectant splashes on the floor, table, my pj's etc so I wouldn't trust it on good furniture. I dripped a glob of hand sanitizer on my antique walnut dresser and it left a mark. One time my cycler malfunctioned and a couple of cups of diasylate ran onto the floor so I was glad I had moved the oriental rug downstairs.

I recycle the boxes but haven't looked into the tubing- was told to not recycle it as the recycling center freaks out and thinks it's biohazard. Guess those baby diapers are sweeter!

Expect more time spent managing supplies/trash than you think and there are a lot of supplies. I am fortunate to live alone and I can reach the bathroom, washer and dryer, and mini frig for snacks when hooked up. I installed a home theater in my bedroom so I usually hook up around 9:30 and stay awake during the first cycle.

Everyone is different so you will find what works best for you. Best wishes.

PD for 2 years then living donor transplant October 2018.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 08:35:46 AM »

I did PD for 3 1/2 years before screwing up and causing an infection that wouldn't die, forcing my switch to Hemo.

There are a lot of supply boxes every month.  Stacked 5 or 6 high the length of our hallways PLUS that huge box of cassettes.

I used an old large fishtank table.  It fit half decently along a wall of my bedroom between the door and closet.  I covered the plywood top with heavy wide aluminum foil so it had an easy to clelaln and sterilize surface.  The lower shelf was handy to hold that huge box of cassettes and a couple other boxes of supplies, caps, clamps, chemicals, etc.  Small stuff.

Be double sure to keep all connections from touching anything, especially your skin.  No matter how clean we think our hands are there are still bad things on there that will try to kill you.  I learned the hard way.  It took me 3 1/2 years before I made my mistake, and I wasn't even aware that I had touched the fitting.  But an infection is sad proof of the error.

Stay Careful.

Charlie B53

Sp mod Cas
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 10:22:24 AM by cassandra » Logged
deckm00

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 02:47:58 PM »

Ok here's what I've got so far.
The drain line can be made long enough to reach either of our 2nd floor bathrooms so I'm not so concerned about it now.
The supply line can also be extended enough apparently so that we can locate the machine to the left of the bed and she would still be able to get to the bathroom while attached.  I've searched and found multiple nightstands that would be big enough to hold the machine as well as a couple bags, and would also have drawer storage.  I've attached a picture of the type of nightstand I'm hoping to get and I've also attached a drawing showing where we'd like to locate whatever new stand we purchase for that space.  I'd love to get your all opinions.  Like I said we'd rather it be something nicer looking versus utilitarian.   ??? Q - Does it have to be a surface that can be disinfected everyday?  If so maybe I could put a plastic or glass mat on top of it for that purpose?  We're not rich by any means but I don't care much about cost at this point, whatever makes my wife more comfortable is worth it.  I've also found that various printer dust covers would fit this Baxter unit so that during the day it's not there in the open screaming it's presence out loud.
Do you all find that the noise it makes is that bad?  Does it vary a lot or is it a constant drone kind of thing?  Do you have to be able to see the display while you're sleeping?  We've also scoped out where we'd put the supplies.  Thanks.
Cupcake

a good year for Chevys

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 08:02:42 PM »

You have to be able to wipe the top, and even tho I am careful the disinfecting solution gets flung about/dripped some. Would plan on not being able to keep that cabinet in good shape. Once when  in an Airbnb, I set the machine directly on a painted table, and the machine vibrations caused black scuff marks from the rubber feet. I was able to remove most of the marks with soft scrub, and now their table is a little shabbier chic. Shh don't tell. Since then I put a flattened cardboard box underneath when traveling.

I find the machine noise to be an annoyance; I have the screen set to go dark after a few minutes and that helps. The machine goes quiet when dwelling, except for the occasional grunt. So even though I feel like I'm sleeping and not checking the machine, I'm usually aware of where I am in the program (which cycle, draining vs dwelling etc) I bought a rubber floor mat for under the machine trying to dampen the noise, but thought it made it worse.

What works for me is to hook up and stay up thru the first cycle, then when it starts to drain, I go to bed and start out lying in the best drain position- mine seems very fussy. Then when the machine finally finishes in the morning, I get a few hrs of sleep to make up for being bugged by the noise overnight.

Hope that helps!

PD for 2 years then living donor transplant October 2018.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 10:08:52 AM »

My machine makes no noise at all--except when it alarms.  Make sure that you allow for the possibility that her RX will change sometime in the future.  I started out with just 2 6-liter bags and now I have to add a 3-liter bag to the mix.  RX's do change over time.

Make sure that everyone in the house is careful about not tripping over the extra tubing.  I find that the tubing is like an octopus reaching out to my ankle no matter how hard I try to step over it.  It can really trip you up.

All in all, PD is really a fairly simple process--even tho it can be burdensome at times.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
jckofheart

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 08:15:18 AM »

I just began home PD last week, and have been running the extended line into the toilet seems so much easier than dragging all those fluid bags in the morning to dump them.
mholiver

good pilots have a great wingman

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 04:08:18 PM »

I'm totally a function over form guy, so not so much help on the non utilitarian front.  (see my post of pics taken of my bedroom clinic)
That said, I find it way helpful to use puppy pads (cheapest generic) on top the surface with the disenfectant squirting on gauze pads in my case.
I hardly replacement a used one, but you can an often as you like.

let's be safe and be careful out there
best to all,
Mike in Nawlins'
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 02:54:52 AM »

I forgot to mention doing manuals I had an IV Pole.  When I started using a Cycler I moved that IV Pole next to my Cycler table and still used that to hang the second and third bags.  It really saved from laying out the table with bags.

As for machine noise, my first Cycler did make some sounds which I soon got used to.  After about a year with that machine it started having problems, more alarms, until one night it quit completely.  The replacement machine was much much quieter. But still made certain rhymic sounds during fills and drains.  Not bad and I think I soon got so used to the rhythm that it helped me fall asleep sooner.

Mr Ken

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 07:28:38 AM »

???  We're about to begin the PD training but I have a few questions for you all who have done this already or are just in the know.

Oh lord good luck...... but PD does have advantages and disadvantages... Expect to be working with PD much longer than Hemo though you do it at night... The session time does cut into the early evening hours.... Also you will not know how well it is doing until after you start. They may have to increase dwell time, amount of fluid, and number of exchanges.

1. I had visions of running a fixed drain line to an unused shower but I understand that the drain hose has to be replaced every day.  Why is that?

Extension drain lines have a length limitation. Baxter HomePro machines you can connect up to two length sections 12ft each for a total 24 feet. For sanitation reasons and clogging reasons the drain line should be replaced daily. If you start to get drain alarms that is because your drain line is going bad or too long in length.... 

Make sure you take the end of the drain line to wherever you are draining into. You do not want that line to move and dump onto the floor... Not if it happens but when it happens.... Keep in mind when you change the drain line you will have some waste fluid in the line... 

Drain bags are a pain to deal with..... That is what I am using now but will go the drain line route soon. If you are doing this on a floor you care about it would be a good idea to lay a plastic tarp down and put all the crap on it. Keep a plastic tote next to the machine and place any drain bags in the tote. Chances are you will have an accident spill at some point and that stuff will go all over the floor. If in the tote the liquid spill will remain in the tote and not on the floor. A well known supply company is replacing the carpet because after four spills. I had enough... and the carpet is badly soiled... I did not think it necessary to use a tote but yes use a tote... Design a better system.....

2. We'd like to find a piece of furniture just big enough for the Baxter machine setup.  Does anyone have any examples of something that doesn't look too utilitarian?

I would ask your dialysis center if you could have or purchase at cost one of the machine carts. They have a flat top surface a little larger than the foot print of the machine. The cart has a bottom shelf for the supplies, caps, masks, ointment applicators, gauze pads. The cart also has castors so the machine could be easily moved. Your set up will not blend into your setting no matter what you do. It will stick out like a sore thumb. Welcome to PD.

3. Does anybody have any suggestions about hiding or covering the unit when it's not in use?

I keep telling the folks at the dialysis center that damn machine is going to end up on the driveway in a thousand pieces. They say I would not do that if I were you.... Right out the second floor bedroom window onto the driveway.. Problem is I cannot get a good running start to push it out of the window. It would probably only go 7-8 feet before crashing down.. I want at least to go 14 feet out.... There will be a day when I say I have had enough and yep out the window! I will video it and put it up on youtube...

4. In the US has anyone had any luck recycling all that plastic?

There is still some liquid in the dialisate bags and if using drain bags it it is waste liquid so this is one of those in the trash disposables. Being green is the least thing I would worry about in dealing with all this. You will have a lot of garbage. Boxes could be cut up and recycled.

Thank you.

Welcome.

Experience cannot beat it....

Ken
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »