I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:52:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  The IHD Family - Our Members
| | |-+  Sorry I have been gone!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sorry I have been gone!  (Read 4605 times)
smartcookie

LMSW

« on: April 26, 2018, 09:33:11 PM »

It has been since January that I posted and a lot has happened recently. First of all, I no longer have a job. My dialysis clinic let me go the end of January. I still don’t like talking about it, but there it is. I went into a depression for about a month when something wonderful happened; I found out that I am pregnant! As many of you know, I was beginning to think I couldn’t get pregnant due to uterine polyps and fibroids. I was supposed to have surgery in January, but got fired a week before surgery and lost my insurance. My issue now is that I am 10 weeks pregnant with hyperemesis. It is a rare condition that is morning sickness on steroids. Without treatment for nausea and dehydration, it is deadly for the mother but the baby usually does fine. I was in the hospital last week for dehydration. Home health came today and I am on IV fluids and a zofran pump at home. Even with continuous fluids and nausea meds, I just threw up. I am miserable! I want to enjoy my pregnancy, but it is hard when you are sick all the time. I get really hungry but when I try to eat it feels like it will come right back up. Please pray my baby and I make it through this sanely! I am having a hard time being stuck for IVs, so I may end up with a picc or a midline.
Thank you for the sweet messages! It is nice to feel missed! I actually had been offered a new job with hospice, but they could not wait for me to get better and will be going with a different candidate. I am too sick to work anyways.

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 10:40:39 PM »

Bless your heart! You've certainly been going thru a lot. Glad you came back! We are here for you. So exciting about the baby news! Congratulations!!! Sorry your ill right now. Had a friend who went thru the same thing but it passed and she and the baby did fine the rest of the way. I'm sure it is scary for you and then to have the stress of what happened to your job but the bright spot is that YOU HAVE A BABY ON THE WAY!! Woo-HOO!!! Can't be anything more exciting and happier than THAT! Soak up all you can and enjoy this moment. Take good care of yourself and the baby, keep your strength up. Hope you find strength from your friends here because we ARE here for YOU! We can help hold you up...sending positive thoughts your way right now. Rest, relax and keep checking in with us so that we can help give you a nod, a nudge or prod or whatever you need...perhaps a big hug but DO check in with us. Please don't think you are alone...never, never, never. Jobs? You can always get another job but a BABY? Well...you know...they are precious gifts. A lifetime to be treasured. Oooh, welcome back! Glad to have your little bun in the oven joining us. Are you shopping yet? Picking out nursery colors?

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 10:56:32 PM »

Good luck with the baby and your health.  :guitar:

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 01:05:36 AM »

Congratulations on the baby, and good luck with your health problems. Remember that we are all thinking of you.

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 03:26:31 AM »

Dear smartcookie, many thanks for the update, it is very much appreciated!
I wish you all the best and also the best possible health through your pregnancy and also my best wishes to the precious little one... and I do hope the hyperemesis gets more bearable in time... I send you both my best wishes and please take great care for the two of you,
Good luck !!!
Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 03:37:21 AM »

You and Kate Middleton (The Dutchess) with the hyperemesis!  Maybe you have royal blood.  Congratulations on your "surprise" pregnancy.  I hope it goes very well from here.  Nice to have you back, SC.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 03:48:30 AM »

Thank you all! I am so sick that it is hard to remember by little one! I hope I am a good mom! I haven’t picked out much, just a baby Bible and some pacifiers. I was scared I was going to lose the pregnancy because my hormones weren’t rising normally. There wasn’t supposed to be anything on the ultrasound, but at five weeks there was a tiny dot with a heartbeat, albeit a low one. The next week, the heart rate was normal and my tiny one had doubled in size. Now he/she is making up for lost time and flooding me with hormones!
I am trying to make it with an IV at home. My hubby works a lot and my nurse could only get me in the side of my wrist, so changing the bag is difficult (I don’t have good control of my left thumb with where I am stuck.) Any tips for life at home with an IV? I was going to do bird baths with baby wipes, but I got vomit on my shirt last night and have no good way to change it.

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 06:28:50 AM »

Best wishes, I'm glad you are feeling good enough now to give us an update.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 08:30:54 PM »

We've been worried almost sick when you haven't come back for so long.

Jobs come and go.  It can be a serious shock but generally your life ends up much improved for it.

BABIES make life worth living.

Prayers for health of you both.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 06:57:01 AM »

Hello again, smartcookie,
... in recent years some evidence has been collected, stating, that listening to classical music during pregnancy (i.e. Mozart, J.S Bach, Purcell, J.C.Bach, Haendel etc.) assists the little one to develop a good ear for music and it also gives relaxation not only to the mother, but to the little one as well...
I send you two all the best wishes and good luck from Kristina.  :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 09:26:24 AM »

Congratulations and Good Luck SC!!!

:cheer:

Love, luck, strength, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
LorinnPKD

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 10:47:38 AM »

Smartcookie, so glad to hear from you.  And congratulations -- you will be a wonderful mom!

One of my dialysis techs went through a pregnancy with hyperemesis.  She had to do a picc line.  BUT!  She is fine, the baby is fine.

Wishing you an easier time as you manage this & so delighted by your news.
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 01:23:52 PM »

Thank you all! Today is a hard day. My IV had to come out yesterday due to swelling and pain. I am already dropping ketones and in danger of being admitted again. My Zofran pump isn’t helping much, do now I am on phenergan suppositories. That has helped some, but not enough. My mom is out of town because my grandfather is very sick. He might not make it. She is an only child, so she where she needs to be. I just want her here though. I guess we never outgrown the need for our moms.

Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 01:30:09 PM »

It is no substitute for a mother, but remember - we are all here for you.

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »