I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2019, 03:02:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
527797 Posts in 33153 Topics by 12285 Members
Latest Member: mattbrown
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Political Debates - Thick Skin Required for Entry (Moderator: Rerun)
| | |-+  Brexit to go?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brexit to go?  (Read 7839 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #125 on: March 31, 2019, 10:53:49 AM »

OK.

The UK is well and truly broken no matter what happens.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 11:48:11 AM by MooseMom » Logged

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #126 on: March 31, 2019, 10:41:16 PM »

..... that I personally have a very low opinion of Trump, but even I agree that we would have been better off if we had Trump negotiating Brexit.

Thatís pushing it a bit. Yes sheís obviously not capable of listening, negotiating, compromising etc. But itís the Conservative party thatís to blame for the referendum in the first place, Cameron to hold it and run away. And to be honest, the UK people for voting in the conservatives (and DUP)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
       still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Paul

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #127 on: April 01, 2019, 11:31:15 AM »

Thatís pushing it a bit.

I don't agree. In "peace time" she would no doubt make a better country leader than Trump, but her negotiations with the EU and with her own party were lame. Trump would have made a much better job of negotiating both in Europe and in Westminster. And I bet Trump would not have left everything to the last minute.

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #128 on: April 01, 2019, 11:56:30 AM »

Trump would have made a much better job of negotiating both in Europe and in Westminster. And I bet Trump would not have left everything to the last minute.

What on Earth makes you think this?  What has he actually "negotiated"?  He singlehandedly shut down the United States' Government for almost a month because Congress wouldn't give him all of the money he wanted for his wall, despite the fact that at least on 2 different occasions, Congress presented him a bi-laterally agreed appropriations bill calling for increased funding for border protection.  But because the proposed bill did not include as much money as he wanted specifically for the wall, he literally shut down the government.  There were Coast Guard families that had to go to food banks as a result of this brilliant piece of "negotiation".

He does not negotiate.  He demands.  And this is not necessarily a criticism.  It's just the way he is, and it for this reason that he enjoys the support of his like-minded base.  He sees negotiation as a weakness.

I'm sure there are many people who could have done a better job than May, but Trump is just not one of those.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Paul

« Reply #129 on: April 01, 2019, 12:16:53 PM »

Trump has got some stuff done while in office.

May has got bugger all done as far as Brexit is concerned, her biggest achievement was to call an unnecessary election then run a campaign that reduced her party from a safe majority to an unsafe minority that has to rely on other parties to prop it up.

Trump has got some things past the Senate.

Brexit wise May has got nothing past in Westminster, and nothing even past her own party.

Trump has had some (limited) success with foreign leaders.

Most/all world leaders consider May incompetent, all European leaders wouldn't piss on her if she was on fire.

To cap it all, the majority of Brits consider Trump to be a useless waste of oxygen, yet most of these people would gladly swap May for Trump if it were possible (probably send him back after Brexit is resolved though).

Also, Trump's "approval rating" amongst Americans is a hell of a lot higher than May's "approval rating" amongst the British.

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2019, 02:31:32 PM »

Paul, I'm not disagreeing with you about Theresa May.  But MPs on their own are making a right dog's dinner out of things.

While Theresa May is surely imcompetent, at least the people surrounding her campaign haven't been indicted or imprisoned or investigated by the British equivalent of a special counsel.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 02:35:13 PM by MooseMom » Logged

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #131 on: April 01, 2019, 03:24:12 PM »

Now that MPs have voted "no" on all four options in today's indicative vote, how do you all think this will end up?  Any guesses?

Paul

« Reply #132 on: April 01, 2019, 04:08:24 PM »

While Theresa May is surely imcompetent, at least the people surrounding her campaign haven't been indicted or imprisoned or investigated by the British equivalent of a special counsel.

That I'll give you. Stupid and useless but not criminal (well unless you came over on the Windrush, then you might argue that point).

Now that MPs have voted "no" on all four options in today's indicative vote, how do you all think this will end up?  Any guesses?

Up a certain creek without a paddle.

I'm hoping it will mean a second referendum, but I'm fearing "no deal Brexit".

cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2019, 03:26:52 AM »

I think  :angel;  the only majority compromise in parliament :angel;  will have a customs union in. UK will be in EP elections, general elections will have to follow. So there could be Brexit, stay in Customs Union incl. freedom of movement, but no say for UK in EU/EC and the UK staying a net contributor to the EU.

I do hope Nigel Farage feels This is Great Britain again

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
Paul

« Reply #134 on: April 03, 2019, 11:37:07 AM »

I think  :angel;  the only majority compromise in parliament :angel;  will have a customs union in. UK will be in EP elections, general elections will have to follow. So there could be Brexit, stay in Customs Union incl. freedom of movement, but no say for UK in EU/EC and the UK staying a net contributor to the EU.

I do hope Nigel Farage feels This is Great Britain again

If we get what you suggest, Nigel Farage will definitely NOT feel that this is Great Britain again! He has stated many times that remaining in the customs union would be a betrayal of those people who voted out. Oh and Reese-Mogg has threatened "civil unrest" if we remain in the customs union.

However, now that May is talking to Corbin, we will probably get a custom's union, as that is one of his "red lines". And although we will not have free movement, it appears probable that the EU will allow us visaless travel (last I heard was that they were voting on this and likely to agree - after all, they want our Tourist euros).

Your last suggestion ("no say for UK in EU/EC and the UK staying a net contributor to the EU") is pretty much going to happen unless we withdraw Article 50.

If this is how it pans out, then IMHO it is the best of a bad lot of choices. Other than withdrawing Article 50 (which is my prefered option) I doubt we could do any better.

cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #135 on: April 04, 2019, 12:39:45 PM »

O I So want the UK to withdraw article 50

:bow;

But that can only happen after the UK people have had their say. That is unlikely to happen, and Ūf it were to happen, it could verywell become even worse.

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
« previous next »