I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:45:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Advocacy
| | |-+  Sign Petition- US House of Reps: H.R.3976--Dialysis Help
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sign Petition- US House of Reps: H.R.3976--Dialysis Help  (Read 3663 times)
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« on: April 13, 2018, 05:55:58 AM »

I just signed the petition, “U.S. House of Representatives: Support legislation to keep dialysis patients insured. Pass H. R. 3976 today..” I think this is important. Will you sign it too?
Here’s the link:
https://www.change.org/p/u-s-house-of-representatives-support-legislation-to-keep-dialysis-patients-insured-pass-h-r-3976-today?utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_signer_receipt&utm_campaign=triggered&share_context=signature_receipt&recruiter=677096666

Thanks

Low-income Americans with high-cost chronic conditions, like kidney disease, often require charitable assistance to pay for their health insurance premiums. But some insurance companies are refusing to accept payments from non-profit organizations. This puts low-income and financially struggling patients at risk of losing their insurance.

Patient advocates for the American Kidney Fund started a petition to help address this crisis.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 08:33:42 AM »

What?  Are there changes coming to Medicare that would kick dialysis patients out of their chairs?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 08:40:18 AM »

Insurers would be well advised (financially, not morally) to refuse premiums paid by kidney charities as such clients are guaranteed money losers.    I suppose the charities could pay the premium to the patient for remittance to the insurance company, but some poor people would not know how to properly manage that money.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 09:21:54 AM »

So I view some of the things that happen, like dialysis centers "donating" to funds which pay for patient's insurance at their own centers as a bit shady.  Most of us know that insurance pays way more for dialysis treatments then Medicare/Medicaid.

I think the bills are to try to stop somethings that happen like this:
UnitedHealthcare accuses dialysis firm of improperly switching patients to private insurance

Its the same with Drug prices.  A company will raise the price of a drug outrageously and then offer a patient "assistance" program.  By doing that "donation" they are able to justify price gouging everyone else.

I'm someone that does want everyone to have access to insurance and healthcare.  So I just want to point out that there probably is two sides to this issue and both sides likely have valid goals and complaints...

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »