I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:50:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Spelling In My Posts
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spelling In My Posts  (Read 5140 times)
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« on: March 24, 2018, 01:31:09 PM »

:) If my spelling looks wrong in some of my posts, it is not my spelling, it is yours (unless I use the wrong word eg. "Their" for "there", a mistake like that would be because I am an idiot). I have recently changed my browser's spell checker to a proper English one (would have done it ages ago, but only just worked out how). So if you see a post that looks wrong it is probably because you speak a foreign language that thinks it is English (eg. American).
 :ukflag;

:usaflag; :Kit n Stik;
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 01:32:11 PM by Paul » Logged

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 06:03:56 PM »

Spell checkers can introduce errors (their/there, weather/whether) that made the poster look like an idiot even if she was learned good in publik skool.
Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 02:59:10 AM »

made the poster look like an idiot even if she was learned good in publik skool.

I was learned in a privat skool, which is one up from a publik skool, but without a spell checker I spell allful.

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 01:23:36 PM »

Using my laptop in hospital, which still thinks it is American. So for today and tomorrow, back to USA spellings (except where I catch it and correct it).

cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 02:35:58 PM »

:) If my spelling looks wrong in some of my posts, it is not my spelling, it is yours (unless I use the wrong word eg. "Their" for "there", a mistake like that would be because I am an idiot). I have recently changed my browser's spell checker to a proper English one (would have done it ages ago, but only just worked out how). So if you see a post that looks wrong it is probably because you speak a foreign language that thinks it is English (eg. American).
 :ukflag;

:usaflag; :Kit n Stik;

Dear Paul, I enjoy correcting spelling, even when it is obviously a deliberately stupid one.

:angel;

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 04:04:55 PM »

I STILL tend to spell "favour" and "colour".  My laptop has not automatically corrected these into American English, but it HAS underscored them as "incorrect".

I have to be really, really careful with dates.  03-05-2018.  Is that May 3rd, or is it March 5th?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 01:24:10 AM »

I have to be really, really careful with dates.  03-05-2018.  Is that May 3rd, or is it March 5th?

Yes, that date thing is a real pain when you use both British and American websites. Buying or signing up, and getting asked a date and you have to think which country they are in before typing. The worst are those who ask for your date of birth as a security question, get it wrong and you are locked out.

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 07:32:26 PM »

my brain automatically saw March 5, but that could be because we tend to use the British version of just about everything

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »