I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:13:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Harry Secombe Is Beginning To Look Like My Second Home.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Harry Secombe Is Beginning To Look Like My Second Home.  (Read 6206 times)
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« on: May 24, 2018, 01:15:49 PM »

Back in hospital again, just overnight this time (I hope). Tomorrow they are going to shove a camera where no camera has a right to go. And no, I have no idea why. Best guess: I insulted the wrong nurse or doctor, and this is their revenge!

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 01:19:54 PM »

Before the camera gets up close and personal I have to drink three litres of some "preparation". Not only is it truly revolting in taste, but I know that come my next dialysis I will be told off for drinking too much!

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 01:43:21 PM »

Before the camera gets up close and personal I have to drink three litres of some "preparation". Not only is it truly revolting in taste, but I know that come my next dialysis I will be told off for drinking too much!
Isn't that stuff bad for the kidney?  I could not really drink it maybe did a liter, tasted like fish slime.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 01:51:24 PM »

tasted like fish slime.

Yeah that is the stuff. No idea what it does to kidneys, but my stomach says it is killing it.

kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 02:31:55 PM »

Sorry, Paul.  Hope your hospital stay is short and sweet.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 01:27:24 AM »

Thanks, if everything goes to plan I should be here less than 48 hours.

Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 05:58:56 AM »

It probably should have been obvious, but no one told me that the fish slime stuff was extra super strength laxative. Last night I think I broke the speed record for getting across the Harry Secombe ward from bed nine to the toilets using just two legs and a walking stick.

Hell, I think I probably beat the time of the guy who did it in a jet propelled wheelchair (assuming someone once crossed Harry Secombe ward in a jet propelled wheelchair, which I doubt).

SooMK

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 06:59:03 AM »

I'm so sorry. Been there, done that and it's truly such nasty stuff. Best of luck!

SooMK
Diagnosed with Uromodulin Kidney Disease (ADTKD/UMOD) 2009
Transplant from my wonderful friend, April 2014
Volunteering with Rare Kidney Disease Foundation 2022. rarekidney.org
Focused on treatment and cure for ADTKD/UMOD and MUC1 mutations.
Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 11:06:01 AM »

Best of luck!
Thanks

Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 11:35:28 AM »

OK I made a right pig's breakfast of that. Because I was diabetic and had been "Nill by mouth" since the evening before, they booked me for "before midday". Midday past and I was beginning to feel confused and so worried that this meant my blood sugar was dropping (I forgot to bring my test kit) so I asked a nurse to ring through and see how much longer. Half hour later she had still not been able to get an answer, so I told her and another nurse that I'd go round to that department and speak to them in person. Big hospital, long walk (actually in a different building on the other side of the compound) so took a few minutes.

When I got there they had no record of me on appointments. The helpful receptionist 'phoned round to find out what was going on. Turned out they had sent a porter to bring me over while I was walking across. He had not found me there, asked a nurse, not one I'd told where I was going, and she told him I had been worrying about my blood sugar so had probably gone to eat. Eating would have made the test impossible, so they scratched me off the list.

Fortunately, when they found the error they took me in and did the unpleasant camera work. So I is done now, and I can tell you it is not a nice experience.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 11:37:34 AM by Paul » Logged

Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 11:44:31 AM »

Oh, and I found out why I was having the test. Apparently you don't get a transplant if you have any colon/bowel cancer, so they do a check before putting you on the list. The camera operator said he did not find anything (his words: "No scary stuff.").Which is good news on two fronts. Firstly I don't have bowel/colon cancer (always nice to know) and secondly, I am one step closer to getting a free ticket in the "Win A Secondhand Kidney" lottery.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 02:06:05 PM »

Oh, and I found out why I was having the test. Apparently you don't get a transplant if you have any colon/bowel cancer, so they do a check before putting you on the list. The camera operator said he did not find anything (his words: "No scary stuff.").Which is good news on two fronts. Firstly I don't have bowel/colon cancer (always nice to know) and secondly, I am one step closer to getting a free ticket in the "Win A Secondhand Kidney" lottery.

The thinking is that if you have cancer, the post-tx immunosuppressants would accelerate the growth of an active malignancy.  All of these tests are done to make sure your cardiovascular system is OK, that you have no active infection and/or you have no malignancy of any sort.  A colonoscopy is pretty much standard for anyone looking to be listed.

I'm very pleased you passed this test!  Yay!   :clap;  You're right...one step closer!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 07:27:59 PM »

It probably should have been obvious, but no one told me that the fish slime stuff was extra super strength laxative. Last night I think I broke the speed record for getting across the Harry Secombe ward from bed nine to the toilets using just two legs and a walking stick.

Hell, I think I probably beat the time of the guy who did it in a jet propelled wheelchair (assuming someone once crossed Harry Secombe ward in a jet propelled wheelchair, which I doubt).

I was gonna say... don't worry about the fluid intake, cuz it all comes out the end....... *LOL*

I've had it done, but it was because my hemoglobin had dropped to 77 and no one knew why.  They were looking for some kind of internal bleeding.  I had a scope and a colonoscopy at the same time.  I was given some kind of conscious sedation, so I don't remember what was actually done, and what I do remember wasn't real.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 12:53:51 PM »

don't worry about the fluid intake, cuz it all comes out the end....... *LOL*

Yup, dialysis a few hours after camera, I was exactly 1 litre over dry weight lowest I have ever been (and the previous lowest was during a bout of diarrhea).

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 07:31:35 AM »

don't worry about the fluid intake, cuz it all comes out the end....... *LOL*

Yup, dialysis a few hours after camera, I was exactly 1 litre over dry weight lowest I have ever been (and the previous lowest was during a bout of diarrhea).

I remember sitting on the toilet for several hours, and I didn't even drink the whole thing.  My brother was giving me such a hard time over drinking it, I was thinking about mixing what was left over in his beer and see what he thought of it.  I was on PD at the time, so I wasn't really paying attention to dry weights.  I do remember having to stay on a liquid diet for a few days beforehand too, but then, that was almost 15 years ago, so my memory might not be that great

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »