I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:51:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Reply characters, can you actually see them or guess like me?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reply characters, can you actually see them or guess like me?  (Read 5353 times)
KevinWilson

« on: March 15, 2018, 05:00:31 PM »

So, when I try and respond to comments, the APTIVE they give which asks you to write the characters, the type the number, can you actually read them?  Many times, they are squares or // and the response is rejected. I have to guess the character. The type number is ALWAYS thirteen. (8 + five). Most of my responses I have given up because the APTIVE is not legible,  does anybody else have the same problem?????????????
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 01:22:25 AM »

Hi Kevin, I'm sorry I don't understand what you are asking?

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 03:06:44 AM »

I suspect he is seeing one of those anti-bot screen frames that show a skewed vision of a letter/number string that must be entered correctly to prove it is a real person making the submission.  Capcha is one version I have seen elsewhere.

I was not aware that IHD was using this.

Is it possible that this users computer/version renders our pages differently?  As I have yet to see anything like this here, but then again as a 'Mod'' I may have some previlages that regular members do not.

Many of these things have a 'Refresh' option that can be used when you cannot understand the characters displayed.  Hitting that 'Refresh' button  changes the characters, hopefully into something more easily recognized.  Some have and 'Audio' option that will have the computer generated voice speak the characters.
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 05:00:25 PM »

As I have yet to see anything like this here, but then again as a 'Mod'' I may have some previlages that regular members do not.

I am not a mod, I have no extra privileges. I don't get any anti-robot screen, and I didn't when I was a newbie of only 12 posts (I've not been a member long, so can remember).

Is is possibly GEO or ISP related, and KevinWilson is either from a country, or uses a service provider that has a history of hackers or spammers, so all people from there are tested?

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 06:47:00 AM »

I’ve always had problems with this crap but recently I was quizzed by one that was great, it showed about 15 thumbprint photos and asked you to select  the photos that contained road signs  or one that contains houses. Much easier than figuring out the letters.
Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 10:18:27 AM »

recently I was quizzed by one that was great, it showed about 15 thumbprint photos and asked you to select  the photos that contained road signs  or one that contains houses. Much easier than figuring out the letters.
That, I believe, is software produced by either Google or Alphabet Inc. (Google's parent company). But they have an even better one. It is simply a form with just one largish check box with the option "I am not a robot." You click on the check box and submit and if it believes you, that is all there is to it. I'm told there is a lot more to it than that, that a server side and client side set of scripts monitored your activity to see if you acted like a human or a robot as you surfed the page, clicking on the check box is only the final test, but you are unaware of the earlier tests. If the scripts decide you are not surfing the page in a human way, then when you click the check box to say you are human it gives you a second chance to prove yourself by throwing that "identify certain things in these pictures" test that you mentioned.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 10:19:52 AM by Paul » Logged

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 10:26:18 AM »

I must have missed the first screen with the check box cause I don’t allow java scripts to run on my iPad.
Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 10:31:03 AM »

I must have missed the first screen with the check box cause I don’t allow java scripts to run on my iPad.

The picture pick method does not only come after the check box, sometimes it come alone. I'm guessing it depends on which script the web designer licenced from Google/Alphabet.

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 12:20:31 PM »

I’ve always had problems with this crap but recently I was quizzed by one that was great, it showed about 15 thumbprint photos and asked you to select  the photos that contained road signs  or one that contains houses. Much easier than figuring out the letters.

being someone with a visual impairment, I hate that picture one.  I usually can't make out what the pictures are to figure out if there are trees or grass or mountains in them.  I'd rather the one with the letters.  It makes more sense to me, and if I can't see it, I can either refresh or get it to read it to me

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »