I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:32:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Waiter, I'll Have A Potassium Sandwich With A Side Of Phosphate.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Waiter, I'll Have A Potassium Sandwich With A Side Of Phosphate.  (Read 3353 times)
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« on: March 07, 2018, 02:20:51 PM »

The dietitian made her annual visit to the clinic today. I knew already that my phosphate and potassium levels were in the safe zone, but apparently they are so low in the safe zone that they are nearly too low. So I am now encouraged to eat more vegetables, have the occasional coffee, and best of all I have a weekly peanut allowance. I really miss peanuts, peanut butter (I can get sugar free) and peanut candy (ditto). Maybe even the occasional Reese's Cup. Don't tell the dietitian that, as they don't make a sugar free version, but Reese's Cups are the food of the gods (forget ambrosia), I'll do a little sugar for the occasional Reese's Cup.
:bandance; :bandance; :bandance; :bandance; :bandance; :bandance; :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Whenever I'm angry with America because of something stupid one of you has done (usually your president, and not only Trump), I remember that America gave the world Reese's Cups and take my finger off the red button. (Yeah I got a red button, so watch out all of you!)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:23:15 PM by Paul » Logged

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 03:51:20 PM »

As a child i had a daily Reese's cup.  Probably why I became diabetic.  :stressed; :(

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 07:34:17 PM »

I have a stash, three BAGS of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups! I have to keep it hidden so when Son comes over he won't eat them all.

I don't even eat one a week.

I think I'm doing just fine.  Self-control is a bitch, but if we don't, well, let's just say we know better.
lulu836

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 08:50:17 PM »

I'm very happy to learn that I am not the only one who stashes away the "forbiddens"! :thumbup; I was just thinking a few minutes ago that if by some magic I regained full use of even 1 healthy, functioning kidney I would never, ever again be without an ice-cold beverage at my fingertips with full permission to drink as much and as often as I desired.  ::sigh::

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my kidneys the most.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 08:22:17 AM »

I've found that, as with most things in live, moderation is key.  When you're looking over the lists of foods to avoid, first cut out the stuff you probably wouldn't eat anyway.  For me, it was the leafy greens.  Whenever I ate those, I always felt like I was eating grass.  I also don't eat a lot of beans, so they're out.  The only nuts I really like are cashews, and we only get them at Christmas, so that's covered.  When it comes to fruit, I stick to grapes and apples, since they are my favorites anyway.  The only exceptions to that would be strawberries in the summer, and clementines at Christmas. Dairy is harder.  The only milk I use is the itty bit that I use in my tea.  Ice cream is for special occasions, and chocolate is for extra special occasions.  Cheese is my downfall.  I do try to cut out as much other dairy products so I can have my cheese, and I try not to forget binders.  I try to avoid processed food as much as possible, but I do like my hotdogs and Kraft Dinner *L*  I've found that if I don't go overboard, my labs are still pretty good.  I see my dietician every month after bloodwork, and she goes over it with me, and gives me pointers on how to fix things that are too high or too low.  Usually, she just tells me to keep doing what I'm doing, because it works

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 05:15:36 AM »

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;  I relate to that request!  LOL.  I love Reese's cups and Snickers, but I avoid them.  Even the smallest size is loaded with the phosphorus and potassium.  Usually, with treats like that I chew on them taste them, and spit them out.  That's kind of gross, but I rarely do it.  I used to love cheese, but I avoid it now.  I do eat a pepper swiss vegetarian cheese, but it's low in protein and potassium.  It's a little high in sodium.  That's my main problem, sodium.  I'm getting better at avoiding it.  I cook my own burgers instead of going to a drive-thru.  That cuts sodium and phosphorus.  And I take my binders. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »