I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 21, 2018, 08:54:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
519233 Posts in 32487 Topics by 11919 Members
Latest Member: JohnnyD
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Diabetes (Moderator: Vt Big Rig)
| | |-+  Please educate me
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Please educate me  (Read 197 times)

« on: January 24, 2018, 07:12:24 AM »

I want to know more about type 1 and type 2 diabetes. What are the differences? If you develope diabetes post transplant, is it considered type 1 or type 2? For those that are diabetic, what type are you?what is your insulin therapy method, pump, shots, pens ,pills etc. And what are your likes and dislikes about the method you use?

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 02:43:39 PM »

Type one you are usually born with, type two you develop later in life (usually middle age or later, but it can be earlier). I would guess that diabetes from your post transplant meds would be classed as type two, but there may be a third classification for chemically induced diabetes, I have no idea about that. I am type two, I use an insulin pen. Likes: it is easy. Dislikes: having to do it several times a day. Also the fact that it sometimes causes cramp.

British And Irish members (and anyone else, from anywhere in the world, who is interested) please read this thread:
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=34288.0 (Click Here to go there.)
Premium Member
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 04:26:27 AM »

I am type 2. I refused insulin and my doc prescribed Glymeperide.  In several months this took my A1c from 9 to 6.  Just one pill/day and no poked from needles. I'm 76.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Charlie B53
Global Moderator
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 04:45:52 AM »

One of the most important issues with our diabetis is tightly controlling our diet.  Cutting severly back on the processed flour which the body easily converts to blood sugar, rapidly raising our sugars and increasing our need for insulin.
Instead  of eating the regular breads we are buying that 35 or 40 carb breads which are about half the carbs of regular breads.  Reducing portion sizes of pasta.  Eating leaner meats as even the fats in meats are partly converted to blood sugars.

More fresh and frozen vegetables, fresh fruits, if canned select those in light syrup, water, or fruit juice.

WALK more.  The big muscles in the legs burn sugar and can lower your sugar readings 10 or 15 points with just a short walk.

I became diabetic 6 months after starting PD a little more than 4 1/2 years ago.  My last A1c was 5.8 I am very fortunate.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »