I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 12:22:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  IVIG- Treatment for HIGH ANTIBODIES so you can GET A TRANSPLANT!!!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: IVIG- Treatment for HIGH ANTIBODIES so you can GET A TRANSPLANT!!!!!  (Read 33302 times)
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2009, 06:16:02 PM »

Awesome Julian! I will be following closely  :cuddle;

http://www.kimhoben.com
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2009, 06:25:23 PM »

Great news!  We are very excited for you   :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
julian230

Ah cha cha!

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2009, 06:31:53 PM »

Thank you! Thank you all ! This is obviously most beneficial to those who have had previous kidney transplants , or have had any types of birth or any other reason to raised PRAs. So the article is not working ? The medication is called  Velcade , or bortezomib .  (Take that spell checker!) Google that , +transplant. That might be more helpful.
julian230

Ah cha cha!

« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2009, 06:56:27 PM »

In case you don't have time to peruse the internet all day looking for the GOOD articles , here they are
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/besttreatments/2008/dec/30/new-treatment-shows-promise-for-kidney-transplant-patients
http://www.healthcentral.com/newsdetail/408/622609.html
http://myeloma.org/main.jsp?type=article&id=1201
https://trialx.org/clinicaltrialinfo/81850/kidney-transplant-velcade-high-immunological-risk/
http://www.health-journal.co.cc/2009/01/kidney-transplants-patients-can-be-help.html
Alhough I'm sure it repeats itself.
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2009, 05:23:17 AM »

Wow, this is very cutting edge stuff.  It seems to be gaining very widespread attention, very quickly.  Are you at the hospital where they did the original trials?  It's great that you hooked up with docs who are involved in the next phase.  You will definitely have to keep us posted about this journey.  :cuddle;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
julian230

Ah cha cha!

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2009, 05:31:40 PM »

Unfortunately I'm not at a hospital does did the original trials. The original trials were at the Cincinnati hospital, and than I believe the Mayo Clinic did some studies too, but with every news I got bad news today . Today they told me they might have to hold of because the insurance company (of course) does not want to pay for it because it is considered experimental. Which is funny , because IVIG cost something like 50k while this drug cost 13k (considerably cheaper) . We are hoping that the doctor who wants to try this stuff out will write a letter of how much he believes this will work, but for the mean time, it will NOT be tried out yet  on me  I absolutely HATE this roller coaster ride of "yes , no , yes , no ... this drug that drug" . I wish it was as simple as Yes you'll get it ! But nooooooooo! Oh well! I'll keep you guys posted .
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2009, 05:50:16 PM »

Sorry that the news was not what you were hoping for today.  Maybe the doc's letter will help.   :cuddle;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Beth36

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2009, 07:55:40 PM »

My mother had a positive crossmatch transplant in June at Mayo Clinic. She was given the drug Jill spoke about and was the first person to receive it. Her antibodies are at low levels and she is doing great. She had plasmapheresis and IVIg. Her doctors are Dr. Stegall and Dr. Gloor also. I hope everything works out.

Beth

Mom had positive crossmatch transplant at Mayo Clinic on 6/13/08!!
julian230

Ah cha cha!

« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2009, 09:43:17 PM »

Beth36, do you remember the drug name? Was it experimental? How she end up getting it?
Beth36

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2009, 07:46:39 AM »

Juilan, the name of the drug is eculizamab....it was something the doctors at Mayo decided she needed to try because of her high antibodies. It protects the new kidney from being attacked after the transplant. She had to have it because her PRA was high....it fluctuated some but never went down really low. She was given IVIg before the transplant for a day. Then, she had the transplant. The drug was administered for a few weeks every couple days until she went home from Mayo. By home, I mean when she was able to leave the state of Minnesota and go HOME. She stayed at Mayo for a long time but my parents rented an apartment in a building near the hospital. They used this drug on other transplant patients, just not on kidney transplant patients. My mom was participating in a study and they told her she was the first person to receive this drug and she was considered a success. Now that she and a few others now have used it, they are hoping to get FDA approval for the use in kidney transplant patients. I don't know if it's considered experimental, per se....it is used, just not in kidney patients until recently. I so hope you find answers and get to use the meds you need for your PRA and transplant.

Beth

Mom had positive crossmatch transplant at Mayo Clinic on 6/13/08!!
pam49

« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2009, 04:14:03 AM »

I have 98% antibodies.They said finding a match would be slim and none.And slim was on vacation.All my kids and my sisters were tested.Then I have a sister that my Mom adopted.She has had sooo many miscarriages(too many to  count) and she has 3 living children.She kept saying that she was my match because she probably has so many antibodies too.She is my match.We are waiting for her 24 hour urine test results.But so far so good.We go to class April  9th.So there is hope.

with God all things are possible!
Find beauty in all things
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2009, 05:13:59 AM »

Oh Pam!  Congrats!

julian230

Ah cha cha!

« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2009, 05:39:36 PM »

Pam that story gives inspiration that ANYTHING is possible! Thank you. Beth thank you for explaining all of that info to me.
The insurance (and surprisingly) approved the drug Velcade! So they I can start , this is the longest road I've been in my life, and there is a hundred more miles of this road .
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2009, 06:05:50 PM »

Wow Julian, this is great news!  If you can just take it one day at a time, before you know it you will be looking back.  :cuddle;

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2009, 07:58:28 PM »

, this is the longest road I've been in my life, and there is a hundred more miles of this road .

Yes indeed, but you just hitched a ride and peeled off a good chunk of it.   :thumbup; Excellent news Julian.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
slk76

« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2009, 04:06:44 PM »

Hi there
I finally get to respond after almost 2 years :)
It is not true that IVIG will only work with living donors.  3 years ago when I was getting my transplant and doing IVIG there was a young man at Cedars who was also doing IVIG but had no living donor.  The idea was to keep his PRA down so that when a matching donor came up he'd be able to take the kidney :)
So you CAN do IVIG without at living donor, at least at Cedars.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2009, 01:04:22 PM »

My  :twocents;   At my yearly round of tests yesterday at the transplant center, the surgeon said "with your PRA you will never get a call, we have to do something to improve your chances"   We went through all my history--listed at two centers and why. Living donors tested and denied.  So, he is going to do high dose IVIG therapy with Rituxan to see if my PRA will go down at all.  It will increase my chance for a cadaver kidney.   The Rituxan is used in chemotherapy for non-Hodkins lymphoma. It kills b-cells and helps to "erase the memory" and hopefully reduce my antibodies.  It will be given once a week,for 8 hours, for a month.  The Rituxan causes the side effects you have with any chemo. And they have to overload you with fluids to administer it, but the surgeon feels it is worth trying and I will be well monitored.   He said I was the most informed patient he has had and that is why he is willing to try anything to help me. He can tell I am committed and compliant and educated.  Thank you IHD!  And yes, I told him about the forum!  He has a very serious face.  He looked at me and said"this is me laughing"   :rofl;  He loved the sites name.   So, tell me your opinions--good and bad.  I have stopped thinking about a transplant for awhile and know this might not make any difference. I am not thinking this is a miracle.  But, another step in the whole process.  I am between hopeful and scared.  And stressed.  I know, breath deeply!!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2009, 04:00:17 PM »

Paris,
I hope this works for you. I have the same issue with my highest PRA at 96%. They now do IVIG at Stanford but have told me I need to be nearer the top of the transplant list for them to consider giving me the treatment. I have been on that list for 5 years now.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2009, 04:27:23 PM »

Sunny, that is what another surgeon told me last year.  Luckily, this year the meeting was with the surgeon who is the head of IVIg and plasmapheresis department.  He says the program doesn't have the best results, but he is now hoping I will change his statistics!  The other two centers I have been with, would only do it with a living donor. The surgeon wants to try this first; if it makes a difference then he will work up the people who went through the origiinal evaluations three years ago and see if we still get a 100% pra.  It is all a long process, isn't it?  This all happened by chance.  My co-ordinator didn't let me know they had even started the program.  Not sure what her job is except to "co-ordinate" my appointments.   :rofl;    I know it doesn't work for everyone.  We shall see. I think I would try anything.   

Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2009, 04:43:20 PM »

Paris I think it is great. Anything to try and increase your chances at a transplant is worth a go. Once you start dialysis you will have a different perspective of getting a transplant.

I think I would try anything.

I know I would try anything. My PRA is fine it's my HLA genetic markers that are the problem and I can't do anything about those.   :banghead;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
vandie

« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2009, 07:11:42 PM »

Sunny, that is what another surgeon told me last year.  Luckily, this year the meeting was with the surgeon who is the head of IVIg and plasmapheresis department.  He says the program doesn't have the best results, but he is now hoping I will change his statistics!  The other two centers I have been with, would only do it with a living donor. The surgeon wants to try this first; if it makes a difference then he will work up the people who went through the origiinal evaluations three years ago and see if we still get a 100% pra.  It is all a long process, isn't it?  This all happened by chance.  My co-ordinator didn't let me know they had even started the program.  Not sure what her job is except to "co-ordinate" my appointments.   :rofl;    I know it doesn't work for everyone.  We shall see. I think I would try anything.

It is definitely worth the try and I am thrilled that you have that chance. 
I think you have to be your own coordinator and let that other gal be your secretary.
Much love. . . .

Life is the journey, not the destination.

« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2009, 06:31:13 AM »

Paris, I am excited that something is happening towards your transplant....  remember you are not in this alone

Your transplant bud in Canada ;)

Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2009, 12:50:29 PM »

Paris...maybe you will get lucky with Rituxan like I did.  They gave me pre meds of benedryl IV and simple tylenol and I never had any side effects.  It is so worth it to get your "shot". ya know?

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
Jill D.

« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2009, 06:14:18 PM »

Elizabeth, this is great news that some action is happening in your quest for a transplant! It pays off to be well informed and proactive. Love and hugs to you!!!   :cuddle;

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
slk76

« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2009, 10:18:04 PM »

Paris,
I hope this works for you. I have the same issue with my highest PRA at 96%. They now do IVIG at Stanford but have told me I need to be nearer the top of the transplant list for them to consider giving me the treatment. I have been on that list for 5 years now.
Go to CEDARS!!! The woman, Dolly Tyan who helped create the high dose IVIG protocol with Dr Jordan at Cedars is now at Stanford.  My mom and I are friends of hers, due to our trying to get the word out about IVIG, and she has told us that Stanford really isn't interested in using the protocol at this point they feel it is too cost ineffective and time consuming.  At Cedars you should be able to get the correct treatment.  I'm from N. Ca and had my transplant at Cedars 3 years ago after being denied at UCSF, Stanford and California Pacific due to my high antibodies.  Even though it sounds like you do not have possible living donors you should get listed at Cedars and start your path there too!  You can be listed at more than one hospital in more than one region as far as I know :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »