I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:16:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Life NOT on the list
| | |-+  Blog "Life Not on the List"
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blog "Life Not on the List"  (Read 16134 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« on: October 24, 2017, 08:02:32 PM »

I am thinking I will start a blog called: "Life Not on the List".     It would be my thoughts, ideas, questions and life about and around my life on dialysis.

Maybe a new Facebook page.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 06:54:19 AM »

I like blogs, Facebook makes it so hard to find older content and is not indexed via the search engines.  If you want to still have Facebook from your blog you an use one of many WordPress plugins to post your blog posts to Facebook.  Even Jetpack that is created by Automatic the main maintainers of WordPress and operators of Wordpress.com (free blogs) provides the Facebook posting functionality.

For example I subscribed to the IHateDialysis facebook group for a few days but quickly removed it form my feed because there is no organization.  I'm sure the same questions get answered time and time again without people reading the old content like they might here.  Its impossible to link to previous posts on facebook using the mobile app, and often impossible to even find older content...

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 08:16:27 AM »

That's a great idea, kitkatz.  I know I'd read it.  Do you think you'll really do it?  I hope so!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 10:15:23 AM »

Sounds good!

:cuddle;

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 07:16:30 PM »

My blog will be called Lifenotonthelist.com.  Give me a few days to get it all set up and then I will post a link so you all can see my musings.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Michelle2016

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 12:05:06 AM »

Recently I read one article about artificial kidney. They will start clinical trials at the beginning of 2018. I’m very excited about it.

I never imagined we can have the cellphone we  are having today. It’s magic. 

I think ithe new ArtificialKidney will change many people’s life. Especially people  can swim with it. It can keep eGFR up to 20-25. It’s amazing.

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 06:51:29 PM »

http://lifenotonthelist.com is up waiting for KitKatz to do her thing.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 11:37:42 PM »

I am reading wordpress info as fast as I can so I can start this blog.

Help me out with topics or ideas to write about or discuss.

I plan to spend at least one day a week putting new content into the blog.

lifenotonthelist.com

iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 06:14:48 AM »

I am reading wordpress info as fast as I can so I can start this blog.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have questions. I've ran various WordPress sites since b2/cafelog was forked to Wordpress in 2003.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 06:59:14 AM »

Topics I would like to hear about:

Knowing dialysis is really the only option.
Dealing with good and bad dialysis days.
Learning how to deal with the renal diet.
Creative comebacks for people who ask why you can't get a transplant.

You rock, Kitkat!!  I can't wait to read your blog.

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 08:14:17 AM »

I'm a professional WordPress designer, so I know a lot about working with WordPress.  Ask me anything.  I don't know which theme you have chosen, but not all themes are created equal.  Some are poorly coded. Some are ugly.  Some  are beautiful but poorly coded.  And much of the difference between a pro and not-pro managed site is the difference in SEO (search engine optimization) which influences how well your site will be found by search engines.  That may not be important to you, but if it is, it behooves you to learn the best ways to publish your content.  There are "tricks" to the trade.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 09:00:30 AM »

I did my first blog today. www.lifenotonthelist.com

lifenotonthelist.com

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 09:21:14 AM »

Fantastic!  I've just subscribed to your feed, I think!  I've never subscribed to a feed before, so let's see how it goes.  Is there a way to create a password so that we can log in and leave comments?  I think I'm missing something here

Edited to add:  It has just occurred to me that you might not welcome comments but would rather keep your blog as a vehicle for venting!  Whatever the case, I really look forward to reading it as I know it will help a lot of people.  Well done!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 09:34:01 AM by MooseMom » Logged

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
SooMK

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 11:20:49 AM »

Very professional looking. I look forward to reading it.

SooMK
Diagnosed with Uromodulin Kidney Disease (ADTKD/UMOD) 2009
Transplant from my wonderful friend, April 2014
Volunteering with Rare Kidney Disease Foundation 2022. rarekidney.org
Focused on treatment and cure for ADTKD/UMOD and MUC1 mutations.
Xplantdad

Health is not valued till sickness comes. T.Fuller

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 11:26:20 AM »

Very nice KitKatz!  :thumbup;

My name is Bruce and I am the caregiver for my daughter Holly who is 31 years old and received her kidney transplant on December 22, 2016 :)
Holly's Facebook Kidney  page: https://www.facebook.com/Hollys.transplantpage/

Holly had a heart transplant at the age of 5 1/2 months in 1990. Heart is still doing GREAT!  :thumbup;
Holly was on hemodialysis for 2.5 years-We did NXStage home hemo from January 2016 to December 22, 2016
Holly's best Christmas ever occurred on December 22, 2016 when a compassionate family in their time of grief gave Holly the ultimate gift...a kidney!
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 12:48:38 PM »

MooseMom I love conversation and would welcome comments on the blog.

lifenotonthelist.com

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 01:07:59 PM »

How do I create a user name and password?  When I click onto log in, there doesn't seem to be an option to create them.  Could you help me? 

kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 04:59:19 PM »

How do I create a user name and password?  When I click onto log in, there doesn't seem to be an option to create them.  Could you help me? 

It's easy.  At the bottom of each full blog post (not the blog excerpt page) there is a comment section.  You just make up a username (whatever... something you will remember) and password (something that no one is
likely to guess.  And then write your comment.  That should do it.

If you do a search of "password generator" you will find lots of sites with tools to help you generate a good, strong password.  Here's one: https://www.random.org/passwords/?num=5&len=8&format=html&rnd=new

Good luck!

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2017, 07:03:27 PM »

It's easy.  At the bottom of each full blog post (not the blog excerpt page) there is a comment section.  You just make up a username (whatever... something you will remember) and password (something that no one is
likely to guess.  And then write your comment.  That should do it.

To do that click on the title of a post to go to the full post page rather than the home page of the blog. Ie http://lifenotonthelist.com/?p=27 and you will see the comments area, there you just need to enter your name and email to comment, no password needed.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 10:08:00 PM »

Thanks, Iolaire and k&s.  Just so that I don't look like a complete idiot, I assure you that the comment section WAS NOT THERE when I first looked at the blog.  I've commented on blogs before!  But to be fair, it's entirely possible that I looked at the blog just seconds before the comment section was included.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 03:52:31 PM »

You might have caught me in the middle of posting something,too, MooseMom.  I am trying to post things.  I have a lot of stuff I have already written I want to post, but do not want to overdose the blog. 

lifenotonthelist.com

iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 08:34:04 PM »

Kitkatz do you know you can publish your posts with a future date/time so they are released when that time arrives?  So if you want you could set up the posts in advance.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2017, 10:51:57 PM »

That sounds cool. I will have to figure that out.  Meantime I scrawl my wanderings into word and cut and paste into the blog.

lifenotonthelist.com

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2017, 10:43:35 PM »

We'll need to figure out how to do a conga line here on the site for your 3000 treatment in January.  :bandance; :bandance; :bandance;

In the meantime, have yourself a Merry Little Christmas! :santahat; :snowman; :christmastree; :rudolph;

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2017, 08:53:38 AM »

What a great idea, PrimeTimer!

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »