I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:50:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  PD after PD revision comments please
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PD after PD revision comments please  (Read 3471 times)
SKS

I'm the caregiver, SO since 2005 on D 2016

« on: October 22, 2017, 08:43:53 AM »

Again it's the weekend I'm asking for help from those who've been there.  If you've seen my posts before you know we've been struggling at our house to get to PD on cycler with minimal to no alarms.  Actually the better description is with better drainage.  Fast transporter, many tweaks, etc,  Currently on Friday Russ had a revision - the surgeon said that the omentum (sp) was wrapped around the catheter and he loosened it but couldn't tack it due to adhesions that were attaching it to the bowel in areas.  I've had laparoscopy before so expected him to have discomfort that I used to describe as it felt like my stomach was falling out.  They gave an RX for pain meds but he's sticking to his usual Tylenol.  The big problem is after not doing dialysis the night before and after as directed by the surgeon we resumed last night.   Only yellow bags, reduced dwell to 1500 but on the drain I did not expect blood in the drainage.  Naive ??  The first drain was quite clear red and each successive has been a little lighter.  Since I have manual drain bags I used a new one on each drain so I could evaluate.   He says there is a fairly severe pinch and the cycler said there was a UF of -900.   I forgot to ask about using heparin and did.  He seems bloated also.   I  called the PD nurse on call and she suggested using a green low dose to try to pull some fluid.  BP is OK.  The PD nurse said as long as each drain is lighter is redness, BP ok and to leave out the heparin for the manual green -  Interested in your experiences.  Will post later.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 09:25:54 AM »

Sorry, no comparable experience to relay. I did have a PD catheter revision, but did not do PD right away (did HD with a chest catheter) so have no experience with blood in the fluid.  It does seem within the bounds of normalcy.  I was, however, quite bloated and uncomfortable after the procedure.  This too shall probably pass.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
SKS

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 09:41:28 AM »

Thanks - do you remember at all how long the bloating lasted?  As I mentions I have had two or three laparoscopy procedures and seems to me about a week - his main complaint is that the drain felt like his genitals were being sucked in -  the surgeon did tell me that the drain by necessity must be positioned low in the pelvic region but I thought I'd read here or somewhere on a forum that someone said theirs was higher near the sternum - maybe that was just the catheter site not the end position
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 02:01:57 PM »

My catheter is in the low position.  My  bloating lasted about a week.

When I first began PD, if the fluid filled me too fast it hurt.  Then if also felt really weird on draining at times when it felt like my nether parts endured more suction than they  wanted.  Doesn't happen anymore.  I hope thngs get better for your husband soon.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
SKS

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 04:48:16 PM »

Again thx K & S
SKS

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 09:57:54 AM »

Well revision on Fri - Sat night started cycler - easy in with slightly low drain by morning was 900 less drain but was yellow fluid so ?  Called PD nurse had us do green low (1200) and drain in 1 hour - only drained 700.   last night decided to do manual and green again used 1200 to do 2nd 1200 since we figured fluid retained was about 1200.  Only drained about 450 so just stopped until we could get to someone this morning.  Heparin flush started OK then became more difficult on successive time both enter and drain.  SO in hemo chair to try to remove some of the fluid - was 116 last week this morning 123.2  - Waiting for call from Dr. who did surgery who is out of town until the 30th - We are both beyond upset as we were to leave for FL next Monday and were looking forward to PD in FL as that hemo center last year was a disaster and we don't want to even think about coping with it again except for the PD nurse who seems quite efficient.

PLEASE any encouragement, experience, or thoughts on getting back to the PD - couldn't tack the omentum as there were adhesions some to the bowel.  removed it from the catheter.  seems to have drawn back in?????   severe pelvic pull on drain attempts.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 12:41:42 PM »

I'm so sorry SKS I can't give you any advice or info. But I'm thinking of you and yr hubby.
Is the blood in the drain any less?

Lots of love, luck and strength, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Cupcake

a good year for Chevys

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 05:23:52 PM »

No advice to give but your husbands problems helped make up my mind to tolerate my drain problems. I use the cycler but it will only drain if I'm on my stomach/right side. If it doesn't drain I use a manual drain bag in the morning and do the hokey pokey while seated to get it out. I whined to the nephrologist and he said the fix was worse than the problem, as it sounds for you. I occasionally get drain pain if I don't bypass the initial drain- I understand what your husband means about his genitals being sucked up!

PD for 2 years then living donor transplant October 2018.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »