I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:51:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Choosing the right PD fluid
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Choosing the right PD fluid  (Read 4796 times)
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« on: September 17, 2017, 04:34:27 PM »

I'm now confused.  I used to do PD, alternating one night on a yellow and green bag and and next night 2 green bags.  On this regime, my fluids are very well controlled.  But....when I saw my neph this week she said that with my BP running low these days that I should be using all yellow (1.5%) and that I should choose the fluid based on my BP.  Quite honestly, I'm afraid to muck with a good thing.  I like very much that my ankles aren't swollen and that my weight is steady.  I'm afraid that I might upset the applecart.

Any suggestions?

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 10:35:20 PM »

Dear KaS I hear myself agreeing with your neph. When your BP runs low you are likely to 'suddenly' flip over into way too low BP and feel realy cr.p. I forgot to check if you are on BP meds?
Also I thought the more yellows you use the gentler it is on your peritineum.

Maybe give it a go?

Good luck my darling, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 03:27:43 AM »

Thank you, Cass.  I am on a minuscule dose of metoprolal which is really for my heart, but is a BP med also--- but probably not at the dose I'm on.  My view of BP is cockeyed because all my life I have run high BP (170/60) amd now i run from 96/49 to 140/60 with most of my readings in the high teens and 120's.

What I have started to do is to make a rotation that includes more yellow:  3-day cycle:
Day 1: yellow/yellow
Day 2: yellow/green
Day 3: green/green

This is only accounting for the 2 6-liter bags on the cycler.  I also need a supplementary 3 liter bag and that is always yellow.  And my single manual treatment is also yellow.

Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
sahern

Frozen in Alaska

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 02:10:34 PM »

I normally use two greens but I will add a yellow to the mix if my BP drops to low.  I like to drink a lot of water that is the reason for the greens.  When I first started PD I mostly used yellows but when I felt better and started to drink more I had to switch to greens.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 05:24:53 PM »

That three day schedule should work fine for you.  Always keep an eye on your scale.  Continue those morning and nightly weights to be double sure.

Don't be afraid to have an extra cuppa tea any time of the day, or night.

Fluid freedom was one of the best things I liked about PD.

Grandson wanted a cup of tea the other day.  I opened the cupboard and started un-stocking all that I had stashed up there.

He had no idea there were so many.

LOL, I ain't got nothing compared to some people.  There is a tea for all occasions and for all medical needs, plus maybe a thousand more!  I've only maybe a dozen of the most common. They are ALL Good.

kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 06:46:33 PM »

I drink a lot and, at least at this point, have no issues with fluid retention (thank you, PD).  My weight is pretty constant and varies by .something kg, nothing major.  But my BP is on the low side so that would suggest using yellow much of the time.  But I don't trust that so I think I will do best with a rotation that favors yellow bags but also includes greens.

Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
sahern

Frozen in Alaska

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 11:07:08 PM »

One thing I do when my BP drops is eat pickles.  It seems to help me and I love the taste of pickles.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 12:01:37 AM »

Hi KaS I agree with Charlie about your new schedule. If you find your BP heading towards low just swap a green.
Why don't you trust 'using yellows'?

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 05:05:39 AM »

It's not that I don't trust yellows.  It's just that this rotation (alternate nights of all yellow/green and green/green) has controlled my fluids really well and I don't want to rock the boat.

My BP doesn't actually "drop."  It just runs lowish  (in the last week it has ranges from 110/49 to 136/66 with most of the readings in the 120's)

Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 08:56:54 AM »

We may have a little mis understanding, or I do.  I 'thought' BP rises with excess water weight.  Using green and taking off more water couldl dry you out into slight dehydration lowering your blood pressure.  It may be possible that you are a bit dehydrated yet not having any other symptoms other than a lowered BP.

You may have to start charting your weight throughout the day along with BP readings.  This may show a change in BP following body weight.

The pickle idea, getting a small bit of salt into you would cause a matching rise in water to balance out the salt.

Sometimes just a few pounds of water can have a serious effect when you are 'one the edge'.

12 ounces of water, about one soda can, equals a pound.  That isn't a lot of fluid.

I tend to gauge my hydration by whether I get a compression line at my ankle from my socks.  If there is just the smallest line, I am fine, just on the edge of too wet.  Perfect!!  Much less and I can get leg cramps at night. And it only takes about three pounds to make a noticeable difference.

So don't be afraid of making a one or two pound change. You can easily remove it with PD if it doesn't improve your BP's.  Check with your Nurse to make sure they approve.

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 10:54:22 AM »

12 ounces of water, about one soda can, equals a pound.  That isn't a lot of fluid.
12 ounces == 3/4 lb
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 01:30:51 PM »

12 ounces == 3/4 lb
I may be wrong, but a Physics class a very long time ago we made a can into a fire box for one of the small wooden matches, set a another can of water above.  Measuring the water temp before, during, and after the match burn.

Their is a slight difference between fluid volume and scale weight.

NORMALLY, 16 ounces of WEIGHT = one pound.

That 16 ounces of WEIGHT does not directly compare to water VOLUME.

At least so I remember.  I may have to Google this.

Please don't bring Metrics into this, that will really screw me up!
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 01:36:24 PM »

D'uh!  No wonder our math never came out right.  What can you expect from a bunch of 8th graders in the mid 60's!

12 fluid ounces = 0.78 pound
Cupcake

a good year for Chevys

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 01:20:23 PM »

'A pint a pound a world around' a pint is 16 oz. if your bp is down, watch your pulse. If it goes up when you stand up and walk around, that means you are dry. Your pulse may be attenuated a little by the blood pressure med, but will still go up if dehydrated. Like Charlie, I gauge my volume on my weight and whether or not I can see veins across my feet- when swollen the veins are hidden. I wear one of those crazy Fitbit watches that tells me my pulse all the time whether I want to know or not.

PD for 2 years then living donor transplant October 2018.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »