I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 03:36:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Days without Dialysis
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Days without Dialysis  (Read 6794 times)
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« on: April 19, 2007, 05:27:32 PM »

I have run into some trouble.  I am taking my French class to St. Martin tomorrow, so I asked to have dialysis today, Thursday. Because we can't get a flight back on Sunday (as we usually do) we have to come back on Monday night, so I will be missing my dialysis on Monday and will have to have it on Tuesday.  I had asked the supervisor if I could do that, and she said it would be okay.  However, she is on holiday and when i told the nurse who is in charge about it, she said she was told nothing.
Furthermore, she thinks that this will be too many days withough dialysis, and I should have spoken with the nephro.  He is not here right now, so today the internist who fills in for him was called in to talk to me.
I suppose they want to make sure that if anything happens to me, they are in the clear.
I was warned about what could happen from missing so much dialysis.
Have any of you on hemo spent this amount of time without dialysis?  What happened?
I will be very strict with myself for those days.
Any advice?

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 08:08:27 PM »

I have gone one less day than that (Friday to Tuesday) and I was really careful with fluids and was ok for the most part.  Did feel heavy and started to feel like it was hard to breathe.  It is not something to get in the habit of though, and each person is different.  Another reason I like the idea of going on home dialysis with nxstage.  Good luck and report back and let us know how you are!

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
brenda

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »

So that's five days with no dialysis? Holy crap! Be very careful and let us know how it goes. And have fun on your trip.

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
George Jung

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 08:37:57 PM »

Can you not set up a session for Saturday or Monday where you will be traveling?  What are your weight gains in between regular sessions?
Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 08:53:19 PM »

So that's five days with no dialysis? Holy crap! Be very careful and let us know how it goes. And have fun on your trip.
It's 4 days without dialysis - Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon.  I plan to be very careful.

Can you not set up a session for Saturday or Monday where you will be traveling?  What are your weight gains in between regular sessions?
I will be in a totally different country.  Actually, St.Martin is a part of France (in the Caribbean).  I would have had to do lots to set that up, and it is all in a rush right now.  Over weekends (Sat, Sun) I usually gain about 3 kilos.  I am going to try my best not to go much over that.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 08:56:09 PM by bajanne2000 » Logged

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 09:10:21 PM »

wow! Good luick! Will have my fingers crossed for you. I've always wanted to visit St. Maarten (ok, the Dutch side :)  ) - hope it is a lovely trip... whiching you a Bon Voyage :)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 09:26:37 PM »

I have done it. Be careful and you should be alright.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 06:15:58 PM »

Did she go?  Man, and i didnt get to tell her Bon Voyage,  Please Lord, let her be allright, give her the strength to be very strict with her fluids and her diet and bring her safely home to us ;)    Thank you,   Amen  ::)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 05:25:09 AM »

Thanks everyone.   Well, this is Sunday.   I had dialysis on Thur, so this would have been my normal timeframe for dialysis, but I won`t be having it until Tuesday.   I am doing well and I hope it stays this way.
What I do know is that I will never do this again if it is left to me!

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 05:54:16 AM »

Don't GOOOOOOOO!!!  (Just Kidding)   :cuddle;  I know you have left already.  I wouldn't do it just because I don't like feeling crappy.  Although I do dialysis every other day and feel crappy ??   ???   Watch your Potassium intake as well as fluids.  I guess I'd worry that I could learn or teach with such high toxins.

Let us know!

livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 09:59:23 AM »

The trip is already in progress but for others who might be thinking about doing this...don't!  I tried it a few times, once with my neph's blessing.  Chances are you will survive but you won't enjoy it.  There is nothing more unpleasant than being in a nice place, feeling awful, having to worry about feeling even worse, and how soon you can be dialyzed.  Even though you are watching food and fluid intake time is working against you in a case like this.
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 03:23:30 PM »

Thanks everyone.   Well, this is Sunday.   I had dialysis on Thur, so this would have been my normal timeframe for dialysis, but I won`t be having it until Tuesday.   I am doing well and I hope it stays this way.
What I do know is that I will never do this again if it is left to me!

Glad you are doing good Bajanne, 2 more days to go, hope you are having a good time too  :2thumbsup;

www.kidneyoogle.com
Chicken Little

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 07:21:56 PM »

I'm glad you are doing OK. 

I was off dialysis for 6 days when I tore my peritoneum and they had to put in a temp hemo port.  It took me 9-10 hemo treatments to get back down to my dry weight, because BP doesn't cooperate.  I hope you have a better time of it.  Have fun. 
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 08:16:58 PM »

I went from Thursday night to Tuesday night. It is not recommended but it can be done.  Probably by Tuesday you are going to feel it. Worn out and a little fluid overload coming on.  Take it easy Tuesday.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 10:39:01 PM »

Well, I came back home last night.  I am really feeling very well.  I expected some shortness of breath, etc., as my body coped with extra fluid, but I feel no way different.  I checked my weight on the bathroom scale, and I am no more than I would be after a normal weekend.  Of course, my bathroom scale and the scale at the unit are not friends and don't see eye to eye!
I will be going for dialysis today and I will be sure to let you all know how it went.
Thanks for all your caring thoughts.  You really make me feel that you are family!  :grouphug;

Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 11:22:09 PM »

So glad to hear you arrived home safely and feeling well. You must of taken good care of yourself. Well done!  :2thumbsup;

Amanda
xxoo

« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 05:22:53 AM by Amanda From OZ » Logged
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 12:12:06 AM »

Welcome back. Good to hear you are doing ok.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Duane

I'm glad to be here.

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 05:09:46 AM »

:2thumbsup; :clap; :grouphug;

and you thought you couldn't handle it. :yahoo;

1 Corinthians 9:24  In a race, everyone runs but only one person gets first prize. So run your race to win.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 05:13:12 AM »

Good Luck Bajanne, I hope your run goes smoothly.
George Jung

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 08:26:16 AM »

I had missed my Saturday treatment due to some car trouble (a run-in with the law), so that is Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, and today treatment.  I wasn't too worried but more curious as to what my gain would be.  How about 2.5 kilos!  Pat myself on the back. :)
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2007, 11:18:12 AM »

Oh Bajanne, that is great, i am so glad you are feeling well, i hope your dialysis session goes well also, let us know.  :2thumbsup;

George, you go boyeee, there is no way in hell that could ever be possible for me, lol, Good Job amigo  :clap;

www.kidneyoogle.com
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2007, 11:54:45 AM »

I had missed my Saturday treatment due to some car trouble (a run-in with the law), so that is Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, and today treatment.  I wasn't too worried but more curious as to what my gain would be.  How about 2.5 kilos!  Pat myself on the back. :)
Thats great George, 2.5 is my average gain as well. Sorry this is off topic - I now return you to the topic at hand  ;D

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2007, 05:21:27 PM »

Great job Bajanne and George!  I would have been overweight and drowning.

lifenotonthelist.com

Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2007, 05:24:57 PM »

:clap;  Bajanne and George maybe you could give me a lesson in self-control   :P  You both did sooo well. I'm with Kit, I would have been overweight and drowning as well!

Well done... give yourselves a big pat on the back.   :cuddle;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 05:30:21 PM »

Well, folks, the results are in!  I weighed in at 3.7kg more than my dry weight.  That was not bad at all, since I am usually about that, or even more, after weekends.  I felt really good about how I got through those days, but I don't plan to do it again.
My nephrologist (who was away when I had dialysis on Thursday) got his chance today to drag me over the coals.  He asked me what would have happened if I had a fluid overload on Sunday.
Anyway, thank God, I went through it and now I am over it.  My session was quite good today.  Only I was desperately hungry after as I had no real breakfast and ate nothing before dialysis.  I'm fine now.
Thanks for all your caring thoughts and concern.   :grouphug;

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »