I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:23:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Thick accent!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thick accent!  (Read 9684 times)
smartcookie

LMSW

« on: August 14, 2017, 02:20:10 PM »

So I was calling transportation companies today to let them know about some schedule changes that have been made, and I realized that I sounded very southern.  I have lived in Georgia or South Carolina my whole life, plus my family is from Tennessee.  When I travel up north, people know exactly where I am from!  I feel like I sound a little ignorant to some people sometimes, but most seem to find it endearing.  I just accept it and say "y'all" and "ain't" to my little heart's content! 

Does anyone else have a thick accent?

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 03:14:14 PM »

Almost every region in the US has a accent, the only area without a accent is the area from Cleveland to  Corning.  As long as you are talking to people in your region your accent is not going to be noticed.  Years ago I was working with a women born in the US and raised in the Dominican Republic.  One business trip to Ohio she confided to me she was embarrassed by her accent. I explained that  almost every one in the US has one, and virtually none of them as nice as hers.

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 03:48:22 PM »

There are just a few words that drive me nuts in the difference

Important   has "t's"   Eastern (Charlie Rose) say  Impordand    :stressed;

Mountain    Young people say  "Mouain"
Button         Baion
Important     Imporan

We say POP  and other people say "Soda"   Soda is in a yellow box

So  "NO" I don't think I have an accent.

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 05:05:30 PM »

I dont think I have an accent any more,  but when I meet new people, they nearly always ask me where I am from. I was born and raised in Connecticut and now live in Californy, and do not see one bit of difference.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 06:53:27 PM »

Also think regional dialect.    Since I am a damn yankee, I say "I was taught how to do dialysis", but if I was from the south I might say "They done learned me how to dialyze".
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 07:00:34 PM »

Born and Raised in the Pacific North West.  We pride ourselves as being THE most articulate speakers in the U.S.

Now transplanted here to the middle of Missouri it KILLS me to hear the locals KILL the language.

WASH does NOT have an R in it!
SKS

I'm the caregiver, SO since 2005 on D 2016

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 08:45:02 PM »

Also think regional dialect.    Since I am a damn yankee, I say "I was taught how to do dialysis", but if I was from the south I might say "They done learned me how to dialyze".

I say let's not blame that on the south but we were exposed to a whole new resentment attitude while in FL at the center.  Many comments about the "snowbirds" with barely veiled attitudes.  On the flip side my dear mother all her life said some words with a "twang" 

As far as Cleveland - I'm from south of there and now near Columbus.  I can frequently zone in on a "Cleveland accent"  I can't explain but there is a difference.  I spoke with people from all over the world by phone for years when employed and most commented on my "lack of accent"
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 11:36:49 AM »

:rofl;   :rofl;   :thumbup;

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 04:30:28 PM »

I was always taught that below the Mason-Dixon line people were taught not to curse.

Instead they were taught to......

Bless your little Heart.

But I know what they are thinking!
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 04:55:41 PM »

There is also variations of the short verb meaning "request" - Up north it's "ask".   In some parts of the country it's "axe".
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 05:00:54 AM »

... and ... here is an excellent idea how to deal with it all :
... and  ... the whole matter is wonderfully explained by Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong  :

You like potato and I like potahto
You like tomato and I like tomahto
Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto

"Let's Call The Whole Thing Off" ... :waving;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIYS9EQWkXg
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:17:06 AM by kristina » Logged

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 10:34:10 PM »

I thought the difference between a Yankee and a Damn Yankee was that a Yankee is one from up north that visits the south but goes back and a Damn Yankee is someone who visits the south and stays.

I'm always being asked if I'm from Minnesota or New Jersey. I've never been to either place. Go figure.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 12:49:30 PM »

A lot of people here in South Carolina say "axe" instead of "ask."  That one drives me nuts!  Now, I do not say "learned me to dialyze" because I was an English major and know better.  I do frequently say "yonder" or "y'all."  Sodas here are called Coke, even if it isn't a Coke.  I have always found that strange, but I do it too.  My accent is much thicker when I talk to my grandparents.  They are about as Southern as you can get!  Hearing them pronounce certain words make me giggle!

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 04:38:45 PM »

A most interesting article on ax vs ask: http://articles.latimes.com/2014/jan/19/opinion/la-oe-mcwhorter-black-speech-ax-20140119
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 06:37:57 AM »

Thank you, Simon Dog.  I do think it is interesting that the article cites "ax" as being a black term.  I hear white people use it a lot here, but then again, cultural appropriation is "in" right now.  It is interesting that Chaucer used ax.  I actually took a class on Chaucer in college and loved it!  Most people think that he was this brilliant story teller that would not stoop to low brow humor, but "The Miller's Tale" is basically a fart joke.  Ah, the things you learn in higher education!   :rofl;

SKS

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 06:02:52 PM »

There is also variations of the short verb meaning "request" - Up north it's "ask".   In some parts of the country it's "axe".

The AXE drives me NUTS  LOL .  You chop with an AX or AXE - I often wonder how those who request with an AXE spell ask -  BUT then I'm kind of old and was taught phonetics - would that we have nothing more serious to be annoyed by or is it with which to be annoyed :)
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 08:00:12 PM »

It is especially confusing if someone axes you for an axe.
SKS

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 06:52:26 AM »

It is especially confusing if someone axes you for an axe.

:) or ROFL - we need these little chuckles

Edited:Fixed quote tag error -kitkatz,Admin

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 04:10:17 PM by kitkatz » Logged
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2017, 01:10:41 PM »

I worked in call centres for years, and I always tried very hard to hide my bluenoser/spud island accent.  For the most part, I've succeeded, but it does come out when I'm tired.  There are a lot of "yers" instead of "yours" and "Winsdy" instead of "Wednesday."  The roads in winter are "slippy" (or in my mom's case, "greasy") and not "slippery" and we eat "bededas" and not "potatoes."  *L*

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2017, 01:37:47 PM »

Too cute, Riki!  When I am tired, my accent comes out more, too.  I think accents is part of what makes us who we are.  Most of the nephrologists here are Indian (from India, not Native American).  I love their accents!  It is fun to hear how different people sound from around the world.

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 05:29:05 PM »

LOL

I haven't a clue from the text, but I've somewhat prideful of my 'ear' in that I can usually 'place' most people after hearing a short conversation.

Gotta admit I am NOT familiar with Riki's phrasing!  But I do LIKE them!
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2017, 09:01:25 PM »

LOL

I haven't a clue from the text, but I've somewhat prideful of my 'ear' in that I can usually 'place' most people after hearing a short conversation.

Gotta admit I am NOT familiar with Riki's phrasing!  But I do LIKE them!

Charlie, I am on NetrootsRadio.com every Saturday night, including tonight, at Midnight Eastern, or sometime after, on the Round Table Round House Power Hour call in show, if you want to hear my accent, or call in and let us here yers.. *G*

I'm currently in a very international class.  There are 5 or 6 from the Bahamas, a couple from Mexico, one from Brazil, 2 or 3 from different parts of Africa, one from Chile, and a couple from Egypt.  There are a LOT of accents in there, including the small handful of us from Nova Scotia and PEI.

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2017, 05:01:59 AM »

Midnight?  I'm asleep ling before that.  Recently because Son was over, I stayed up till 10.

But I'm usually up around 4.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2017, 10:13:24 AM »

If I didn't stay up that late, I'd never get any work done. *G*  As it is, I'm behind on a couple of assignments.  I didn't realize how much WORK school would be.. *L*

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2017, 10:28:57 AM »

But I'm usually up around 4.