I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:47:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Political Debates - Thick Skin Required for Entry
| | |-+  How does the rest of 2017 unfold for the Trump administration?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How does the rest of 2017 unfold for the Trump administration?  (Read 3693 times)
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« on: July 28, 2017, 11:48:20 AM »

The Trump Administration's legislative agenda is hurting. I have my doubts that the true vote last night was 51 49, the whole event seems engineered to allow Congress to move on with as little political damage as possible being suffered by Republican members of Congress. At least now 49 of the R Senators can go home and say "If only we could have gotten to conference with the House we would have come up with the perfect solution."

But Congress has so much to actually do. How does Congress pass an increase in the debt ceiling? Let alone a budget and tax reform. Not to mention that while the administration spent the week flailing the special prosecutor Bob Muller and his A list team have, I would imagine, been working over time. Meanwhile, the tensions in east asia continue to build. The tensions in the persian gulf continue to build. As the White House spends its days talking about itself the Russians continue to work against our national interest seemingly unopposed.

How does this end well? What's a best case scenario for the next 6 months?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:14:51 PM by Bill Peckham » Logged

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 08:04:59 PM »

This administration is so crazy this week they ticked off the boy scouts(Boy Scouts issued a apology to its members over Trumps speech).  They hired a foul mouth communication director fired the chief of staff.  Lost the Obama care repeal.  Had the congress pass a Russian sanction bill 98 to  2 in  the senate and 416 to 2 in the house, then the moron in chief said he was thinking of vetoing the sanction bill  despite the fact the bill passed with far more votes needed to overturn a veto.  Finally Lamar Alexander is putting up a bill that would make it impossible for trump to fire mueller.  For someone that touts himself as a winner he sure seems to be loosing a lot.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 08:58:04 PM »

Michael - congratulations on being the first member (not counting my test) to post on the new server.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 03:42:25 PM »

I've given up guessing what will happen next.

I'm waiting for the SNL gang to start off their new season with parodies of "The Mooch" front and center.  Kate McKennon can go back to playing Sessions.

I am fascinated with the bi-partisan and veto-proof sanctions that have been passed against Russia.  This puts Trump in a corner. 

I am horrified by the prospect of N. Korea improving their nuclear weapon delivery system while they watch Trump have fun pitting one White House staffer against another.

Instead of wondering what will happen in the next 6 months, let's wonder what WON'T happen.  Since the White House Budget director has declared that the Senate should not vote on anything else until they pass a bill repealing the ACA, that pretty much puts the breaks on progress on any front.

We were in Galena, IL this weekend, staying at a hotel from which Lincoln delivered a speech advocating against the expansion of slavery into Kansas and Nebraska.  One weekend a year, "President Lincoln" once again delivers this speech and then sits down with honored guests (us, the paying attendees) to a dinner with Mary Todd Lincoln, where they talk about their lives and then chat with their guests.  I had to wonder how we got from Lincoln to Trump.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 06:52:57 PM »

I really hope that some bipartisan activity keeps things in check. The Russian vote was good even if it does crest some risk.  I think/hope Trump's lack of leadership on anything and criticism of the republicans for the heath care vote forced that party to think more seriously about what it means to govern and they think a bit more about how to help the country as a whole can continue and grow it's comfortable lifestyle.   

We have seen on the state level that states who cut taxes and government services don't see the projected growth that conservatives believe will follow. At some point I hope the republicans start to learn from those experiences from their failed state level tests. 

Basically I hope Trump continues to be as ineffective as he is today and the republican leadership seriously question whatever he promotes.   Obviously I hope all the treasonous meetings with Russian intelligence surrogates is followed up on. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 06:54:38 PM by iolaire » Logged

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 07:56:32 PM »

Since the White House Budget director has declared that the Senate should not vote on anything else until they pass a bill repealing the ACA, that pretty much puts the breaks on progress on any front.
I was not aware the White House Budget Director scheduled the Senate votes.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 09:02:29 PM »

He does not, but this is further evidence of growing antagonism between the executive and legislative branches.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 07:58:07 AM »

My husband sent me this link from Der Spiegel's English language site.  Do you all feel concern or not?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/roger-cohen-on-trump-and-the-erosion-of-american-greatness-a-1176642.html

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »