I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:18:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Leftover Bags of Dialysate.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Leftover Bags of Dialysate.  (Read 7417 times)
Treasure

Dialysis Schmalysis!

« on: June 26, 2017, 03:25:55 PM »

I decided to return to in-center. This was my third time on NxStage, but the amount of time it takes hasn't improved since my first go-round.

Now I'm stuck with 50 boxes of dialysate and a few other supplies. Any suggestions about getting rid of them? I hate to see them wasted.

You may worship me anytime you like... go ahead...bow down.  Now! Ok, I'm hungry, go get the grapes.  What? They're not chilled. You're useless! Ok...I'll forgive you...this time hehehe
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 09:06:42 PM »

We know just how you feel. About the bags and going back in-center. Hubby went back and is doing very well. As for leftover dialysate bags, because of legal/safety reasons I don't think the clinic will take them. I think Obsidian once posted about pouring it on his apple trees. If you garden I guess that might be a good idea.  Otherwise, start slashing and draining. Good luck.

:flower;

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 06:12:07 AM »

I recently went through the same situation with PD fluid and supplies.  Baxter will trash everything.  The local Vet didn't want any of it.  One of my Neph's had or know of a patient that had no insurance yet and in dire need of supplies.  All of my supplies went to good need.  Sorry, I shouldn't really say any more as it is a Federal crime to transfer, exchange, blah, blah, blah.

You just need to spread the word far and wide.  Hopefully someone will respond.

I'm with you on waste.  It is absolutely sickening when such expense supplies are wasted.
Treasure

Dialysis Schmalysis!

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 06:53:10 AM »

I told the Wellbound nurse I'll use them to fill a kiddie swimming pool. I guess there's also shooting practice. That's probably the only way I could get my huzzie to move all those boxes again. :-)

You may worship me anytime you like... go ahead...bow down.  Now! Ok, I'm hungry, go get the grapes.  What? They're not chilled. You're useless! Ok...I'll forgive you...this time hehehe
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 09:12:30 AM »

Supplies are considered "contaminated" once they are in a home (supplies can be taken back from a clinic or hospital, but not a home).

Would you want to be issued supplies that had been stored in someones home, under who knows what conditions of temperature? 

My insurance normally gives me 90 day Rx fills.  It only gives 30 days on Sensipar for this reason - they don't want to get stuck with wastage if I die with a large supply on hand.
Xplantdad

Health is not valued till sickness comes. T.Fuller

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 01:06:05 PM »

We STILL have boxes of unopened syringes from our December delivery (right before my daughters transplant). Considered waste now...thanks to the lawyers. :thumbdown;  :sir ken;

We've tried everywhere including dialysis groups on Facebook to try and donate them. No luck anywhere (animal shelters, free clinics, etc)

They are going in the trash this weekend

My name is Bruce and I am the caregiver for my daughter Holly who is 31 years old and received her kidney transplant on December 22, 2016 :)
Holly's Facebook Kidney  page: https://www.facebook.com/Hollys.transplantpage/

Holly had a heart transplant at the age of 5 1/2 months in 1990. Heart is still doing GREAT!  :thumbup;
Holly was on hemodialysis for 2.5 years-We did NXStage home hemo from January 2016 to December 22, 2016
Holly's best Christmas ever occurred on December 22, 2016 when a compassionate family in their time of grief gave Holly the ultimate gift...a kidney!
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 03:24:21 PM »

Supplies are considered "contaminated" once they are in a home (supplies can be taken back from a clinic or hospital, but not a home).

Would you want to be issued supplies that had been stored in someones home, under who knows what conditions of temperature?

Yes, I would, and have done. In the UK is the same rule. When the packaging is in tact, and the date and stuff is fine? Things that need to be refridgerated (sp?) probably not though.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 03:39:20 PM »

We STILL have boxes of unopened syringes from our December delivery (right before my daughters transplant). Considered waste now...thanks to the lawyers. :thumbdown;  :sir ken;

We've tried everywhere including dialysis groups on Facebook to try and donate them. No luck anywhere (animal shelters, free clinics, etc)

Syringes are cheap - about $25 for a box of 100 10cc w/needle.  Save them - the needles are useful for various tasks.  I have used them for splinter removal, as well as for unclogging pressure washer nozzles.
Treasure

Dialysis Schmalysis!

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 04:49:31 PM »

Ooooh. I just go an idea. I can definitely find a home for the syringes in my local BDSM community. Yay!

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 09:29:15 PM »

Ooooh. I just go an idea. I can definitely find a home for the syringes in my local BDSM community. Yay!

:rofl; :rofl; :clap; ::)

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 05:02:30 AM »

I keep a dew syringes in my fishing tackle box.  They work great to put a couple small 'bubbles' of air into a worm on the hook, making it 'float' up off the bottom so it can't hide in the mud or weeds.  The fish can more easily see it and eat it.

I have a whole gallon zip lock bag of spares in the barn for when the needles get too dulled, I'll toss a couple of fresh ones in the box.

Too bad the Feds might take a dim view of it or I could make up an ad and list them for sale on fishing sites/boards. Fishermen would gladly pay for anything that they think might help them catch more fish!

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 08:23:48 AM »

The trend over the past few years is for states to de-regulate syringes.    They can more often than not be bought over the counter (though you generally have to ask 4 them at the pharmacy counter).     The govt finally figured out that selling clean syringes did not create addicts, but did reduce the rate of HIV and Hepatitis C transmission,
Xplantdad

Health is not valued till sickness comes. T.Fuller

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 12:33:18 PM »

Syringes are cheap - about $25 for a box of 100 10cc w/needle.  Save them - the needles are useful for various tasks.  I have used them for splinter removal, as well as for unclogging pressure washer nozzles.

I have a few from an opened box that we will hang onto.  The problem is the other 10 unopened boxes...LOL :P

My name is Bruce and I am the caregiver for my daughter Holly who is 31 years old and received her kidney transplant on December 22, 2016 :)
Holly's Facebook Kidney  page: https://www.facebook.com/Hollys.transplantpage/

Holly had a heart transplant at the age of 5 1/2 months in 1990. Heart is still doing GREAT!  :thumbup;
Holly was on hemodialysis for 2.5 years-We did NXStage home hemo from January 2016 to December 22, 2016
Holly's best Christmas ever occurred on December 22, 2016 when a compassionate family in their time of grief gave Holly the ultimate gift...a kidney!
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 07:04:31 AM »

I worked at CVS as a pharmacy tech for awhile.  We often got people who just bough syringes and could sell them with no prescription.  Most looked like druggies, though...

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 07:39:31 AM »

I worked at CVS as a pharmacy tech for awhile.  We often got people who just bough syringes and could sell them with no prescription. 
This varies by state.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »