I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:47:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  When You've Got A Good Thing Going, Shad Up!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When You've Got A Good Thing Going, Shad Up!  (Read 7440 times)
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« on: June 17, 2017, 03:16:57 PM »

Hubbies labs have been looking pretty darn good lately. Even his neph is smiling. We are sticking to a renal diet. So far the recipes I've found are pretty tasty so I don't have to prepare separate meals, we both eat the same things. Thought I'd surprise him with some rice crispy treats. Yum! As I was handing him one, I started talking about how I hoped they weren't going to affect his labs too much and if they do, they can blame me for it. I'm the one who tempted him. As he was about to take a bite, I continued on about the sodium content, etc, etc and...he told me to shut up. Just like that, "shut up!". Now before you start thinking he's rude or mean, let me set you straight. The poor guy rarely gets to eat "treats". He sticks to "the plan", which many of you know is hard for someone with kidney disease and on dialysis. It sucks. He wanted to enjoy this treat that I had just given him and there I was, yapping on and on about sodium, potassium, you know, the usual. He asked that I not ruin the moment. I got it. I understand. So if your loved one wants to enjoy a treat every once in awhile, let them do so in peace. Be willing to do that and YOU will have peace. When you've got a good thing going, know when to shut up while you're ahead! Meanwhile, I really need to start looking up renal-friendly snacks and desserts.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 04:07:04 PM »

I found these

http://www.rsnhope.org/programs/kidneytimes-library/article-index/smart-snacking-choices-for-the-dialysis-patient/

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 08:58:46 PM »

I found these

http://www.rsnhope.org/programs/kidneytimes-library/article-index/smart-snacking-choices-for-the-dialysis-patient/

Love, Cas

Sweets from the sweet! Thank you so very very much, Cas!! I know we are going to love these, can't wait to show hubby the list. Especially the Favorite Heavenly Hash dessert. Ooh boy... :P

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 04:36:57 AM »

Dad owned the Refrigeration Company.  I grew up with a Sweden Soft-Serve Ice Cream machine in the garage.  EVERY Friday Dad would stop by the Creamery and pick up one of those huge steel jugs of ice cream mix, (Cream and Sugar).  We would make various flavors, freeze it and have big bowls of ice cream EVERY night.

Most of my adult life I have continued this tradition of eating ice cream.

Until I started PD.  And became Diabetic.

I rarely buy icecream now.  I seldom buy any but when I do I am usually buying sorbet and have developed a 'taste'.  It ain't half bad.

Last week Kroger, the local chain grocery, had their store brand (not bad) on sale, 3 for $10.  I bit.  I've been half bad this week, having abowl almost every day rotating through the three flavors I bought.

In my defense, I have skipped dinner a couple of times.  Since it has been hot outside and I have 'melted' a bit of water off I have been more thirsty than hungry.

Or at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Blood Sugar this morning is 102. I had a bowl of Moose Tracks at 10 p.m.

For those that don't know. Moose Tracks is decent vanilla with mini Reece's Peanut butter cups mixed in then heavy layer of dense chocolate swirled in.  What's not to like?
Shaks24

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 05:00:33 AM »

If you like Chocolate, try Krogers Private Selection Denali Extreme Moose Tracks. OMG!!!

Congestive heart failure 2011
Currently about 19% Kidney Function
September 11, 2013 PD Catheter and Fistula Surgery
September 27, 2013 Started PD
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 08:23:12 PM »

Charlie and Shaks:  I will not tell my husband about Moose Tracks. But darn that sounds good... :'(

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 03:15:58 AM »

I send him a link to this thread!
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 09:00:15 PM »

I found these

Love, Cas

We had the Heavenly Hash today (the fruit salad, not the kind you smoke  ::) ).  It was wonderful! And again I'm talking about the fruit salad. lol It makes a very large bowlful. I am thinking of getting some small plastic containers with lids to pre-fill so that we can just "grab and go". That way we won't have to measure 1/2 cup portions each time. I am getting nervous about that large bowl sitting in the fridge right now. One of us might not be able to control ourselves...won't be me tho. Thanks again for including the link to these recipes!

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 06:18:23 AM »

Inly a HALF CUP?   How do you manage to control yourself so well?

It's been over a year since I have made a fruit salad.  While on PDP I could eat anything, now on Hemo not so much. I had used a large pitcher and filled it with the various fruits available. I had cut most everything into small bite sizes, even splitting the grapes so to let some of the juice out and blend with the rest.

Once near done there wasn't near enough 'juice' so I grabbed my Pyrex 2 cup measuring cup, added a cup of Clear Karo Syrup then another cup of water to thin/liquify it better.  It was just the right amount to finish filling the pitcher, stirred a little bit then let soak and chill over night.

I killed it all that week.  I didn't have any limits while on PD and I pushed it.

Now I'd swell up like a balloon!
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 10:33:06 AM »

Inly a HALF CUP?   How do you manage to control yourself so well?

It's been over a year since I have made a fruit salad.  While on PDP I could eat anything, now on Hemo not so much. I had used a large pitcher and filled it with the various fruits available. I had cut most everything into small bite sizes, even splitting the grapes so to let some of the juice out and blend with the rest.

Once near done there wasn't near enough 'juice' so I grabbed my Pyrex 2 cup measuring cup, added a cup of Clear Karo Syrup then another cup of water to thin/liquify it better.  It was just the right amount to finish filling the pitcher, stirred a little bit then let soak and chill over night.

I killed it all that week.  I didn't have any limits while on PD and I pushed it.

Now I'd swell up like a balloon!

Yes, only 1/2 cup. When we first started learning about limits we thought it was hardly worth it and it was depressing but we have since learned to look at it in another light. Not only does how little or how much you eat matter but WHAT you eat. There are a LOT of tasty things hubby can have if it's made with allowable foods. Can't say enough how much this has changed our attitude let alone we are both in better moods. When we had the Heavenly Hash fruit salad, we were practically overjoyed with it's taste. Hubby even says it's a good substitute, maybe better (his words) than ice cream. Now imagine that!

cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 03:06:29 PM »

That's so nice to read PT, brought a smile to my face.

Enjoy the fruit salad honeys

:cheer:

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 05:14:49 AM »

The last couple of weeks I have been a little bit 'Bad'.  I've been allowing myself a bowl of ice cream once in a while.  My excuses are;

It was on sale.

It's hot, I've been outside most of the day and sweated off a lot of fluid.

I skipped dinner so I can have a few calories.

My morning sugars have still been very good.

Dad owning the Refrigeration business and having a soft-serve ice cream machine at home spoiled me, for life.  Up until I was on dialysis then diagnosed diabetic I've have ice cream a LOT of evenings.

I've recently found a new to me flavor, Colombian Coffee, and LIKE it!

I wanted to beat the Grandson yesterday.  While I was out in the barn, later afternoon, Grandma, who can never tell him "NO" let him into my carton of Moose Tracks.  I't all gone.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 03:57:02 PM »

:beer1; Frosties!

It's hot. It's humid. It is summer. Hubby works a lot outdoors and sweats. Brings in barely over 1 kilo (3x week hemo dialysis). Saw glass beer mugs at the store and got an idea: frosted mugs! Got him some diet Ginger Ale, frosted a  mug, put 3 ice cubes in it and surprised him with a drink. He hasn't had anything out of a mug in years. Well, except for a small bit of coffee in the mornings. Other than that, no beer (he misses Sam Adams). I was surprised to find 7.5 ounce cans of the diet Ginger Ale. Hadn't seen that before. Of course, it's not like I've been looking for any soda. Got him a six-pack.

Going back to the store to get more mugs. Decided we should keep a few frosted ones on-hand. Also made him some more Heavenly Hash only this time I added a few Vanilla Wafers. I've lost a little weight so enjoyed a little with him. Funny how little treats make us feel good. Real good! Hhm...his mother has to start dialysis soon. She's 88 and thinks she can do PD while she sleeps. She doesn't yet understand that it is not just done while one sleeps. She doesn't yet understand the amount of boxes and supplies she will have to make room for in that fancy house of hers. She doesn't want a fistula. She once saw a picture of a fistula and said the guy must have had a "bad case of it". Bad case of what?? Anyways, we've decided that we will be available to answer her questions but since she never has listened to us before, we will not be giving her any "unsolicited advice". She and her hubby will soon be learning the ropes themselves. Funny how they ranted on and on over us doing home hemo (when we were still doing that). She said her son ought to be going to a center to let the professionals do it, where it would be safer and cleaner. And now that it is herself in need of dialysis, oh god no, she's not going to a center. Nope. Thinks she's going to do PD at home while she sleeps and that is all she has to do. What can we say? Now back to those frosted mugs...

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 05:07:10 PM »

She said her son ought to be going to a center to let the professionals do it, where it would be safer and cleaner.
And where the get less effective dialysis than home hemo patients thanks to the 3x/wk schedule designed for cost control, not optimization of patient health.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 06:18:49 PM »

She said her son ought to be going to a center to let the professionals do it, where it would be safer and cleaner.
And where the get less effective dialysis than home hemo patients thanks to the 3x/wk schedule designed for cost control, not optimization of patient health.

This is the same woman who said her blood sugar levels were under control and that she didn't need insulin and had nooo swelling. She's diabetic and has edema (swelling). I am wondering how she is going to handle wearing a mask to make her PD connections. She's a vain woman who loves wearing one-inch thick makeup and lipstick. As for her own "cleanliness" at home, well, this is the same woman who thought hubby could use something new to wear. She sent him home from vacation with some her own husband's shirts. He did not know that she put them in his suitcase. When he got home and unpacked, we discovered (smelled) 3 shirts. They were wadded up. And they were dirty. Reeked of BO. Could not even be washed. We threw them out. We do not picture this woman doing PD or hemo at home. When hubby first started dialysis, she said "Do it, son! It will be good for you! It cleans your blood!". Oh REALLY??? She's not saying that now.

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 05:07:08 AM »

It's been said many times over.

God moves in mysterious ways.

Your Mother-in-Law in in for a severe dose of realization.  While we would never wish dialysis to occur to even our worst enemy it is not our decision who's kidney fail.

Mother-in-Law will soon enough know the mistakes she has made and be Repentant.  Be supportive as you well understand what she will be going through.  She will need all the Love and support you will be able to give her.

It will be soo hard not to say "I told you so!"
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 07:11:23 AM »

Dear PrimeTimer,
... I just - by chance - discovered this thread and, after reading through, I quite agree with Charlie's thoughts when he writes : "It will be soo hard not to say "I told you so!"
... Life sometimes throws around some strange and peculiar developments ...
I send you my best wishes, lots of patience and good luck from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 02:23:32 PM »

Karma is a bit**!  :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 10:12:32 PM »

Hubby is really enjoying his frosties. We joke about him leaving empty beer cans (Diet Ginger Ale) laying about the place that I have to pick up.  :beer1; But they do provide for a nice chill at the end of a hot sweaty day. He's barely bringing in any fluid. Hardly a kilo, except after weekends then he's closer to 3. He sweats and sweats but then has a 7 ounce "beer" aka Diet Ginger Ale in frosted mug with dinner. Good for him! He deserves it! Meanwhile, the phonecalls have started up again....he had better call his mother. She's suppose to start dialysis and won't. So he called her. Nope, she's good. Still holding at 17 gfr, might of went  up to 20 and then back down well, it's holding she said. She has no real idea of what she is talking about but dang, she is "holdling her gfr" at 17. Sure, the neph told her it was time to start and since she didn't get a fistula, she needs a chest cath. She says no. She says the neph is cold and mean and wants a second opinion because she doesn't want dialysis, not even PD and will "hold just fine at 17" by watching her diet. Hubby told her why bother to get a second opinion then if you don't want to do dialysis. Then don't do it. Pssst...in other words, he knows she is going to "crash land" and probably any day now. No point in arguing with her, he's told her everything she needs to know and she doesn't think she needs dialysis and can just hold out by watching her diet. What diet? She eats everything that she's not suppose to. Yup, she's going to crash land.

Frosted more mugs and put them in the freezer for hubby. Need to keep him supplied with the Ginger Ale and ice cubes.  :beer1;

smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2017, 08:23:03 AM »

I do feel sorry for your mother-in-law, but you are doing the right thing.  It's sad that she won't listen to you, though.  She sounds in denial about what is happening.  On the other hand, I am so glad to hear your hubby is doing well!  Sounds like you both have a good handle on his diet and fluid intake.

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2017, 01:24:01 PM »

Call me selfish but I fear that my MIL will crash land just when we are trying to get moved and hubby will get a call begging him to get on a plane and go to her in the hospital. We have been planning this move for a long time. We've also been trying to "educate" her for a long time. She didn't listen to what her dear son has been going through living with his own kidney disease and dialysis and she isn't listening for her OWN good now. But so help me, if she crash lands while we are trying to move, I am going to be really really upset. Whew! Just had to get that out...thanks.

Hubby was adopted so his mother's kidney failure is not related to his. But nonetheless this goes to show how this damned disease affects families.

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 03:12:58 AM »

I am sure that MIL heard Hubby.  Only that people in denial with preconceived ideas fail to listen and cannot understand anything that does not agree with their misguided understanding.

Unfortunate, but she WILL crash.  I just hope that her current renal condition remains stabile enough for a time that the crash doesn't happen for some time yet.

If she does change her diet and reduce the load, it may reduce the speed of failure and give her a bit more time before the crash.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2017, 09:57:54 AM »

Once the move process starts people need to understand that you and your husband will be tied up for a period of time.  However pre planning of the move may leave a small amount of slack time to help mil.  My mother refused to follow a diabetic diet.  Periodically I would drive to her house and toss out candy by the bucket.  It never worked.  K
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »