I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:45:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  1 LOW spkt/v
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1 LOW spkt/v  (Read 3608 times)
SKS

I'm the caregiver, SO since 2005 on D 2016

« on: June 11, 2017, 04:57:14 AM »

I am visiting son out of state  arrived yesterday by plan.  I called home several times to ck on my husband  he had 2 low for him BP  111/45  type readings then back to normal  this morning when I went to DaVita site to chk latest blood work I see a SPKT/V  number of .22  he is always in a 1.2 range.  Now I'm in panic  ?number wrong ? one time error reading ?  Should I jump back on plane home?  I KNOW to call squad if as well as neighbor is EMS and other newborn is nice and will keep an eye but question is has anyone had this kind of situation as an abortion  it's 5 am here a NY quick thoughts while I take a deep breath
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 09:04:08 AM »

What were the pre and post BUN numbers?   Do those make sense?

>had this kind of situation as an abortion
Vocabulary alert  ::)
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 12:44:55 PM »

Standardized Kt/V, also std Kt/V, is a way of measuring dialysis adequacy. It was developed by Frank Gotch and is used in the United States to measure dialysis.  Basically it's his clearance rate for his session.  Either it's a error or for some reason his session was shortened.  In any case no reason to panic, if you are worried call the clinic Monday morning and find out what happened.  I have had sessions shortened for a couple of reasons so call and find out.  Don't fly home until you speak to the clinic or your husband,
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 09:06:51 PM »

URR (Urea reduction ratio, calculated from Pre-Post BUN) can be roughtly translated to Kt/V.   DaVita posts a nice calculator at https://www.davita.com/tools/ktvcalculator/.
SKS

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 06:34:05 AM »

Thx for the input and so far I've stayed put   I had  logically decided it had to be an aberration  but still worrisome.  BP's were more normal last 24 hours and when I talked to DaVita this morning she said the urr from Fri looked better than the Wednesday They are going to be VERY thorough today and call me.  I went I to some  additional details with her I didn't type in here.  I wish DaVita would give access to more of the labs Thank Heaven we are at the Ohio DaVita that is SO good  not the one in FL. 

SKS

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 06:41:03 AM »

. How do I get the previous and post BUN numbers   DaVita certainly doesn't post the info in the labs unless I ask for a KARDEX I don't see them  thx again
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 07:32:38 AM »

I'r surprised DaVita doesn't post Pre/Post BUN.  Is it because you get some sort of simplified patient view?  I always see these numbers along with URR in my Fresenius labs (but curiously, not Kt/V).
SKS

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 08:45:24 AM »

DaVita is (IMO) extremely cheap with sharing information.  EX:  They weren't getting info the wanted from an outsourced procedure. I contacted and had it faxed to them.  They wanted a special release signed by Russ to give him a copy.   I said with a smile "Gee,  if I hadn't contacted them you wouldn't have it - guess next time I'll ask them to send it to me"  I was told well just have them put your name on the fax as well as ours.     If I ask for Kardex I do get more info but then it's creating a mountain of paper.  The online info is VERY basic.  I do understand HIPPA but when not only am I on paperwork to get his info and I sit beside him for 95% of all procedure AND he repeatedly tells them to check with me.  Oh well just so happy to have nearly converted to PD and a new learning curve.  BTW the next set of numbers were "normal".  Also on Monday I contacted the FA nurse and she checked the deeper numbers and put my mind at rest. We still have no idea why he had the episode on Sat. and there have been a couple other times but overall "situation normal etc"
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 03:11:39 PM »

Don't panic over one lab result, call and have it redone the next session.  Recently on a Saturday I was contacted by the Charge
Nurse and told my potassium was 6.6.  Since I have had a recent heart attack. They were very concerned on Monday the test was redone and sent to the hospital lab so the results were in before the end of my session.  Much to every ones relief it came back at 4.5 which is normal for me.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 09:37:19 PM »

Ever since hubby has stuck strictly with a renal diet his labs have been looking very good. They keep retesting him just to be sure (it's not too good to be true). We are glad they do that but it is kind of nerve wrecking. BTW Mr. Murphy, your 4.5 Potassium seems kind of good. You must be doing (eating) something right! Hope the good news continues for you. Party it up! :beer1;

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
SKS

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 08:17:27 AM »

I have a nutrition back ground so to Russ's dismay I over analyse.  His Albumin is usually 3.7 - 3.9.  His other readings are nearly always mid range to preferred end of range.  The only time phosphorus was above 6 was when we had some chocolate at Christmas and when he daughter fixed a meal with a lot of canned mushroom soup then we ate as left overs AND she bought him a box of Chocolates.  We should have known better.  I read all labels use minimal cans except for soup which he has only 1 day a week.  Potatoes and tomatoes 2 favorites I limit to 2 times a week between the two of them.  I don't use prepped anything normally.  So far so good.  On dialysis for 1 year originally hemo -MUCH trouble with Fistula - last night was 1st night at home with APD. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »