I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:42:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Really hot during hemo
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Really hot during hemo  (Read 5640 times)
AaishaDar

« on: July 03, 2017, 12:02:49 PM »

Just finished hemo. Got really hit all if a sudden anyone else feel the same super sweaty.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 12:16:14 PM »

I do have that sometimes too. If my bp is okay and I feel 'normal' later on, I blame the pressures in the atmosphere.

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 12:33:27 PM »

You can always ask the tech to turn down the dialysate temperature.
AaishaDar

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 10:52:08 AM »

On Monday they took out 3 kilos. I think I get hot when too much water is being taken out. As I mentioned in my previous posts, I dont experience cramping so Im not sure when too much water is being taken out. I felt extra tired after dialysis and today I woke up a bit nauseous. Ill try drinking a bit more today.
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 11:38:06 AM »

Hi Aaisha what is a normal amount they'll take of you?

Love, Cas

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

AaishaDar

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 12:39:28 PM »

I believe 2 kilos is the normal amount. But you know on the weekends I gain more fluid than normal because I dont get dialysis over the weekend.
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 01:14:16 PM »

Dear Aaisha I would really try harder to reduce your fluid intake. I know it's difficult, but it will be better for you. (I don't know if it has influence on feeling hot after D though, but you'll feel better for sure)

Love, luck and strength, Cas

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

GA_DAWG

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 09:52:28 PM »

My experience is that sudden sweat is a warning to stop pulling fluid and possibly have some returned. As others have mentioned, if you are accustomed to having 2 kilos taken off and they go for 3, it can be a jolt to your system. Learning to control fluid intake is the one thing you can do to help yourself the most.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 10:31:59 PM »

The human body is a very complex organizum often with very complex action/reactions to outside stimulus as well as hormonal changes that can also cause great swings in thermal responses.

Females going through menopausal changes are well versed in 'hot flashes' however this type of body reaction has also been found to occur in men and still as yet unexplained why this happens.

I, am a  'Guy', yet I have at times found myself busting out in a sweat simply sitting still watching the evening news.  If that doesn't make you wonder WTF? because there seems not to be any reason at all for the event.

Strangeness happens.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 08:22:46 AM »

yet I have at times found myself busting out in a sweat simply sitting still watching the evening news.
Trump has that effect on a lot of people.
GA_DAWG

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 08:31:28 PM »

Amen, Simon.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 05:04:19 AM »

The Head Nurse and I have had long discussions on the effects of large 'take offs' on the circulating blood system.  Because of this she has nicknamed me 'Doctor'.  I'm not, but I do have a bit of an education, far more than many know.

Anyway, Think of the circulating fluid in the terms of viscosoty, the fluids 'thinness' as it contains a very large amount of water.  Now the heart pumps this fluid just fine. OK Dandy.

Now if you was to have this fluid on a stove in a pot and brought it up to a boil, say like making pudding, or gravy, and you BOILED out a quanity of water, like three liters, that pudding, gravy, or blood, will thicken, becoming less able to pour as easily as before.

The Heart has to work much harder to pump this thickened fluid that it did while it was thinner.  The heart gets tired.

The blood STAYS thicker, for many many hours afterwards, until it reabsorbs excess fluid that had leaked out of the circulating system into the flesh, or you ate, drank fluids AND enough salt, that fluids are absorbed through the digestive system.

So large take offs can mamke a person feel as if they have just ran a marathon, and the heart KEEPS on running that marathon, until the blood gets 'thinned' back to normal.

Symptoms of dehydration can included stomach cramps and vomiting.

Drinking large amounts of water is NOT a good treatment.

SMALL sips of something containing essential minerals such as pedeolyte, Gatorade, or even chicken broth are far better options than plain water.

It sounds a lot like you may have been a bit dehydratd from the large take off.  Keeping very tight control of your fluid intake will make the biggest improvement.  It aint' easy, but the idea of this very thing happening to me keeps me from drinking much.  Most of the time I now have a 'dry' mouth. I purposely wait until the dryness progresses far into my throat before I give in and allow myself a mouthful of a drink, usually water but on occasion tea, or even milk.

I've found keeping a few Mint Lifesavers in my shirt pocket also helps.  Not too many calories and low in the minerals we don't need either.  Or so one of my Neph's told me.

Blake nighsonger

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 06:43:22 AM »

That makes perfect sense. humming in the field. thanks

AaishaDar

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 08:45:03 AM »

Excellent explanation. Well said. Last yreatment you can see in my post I had bad stomach cramping. It was awful. I knew i was dehydrated but i jyst drank water and that didnt help. I love gatorade so i will drink that if i feel dehydrated again.
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 08:59:20 AM »

Gatorade is dangerous for dialysis patients as it has a lot of potassium and phosphorus.  Please be careful drinking this!

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 11:26:13 AM »

There is another Gatorade product I've been told about that is supposed to be better, but I have no experience.

I use chicken broth, the wet gravy sorta stuff.

I stay very hard on my fluid intake.  Todays treatment my incoming weight was only point one over my dry weight.  I may have been a bit too hard on myself.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 07:25:56 PM »

My unit is overly air conditioned, especially in summer (no, it's not just the dialysate temp, the nurses tend to wear sweaters too), so I don't tend to sweat that much.  I have found that if I have a sudden feeling of heat and sweating, it's a warning sign that my bp is dropping, so if I start feeling warm, I tend to notify the nurses.

When it comes to keeping your bp in check, there is more than fluid intake you need to worry about, especially if you are female.  If you still get your "monthly visitor," it can cause your bp to drop as well.  I found that one out the hard way a few weeks ago, when my bp dropped and I couldn't stand without being dizzy.  I spent the night in the ER.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
GA_DAWG

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2017, 12:18:00 PM »

Really good point about viscosity Charlie. The Right Start adviser I had told me a doctor had told her dialysis is like a marathon on the body but the brain does not sense it because you are sitting still. Our unit is also especially cold, and worse during the winter. During shift changes, the door is constantly opened and the techs and nurses have on their PPE. Naturally, they are hot and crank the AC down. After shift change though, the doors are closed and as soon as they take off the PPE, they have to put on sleeves. They never get around to resetting the AC though, so the patients freeze.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2017, 05:25:43 PM »

Really good point about viscosity Charlie. The Right Start adviser I had told me a doctor had told her dialysis is like a marathon on the body but the brain does not sense it because you are sitting still. Our unit is also especially cold, and worse during the winter. During shift changes, the door is constantly opened and the techs and nurses have on their PPE. Naturally, they are hot and crank the AC down. After shift change though, the doors are closed and as soon as they take off the PPE, they have to put on sleeves. They never get around to resetting the AC though, so the patients freeze.

My unit is cold year round too.  It's in our local hospital, and the whole building is cold in the summer.  I learned that a few years ago when I was in for gallbladder surgery.  I found that the only warm spot was a hallway between 2 sections of the hospital that is like a tunnel of windows.  When the sun was out, it was warm in there.  Anyway, the heat is controlled by a tech at a computer somewhere else in the building, and we're not able to change the temperature at all.  It's always so cold.  I tell the nurses that I think they get dialysis mixed up with the morgue.  These days, after my treatment, I can't wait to get outside to warm up, and I do 3rd shift, so it's 10pm usually before I leave.

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 08:26:33 PM »

I bring skier's hand warming packs with me to help combat the cold.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2017, 10:09:33 PM »

During the winter I switch from a blanket to a comforter.  I have a extra large duffel bag I use during the winter just for the comforter and my pillow. 
GA_DAWG

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 10:00:03 AM »

Our unit tends to be colder during the summer. I think from heat entering the treatment area during shift change, so they turn the temperature down and never move it back up. It is really cold on cloudy days during the summer when there is no sunlight to heat the building.
GA_DAWG

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 11:59:03 AM »

Asked what the thermostat was on yesterday as it was even colder than usual. 66 degrees.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 06:09:27 PM »

I bring skier's hand warming packs with me to help combat the cold.

I wear a hoodie with the arms cut off, have fingerless gloves that go up to the elbow (I have an upper arm fistula), I being a fleece throw blanket to cover myself up, and I usually wear fleece pj pants and slippers.. even with all that, sometimes I still shiver

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
GA_DAWG

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2017, 12:23:06 PM »

Had not thought of the hoodie with the sleeves cut off. Might have to give that a try.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »