I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:33:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Blood test to get on transplant list
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blood test to get on transplant list  (Read 3565 times)
Whamo
Elite Member

« on: June 02, 2017, 11:55:21 AM »

Do they screen for marijuana?  Does anyone know how to safely mask it?
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 10:41:13 AM »

I'm afraid I wouldn't blow for a week to be sure.

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 01:06:33 PM »

If they are really testing for drugs they will test your hair and hair holds traces all the way till it grew.  I used to be a contractor at a government installation and the only test they would except is a monitored hair sample.  And to be valid there was a list of things to avoid to avoid a false positive. What I understand if your home state has a medical marijuana bill it's no biggy but it may be a problem where no such law exists.
nursey66

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 07:45:07 PM »

I believe it can be detected up to 30 days after using . When that question was asked at my husbands interview to get listed , I asked them why that was an issue and they said marijuana has certain weed in it that can harbor a mold and can cause a life threatening mold lung infections to people on the anti rejection drugs . My husband never used it , but I was curious so I asked. Makes sense to me after that was explained .
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 11:34:59 PM »

The limit on the blood test being 30 days is why the Feds require a monitored hair test since it can go back months.  If your hair grows a inch a month and your hair is 3 inchs long they can detect drugs going back 3 months.  If they were really serious they would use a different method.
nursey66

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 07:19:18 AM »

I am aware of the hair test , like you, don't know why they don't use it , since a mold lung infection is probably fatal for a transplant patient. I wasn't aware of that test back when he was being interviewed. Perhaps they think if someone can go 1 month without using they'll stop completely when they know the risks . My husband did get a fungal lung infection from feeding birds, he was told not to, but chose to do it anyway , he got aspergillosis and nearly died. He was in the hospital for 4 weeks, had to be taken off his anti rejection drugs to help his immune system fight the infection, and lost his transplant.  So fungal mold infectious are very life threatening and I don't know why anyone would want to mess with the tests when the results can be devastating. By the way , my husband had fed birds for 11 years with his transplant and not a problem. So he thought he was immune to the warnings, until it hit him. It's a scary lesson.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 02:44:38 PM »

The blood test is overly broad, since it would also flag people who ate MJ brownies and other non-inhaled forms of the heathen devil weed.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 08:13:15 PM »

Hell you can fail a drug test by eating a bagel with poppy seeds.  Pepto bismal shows up as Cochin.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 08:23:21 AM »

Do they screen for marijuana?
You have a right for a copy of all lab results, as well as a list of all tests done on your blood.   Ask.
LorinnPKD

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 10:22:32 AM »

I just looked at my blood draw results from University of Colorado and there were no drug tests.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »