I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:35:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Working while on Dialysis
| | |-+  Decided to become a kidney nurse
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Decided to become a kidney nurse  (Read 5797 times)
Cochranme

« on: May 25, 2017, 05:40:45 PM »

I just moved back home at 42 on disability. Been on PDfor almost 2 years. Instead of sitting around and being depressed and Iwaiting for the transplant, i've decided to go back to school. I already have a terminal degree in music, now I need  to get an associates degree at the local community college. I've already spoken with my nurse and my former nurse, and they both think that this is an amazing idea. Do you have someone who wants to educate PD patients who is actually been through the process. Also, as a former music teacher, I have a huge abundance of experience in working one on one with people of all ages and abilities. I am incredibly excited and I have more energy than I've had in years. I'm a little scared Biology component, but I'm excited to learn and I finally understand fully what's going on with my body.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 07:24:55 PM »

Great plan!  and Welcome to the IHD Family.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 09:08:47 PM »

I am a retired Systems Programmer and for years when I was giving job interviews my first choice would always be a musician for some reason they seemed to make the best programmers.  The ability to work with music in its written form and convert it into the real sound seems to improve conceptional thinking.  I think you will do very well in any new profession you choose to enter.  I hope the change you are contemplating leads to a rewarding future for you.   Good Luck but I think you are going to make your own luck. 
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 05:09:03 AM »

Sounds like a good plan.  I'd recommend on shooting to stay out of the HD clinic.  The shifts they work in the clinics are harsh 5 am - 8 pm...  Hopefully you can leverage your teaching experience and get in a nice cushy 9-5 teaching the at home patients.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 06:52:50 AM »

Great idea!  I have toyed with the idea of going into medicine for a while, but when the patients throw up, I feel like I could throw up and that is just not a good thing for me.  As it is now, I can leave the floor when the puking starts!   ;D

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 07:02:25 AM »

I agree that home training RN is the best job in the clinic for anyone without an MD degree, but I doubt you will get it without paying your dues as an in-center RN.    I've noticed that the home care RNs are the "best of the bunch" selected from in-center staff.  I had yet to meet a "home care PD RN" - the ones I have met cover home hemo and PD, and that means teaching canulation, which requires lots of experience puncturing a wide variety of arms.
Cochranme

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 07:14:28 AM »

I agree that home training RN is the best job in the clinic for anyone without an MD degree, but I doubt you will get it without paying your dues as an in-center RN.    I've noticed that the home care RNs are the "best of the bunch" selected from in-center staff.  I had yet to meet a "home care PD RN" - the ones I have met cover home hemo and PD, and that means teaching canulation, which requires lots of experience puncturing a wide variety of arms.

I'm sure that you're correct. After two years of PD, pay my dues will seem like nothing LOL
Cochranme

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 07:53:28 AM »

I also think it depends on the situation. I've spoken to my current head nurse and my previous head nurse. One of them has a bachelors degree and took several years to get to her position, the other one has an associates degree and was hired to the position immediately out of college. So it is possible, but I certainly want to make sure I have the correct experience
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 02:40:14 PM »

There is a trend in nursing for the "top tier" places to require a BSN at minimum, even though an associates is sufficient to take the RN exam.
Michelle2016

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 03:38:53 PM »

The job market for nurses is very good now. Urgent care and out patient centers are booming everywhere now if you notice. In the place I am working, everyone few months, new faces of nurses will pop up for the whole floor. They constantly come and leave. There are so many options now fir upgrading such as nurse practitioners,  patient discharge nurses,  doctors office,.....

As long as a Registed Nurse either with AS or BS degree, you can get a job.

Best wishes.

Blake nighsonger

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 08:54:13 PM »

Good for you. Sounds like you would be an excellent catch for some home hemo nursing program, so glad to read about positive exuberance effecting any type of this stuff (D).   

Excited too about you working at something that motivates you. Great !!! Thanks                       
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 09:12:48 PM »

As long as a Registed Nurse either with AS or BS degree, you can get a job.
I know the standard at all the "big name" Boston Hospitals is "BSN minimum".
Cochranme

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 11:55:48 PM »

I did some preliminary exploring today at the local community college.  For now, I have about 5 prerequisites to finish (3 of which I will try this summer, 1 of which I actually have taught at the collegiate level for over 15 years, but STILL have to take it lol)

I have decided on the advice of many of my nurse friends that a BSN is much more useful for what I want.  I found an accelerated bachelor's program that I wish to apply to.   The only issue I have encountered has nothing to do with me...since I went on disability my well-meaning and loving caretakers and support team love to give unwanted and often inaccurate advice.  This is the most happy and excited I've been in 5 years.  However, exactly half of my family and half of my medical team keep saying I'm having a "manic episode" and need to be hospitalized.(social worker)  The other half says that this is a "wonderful idea". (doctor, nurses, nutritionist)  Getting pretty darn tired of being told how I feel, and what I can and "can't" accomplish.  When they ask questions like "well what happens if this takes longer than you think?"  My answer is "then it takes longer than I think".  "What if it makes you sicker?"  -  "then I'll be sicker"    "You're just in denial, you're going to hurt yourself"  "Thank you for your concern, I appreciate it."   Sorry for the mini rant.  Does anyone else have to deal with this garbage?
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 07:15:08 AM »

Nursing school is hard (saw my wife through her AS/BSN/MS/DNP, plus she is a professor now).

Community colleges are generally not selective, so be prepared to have dumkoffs in your classes.  Look at the first time NCLEX pass rate for the programs you are considering.
Blake nighsonger

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 07:18:47 PM »

My doctor wants me to work, said studys show we live longer he is all about me working. i have a passion for barge work . its clean calming isolating type work , i like it. " you don' t want to jeopardize what you have now" family say . it might be hard getting" awake" meaning ....keeping right attitude when my rbc are low but like you said when all that comes together and you feel Good and you know whats what .... little mania can't hurt and is an asset. i still have to pass physical ... think i can no problem , safety first.   Security.... not such a thing. 
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2017, 07:43:32 AM »

Grandson's Maternal Grandmother spent a couple of years at one of the cooks on a tug running the Mississippi.   A schedule of so many days on then so many days off.  Getting off the boat in different places along the river, then catching it again somewhere else.  Usually took a bus back and forth as leaving a car may not be back in that section of the river for a while.

She loved the travel most of the time.  The men were surprisingly polite to her.

Making dialysis appts could be a nightmare, not sure where each clinic is, making it to the appt and back to the boat as it is driving by on the river.  This would be a huge problem for me.
Blake nighsonger

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2017, 09:52:51 PM »

"Ticket to Work" program.  Can a person not jeopardise there health care plan?  I need  to educate my self on that.. looking at" fill in" after the regulars (two operators / pilots) go home Or needs break.... 2 - 4 hrs." working a boat " maybe a couple of times a week for instants. Nothing to strenuous. its a rock query, loading stones and gravel , just local ..... harbor work." dinner bucket job " very small tug 25'  .  went on www.SSA.gov have alto to learn. ..... or going to school to be a tech. Getting good experience with that now. i wounder how that would parlay.......    any experiences. ------------------------- Kidney Nursing is out.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2017, 06:32:29 AM »

I can easily be wrong, but...........  I thought 'Ticket to Work' is a tax incentive program for employers giving an incentive to employ ticketed persons.

SS Medical benefits should not be affected until your number of working hours, and wages, exceed whatever set 'limits' are established.  This number may be different depending on the type of benefit category an individual is receiving.

All of this information should be posted on the SS website.

SS may have some added benefits available to the individual such as, funds for transportation, education, lunch money, some of the things necessary to make the individual more employable.

Many States have an outreach person within the Employment Office knowledgeable in the Ticket to Work program and can assist a person.  It is worth a phone call or a visit to ask more questions..

I was 'Ticketed' but due to other pysical limitations I have not pursued it  much.  The educational opportunities out here in the middle of nowhere'sville are simply too far away to be of much use. There simply isn't enough time for travel that would be necessary.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 02:22:06 PM »

I can easily be wrong, but...........  I thought 'Ticket to Work' is a tax incentive program for employers giving an incentive to employ ticketed persons.
https://www.ssa.gov/work/overview.html
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »