I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2017, 07:46:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
512408 Posts in 31972 Topics by 11473 Members
Latest Member: celticdutchess78
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers (Moderator: Darthvadar)
| | |-+  Anxiety help
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anxiety help  (Read 104 times)
JVT90

« on: May 18, 2017, 02:43:42 PM »

My husband is having an awful time with anxiety. The last couple of months, as soon as he gets to the clinic and sits in the chair he feels like he's having a panic attack. His blood pressure shoots up, and they tell him his blood pressure is too high........... makes him feel that much more nervous. Was wondering if anyone else had experienced this? Any tips on what to do to help it? He's starting to feel majorly stressed just thinking about going for dialysis.

Husband started in clinic dialysis 2015
kickingandscreaming
Premium Member
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 03:33:06 PM »

Sounds awful and I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.  I know panic attacks can be horrible.  In this case, I would suggest getting a prescription for something like Xanax and to pre-medicate.  There are also breathing exercises, e.g. http://www.anxietycoach.com/breathingexercise.html   http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/treatment/breathing-exercises

I hope your husband can get some relief.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
cassandra
Global Moderator/Premium Member
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 03:58:06 PM »

Hi JVT90 I second KaS about the prescription drugs. I'm on Diazepam, helps with anxiety, restless leg syndrome
And sleep when you are supposed to sleep.

Love, luck and strength, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
       still on waitinglist, still ok I think
JVT90

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 05:16:43 PM »

Thank you Cassandra and Kickingandscreaming for responding. He's resistant to wanting medication, will talk to him again about it. He does have the tingling legs quite often, perhaps  that it could help with that too will convince him. Thanks!!

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 05:33:41 PM »

The inappropriate use of drugs is bad that being said the same drug used to stop a panic attack that is affecting a life saving procedure is not only appropriate but necessary.  Panic attacks are a reaction to a real situation they require medical treatment.  This is a matter for your doctor to deal with medically not to be dealt with by keeping a stiff upper lip.  That being said to go along with the medicine try doing something he enjoys at the start of each session for me I buy a box of Strawberries, cut and clean them and have a heavenly breakfast of plain strawberries.  So I  enjoy the start of dialysis since I associate the beginning with a fresh fruit breakfast.  The ends do justify the means,  plus be supportive dialysis sucks by it self I can't imagine combining it with a panic attack.  Good Luck but go to his doctor with him, too often Dialysis Patients minimize the problems of this damn disease and suffer needlessly through things like panic attacks out of some misplaced macho BS.  This is a medical problem and needs support from you and a doctor.  I will keep a good thought as he deals with this but don't let him minimize this, the attacks are real.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 07:18:03 AM by cassandra » Logged
Charlie B53
Global Moderator
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 05:24:23 AM »

As needle-phobic as I am I must be an idiot switching from PD to Hemo.  I could get a new PD cath and go back on PD but I rather like my current Hemo arrangement early mornings three times a week.   I managed to live through the idiot attempting to get an IV started for me access surgery only because the other Nurse told him to get out and she poked me perfectly.  I think I love that woman.

But there will come a day when they decide they want to poke those needles into my fistula, and I expect I will have one of those anxiety attacks, high blood pressure, sweating everywhere.  They keep telling me to breath.  It ain't easy.

I have already asked my Dr for Zanex,  Dr sent me to the Shrink.  The Shrink Lady and I had a nice long chat, then she told my Dr to write the script.  So far I haven't seen it get filled.  I got time yet.  When it gets close I will be on the phone. Most likely I will be in the Dr's office asking what's going on.

Get the med and try it.
JVT90

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 07:52:06 AM »

Thank you Charlie B53 and Michael Murphy, I appreciate your responding to my questions. He's blind, has had a stroke that affected his right side.....but still too "macho" to think he needs any prescription help. I'm still working on him.  :secret;

MooseMom
Premium Member
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 08:15:09 AM »

ESRD is a real physical condition that requires treatment, ie, dialysis.  Any one who can endure dialysis is "macho" in my book.

Anxiety before dialysis is a real physical condition that requires treatment.  There is no need to suffer when treatment in the form of medication is available.  I don't understand why people think that a treating a physical ailment is OK while treating a psychological ailment is not.  Both types of ailments are injurious to one's physical health.

I am so sorry that your husband is going through this, but please try to convince him that anxiety is serious, and he deserves relief.  He has nothing to prove.

Please let us know if he changes his mind.  Do you think he might be willing to join IHD so that he could post to us directly?  He'd be most welcome!

"Empathy is the soul of democracy."  Jeremy Rifkin
kickingandscreaming
Premium Member
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 11:29:16 AM »

A lot of people need to make some "extra" accommodation to make dialysis bearable.  I do PD, and was having trouble with the volume of fluid that was pumped into me over night.  I would wake up unable and breathe and gasping for air.   By accident I discovered that by using a nebulizer with Albuterol (usually for asthma) before my nightly treatment began that I could avert the breathing problems.  If it were anxiety and not breathing issues, I would premedicate with something relevant.  And I don't like taking any drugs.  But I also don't want to suffer every night.

Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Shaks24

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 12:12:03 PM »

I have been on PD for almost 4 years now and doing quite well. Last November I started suffering from general anxiety. Not sure why but it became overwhelming. I thought maybe when winter breaks and I get a bit more active it will subside. It did not so I discussed it with my nephrologist and he put me on a low dose of Ativan. It has made a world of difference and now my BP readings are the best they have been in 4 years. even while I am on max dose of 4 other BP meds. Tell him to discuss it with his doctor. I felt embarrassed to bring it up but I had to as the anxiety was really bad. Now that I think of it, maybe the election was the cause. LOL

Congestive heart failure 2011
Currently about 19% Kidney Function
September 11, 2013 PD Catheter and Fistula Surgery
September 27, 2013 Started PD
JVT90

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 03:45:38 PM »

Moosemom, Shaks24 and Kickingandscreaming, I appreciate all your responses and suggestions. :)

Moosemom, I told him that he'd be welcome here and he smiled  ;D........with his complete loss of vision we haven't found a way to get him online that he's comfortable with on his own. I read to him what people have posted and responses.

kickingandscreaming
Premium Member
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 05:24:33 PM »

;D........with his complete loss of vision we haven't found a way to get him online that he's comfortable with on his own. I read to him what people have posted and responses.

Most computers have accesibility features for sight and hearing impaired folks.  Last year before I had my cataract surgeries I couldn't see worth a damn.  My computer (a Mac) read every page to me using a screen reader.  Worth checking out. 

Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »