I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:07:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  In Center hemodialysis Patient Watch Your treatment time
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: In Center hemodialysis Patient Watch Your treatment time  (Read 7398 times)
needlephobic

« on: May 04, 2017, 05:45:35 PM »

I have to watch my treatment time at my unit the staff will change it to suit there own needs. As in they don`t want  to stay there any longer than they need to. They might get froggy and  hand you the against medical reasoning paper cause you was about 30 min late due to traffic and on the paper it said that I requested to be taken off 45 min off my prescription time in which they took that on there own in which I refused to sign. The other day the nurse came by and thought I was a sleep stood between me and my neighbor and said  him and her get off close together but I fixed it. She screwed my neighbor`s time she got off early hey why not she is blind she won't know. About a week ago  the tech was across from me and within a min she took 15 min off f her. So people keep a eye on your time it might save your life. :rant;
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 05:54:15 PM »

I guess I've been really lucky.   Even when circumstances made me arrive late (I was on the last shift), the staff attitude was always "we will get you your full time".
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 06:29:38 PM »

Hi needlephobic isn't there someone who's in charge at your centre you can talk too?

Love, luck and strength, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 06:37:41 PM »

Contact  CMS and report the SOB's.  CMS could pull their operating licenses.  They will go through their paper work and check to see if they asked.  Besides not good for the long term health it's also a kiss of if you are on the transplant list.  In New Jersey they look to see if patients are asking for AMA removals.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 02:37:09 AM »

Hello needlephobic,
Could you not have a confidential word with the staff nurse and ask for her help about this?
Good luck and best wishes from Kristina. :grouphug;
P.S. Have you remained to feel like a needlephobic or have things become better?

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 10:43:11 AM »

Just write "I requested my entire treatment time but was denied and staff member ........... demanded I sign this form" on the AMA form.
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 01:29:30 PM »

Just write "I requested my entire treatment time but was denied and staff member ........... demanded I sign this form" on the AMA form.

Awesome idea if they try and make you fill out the form!!  You have a right to your full prescription time and if they do not give it to you it is against doctor's orders.  The nurses can lose their licenses for that.  I would remind them of that, too.  That is unacceptable.  Now if you are like two hours late, that is a little bit different story.  I have had patients with a 1 pm chair time not come until 3 pm.  Well, we have already dumped the bicarb and their dialyzer.  We can't run them, but we can offer to reschedule them so they get their full time.  Make them work with you!

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 02:29:25 PM »

Awesome idea if they try and make you fill out the form!!
Once you write that on the form, inform the staff member that is now part of your medical record and the form must be retained with that record.   Check at a later date, and file a complaint if the form "disappeared". 
needlephobic

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 10:48:05 PM »

I guess I've been really lucky.   Even when circumstances made me arrive late (I was on the last shift), the staff attitude was always "we will get you your full time".

Yeah your lucky

Hi needlephobic isn't there someone who's in charge at your centre you can talk too?

Love, luck and strength, Cas
No Cassandra they're all friends does no good when they're Friends

Contact  CMS and report the SOB's.  CMS could pull their operating licenses.  They will go through their paper work and check to see if they asked.  Besides not good for the long term health it's also a kiss of if you are on the transplant list.  In New Jersey they look to see if patients are asking for AMA removals.
Would like to do that Michael Murphy but I don't have proof my word against theirs

Hello needlephobic,
Could you not have a confidential word with the staff nurse and ask for her help about this?
Good luck and best wishes from Kristina. :grouphug;
P.S. Have you remained to feel like a needlephobic or have things become better?

As I said before they're all friends And yes still working on my phobia was getting stuck unroll she filtraded every other treatment

quote author=Simon Dog link=topic=33907.msg514603#msg514603 date=1494019765]
Awesome idea if they try and make you fill out the form!!
Once you write that on the form, inform the staff member that is now part of your medical record and the form must be retained with that record.   Check at a later date, and file a complaint if the form "disappeared". 
[/quote]

Well Friday treatment was feeling sick and was having breathing problem nuts ask how long has it been hoping I said since Thursday this is what happens when you cut my time 45 mins was told by the nurse they have to cut my time when I come in late 10 to 15min late I said no you don`t tech popped up and said yeah we do so person behind me won't be put on late. I said you can put him old he74in one of the vacant chairs BTW  they won't be filled after 11 told me can't do that just fustraded we'd and Fri I lost a hour and they wonder why labs are bad
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 02:49:00 AM by cassandra » Logged
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 11:03:30 PM »

I said you can put him old he74in one of the vacant chairs BTW  they won't be filled after 11 told me can't do that just
They might have been telling the truth.  Staffing policies regulate the ratio of techs/RNs to patients, and putting one more concurrent customer online could cause the ratio to be exceeded. I've also been to clinics where many chairs were vacant by law, since the state had "need based licensing" and the clinic only proved a "need" for some of their chairs.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 03:01:32 AM »

I have been known to write comments on the AMA forms and draw little pictures on them.  The techs find it amusing and always let me put whatever I want onto the paper.
One day I drew a wrestling ring because I was late due to watching a WWE match I had watched at home.  Yes, they do think I am a little crazy, but a nice crazy.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 09:14:23 AM »

Report it all CMShas to do is examine the paper work and interview the patients to find out the real story.  The agency will either find evidence or they won't, either way the practice will stop out of fear that CMS will remove operating permission.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 03:58:15 PM »

I have been known to write comments on the AMA forms and draw little pictures on them.  The techs find it amusing and always let me put whatever I want onto the paper.
One day I drew a wrestling ring because I was late due to watching a WWE match I had watched at home.  Yes, they do think I am a little crazy, but a nice crazy.
Do not sign an AMA form if you are leaving because you are late.   You  are not leaving against medical advice, but because of scheduling.  At minimum, note that on the form.
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 06:38:18 AM »

Ask for a copy of the AMA form for your own records.  Then you will have proof to show the doctor, CMS, DHEC, whatever.  If they say you can't have a copy, ask how to get a copy of your chart including AMA forms.  Sometimes you have to sign a release form.  CMS can take you at your word, as well.  If you voice a complaint, they have to investigate.  Especially if it is a one or two star clinic. 

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
AshtonsMuse

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 08:37:13 AM »

This happens frequently at my husband's clinic.  It got him so sick, he ended up in the hospital the week before Christmas.  All because the new head nurse decided she wanted to go home early.  It was a staff member that brought it to our attention and we made it clear that his treatment times were not to be cut short with the administration and his doctor.  She was cutting his treatment by an hour per day.  It's a battle.  He mostly gets the full time now, but he's had very few good days.  I'm quite sure they're not interested in his well-being.  Not much we can do about that.  I just long for a day where he's not throwing up, or passing out. 
needlephobic

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 06:32:27 PM »

After talking to my Neph he told me they can`t change my treatment time without his permission. So he is sending in his assistant Dr to go undercover to check to see if they are messing with his.patient`s time woo hoo you go Doc :yahoo;  tired of feeling sick all the time because of them  :puke; good news when the new center opens He is moving   me there :bandance;
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 07:15:46 AM »

Woohoo!!  Glad you stood up for yourself and are getting some help!  That is awesome!

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 07:24:02 AM »

Slightly off topic, but related.

My regular FMC clinic targets a Kt/V of 1.4 for in-center hemo patients, even though the CMS goal is 1.2.   The DaVita clinic I am visiting this week while traveling uses a goal of 1.2.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 08:14:26 AM »

In nj if you leave AMA it hurts your transplant chances.
OlManRivah

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 05:43:59 AM »

:bandance;
Ah, enter my little  hand held mirror.  I always check the machine to see what has been entered.  Have caught some mistakes.

Country boys can survive!
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 06:26:47 AM »

Slightly off topic, but related.

My regular FMC clinic targets a Kt/V of 1.4 for in-center hemo patients, even though the CMS goal is 1.2.   The DaVita clinic I am visiting this week while traveling uses a goal of 1.2.

Almost all foreign centers use 4 hour treatments as the norm and are surprised at my "short" 3:30 treatment time.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2017, 07:29:09 PM »

If they want you to sign take your cell phone and take photo of what you are signing, its backiup in case the form disappears.
Hazmat35

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2017, 10:03:37 AM »

I said you can put him old he74in one of the vacant chairs BTW  they won't be filled after 11 told me can't do that just
They might have been telling the truth.  Staffing policies regulate the ratio of techs/RNs to patients, and putting one more concurrent customer online could cause the ratio to be exceeded. I've also been to clinics where many chairs were vacant by law, since the state had "need based licensing" and the clinic only proved a "need" for some of their chairs.

my clinic wouldn't worry about the number of techs / rns to patients...they don't follow it anyway.  It is usually 1 Tech to every 5-6 patients; especially at night when they want to go home before 3rd shift starts.  Sometimes we have 1 nurse for 16 patients!!!!

Brother Passed away - 1990 - Liver Disease
Diagnosed w/ Polycystic Kidney Disease - 1998
Mother passed away - Feb. 1999 - PKD
Sister passed away - Feb. 2006 - PKD
AV Fistula / Upper Left Arm - September 2009
Father passed away - September 2009
In-Center Hemo Dialysis - April 2010
Broken Knee Cap - January 2015
Diagnosed w/ A-Fib October 2017
Surgery to repair Hiatal Hernia 2018
Multiple Fistula Grams / Angioplasty's since then!

Hating Dialysis since Day 1 and everyday since then!!!!  :)
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2017, 10:43:45 AM »

Hazmat, that is a serious safety concern!  Now if it is a lunch break, that is one thing.  But they should have at least 1 nurse to 10 patients.  You could complain to CMS about that.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »