I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:38:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Cherry Coffee Cake
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cherry Coffee Cake  (Read 4521 times)
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« on: June 02, 2018, 11:06:06 AM »

I was really surprised at how sweet and yummy this is. My husband likes it hot out of the oven with a pat of butter on it. It's also incredibly easy to make. I found it on the Davita site in their dessert recipes section. More good news: one 2-3" piece of cake contains 3g of protein, 113mg sodium, 72 mg potassium and 70mg of phosphorous. Whenever I make this I tell my husband ahead of time so he can "fit" this into his daily allowances. And his drooling begins. This is SO good that I'd feel comfortable serving it to mixed company and not telling anyone it is part of a "renal diet". But HA! It will never last long enough to be shared with anyone...

Cherry Coffee Cake

Portions: 24

Serving size: 2" x 3" piece

Ingredients
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
20 ounces cherry pie filling

Preparation
Preheat oven to 350° F. Set butter out at room temperature to soften.
Using a mixer, cream butter, eggs, sugar, sour cream and vanilla.
In separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and baking soda.
Add dry ingredients to creamed butter mixture and mix well. Pour batter into a greased 9" x 13" baking pan.
Evenly disperse cherry pie filling over batter.
Bake for 40 minutes until golden brown.

Nutrients per serving
Calories  204
Protein  3 g
Carbohydrates  30 g
Fat  8 g
Cholesterol  43 mg
Sodium  113 mg
Potassium  72 mg
Phosphorus  70 mg
Calcium  41 mg
Fiber  0.5 g

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 10:46:10 PM »

This looks like a great recipe for any one. I bake every Friday for my Hubbys Pinochle group and will most certainly try this. I dont know about you, but I buy all of my canned pie fillings at the 99 cent store. They are just as good, altho the cans are a bit smaller. Thanks for the recipe.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 08:56:33 AM »

Yum yum, I'll be definitely making this. Thanx PT

:cheer:

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 03:59:10 PM »

24 portions?

Not in my house!

Can I have a scoop of vanilla ice cream with that?
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 04:14:24 PM »

That cake may be delicious, but it has a ton of sugar in it.  Not recommended for diabetics.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 10:06:56 PM »

That cake may be delicious, but it has a ton of sugar in it.  Not recommended for diabetics.

K&S: Per Davita's Recipe section, this recipe is ok for those following a diet for CKD-non dialysis, Dialysis and Diabetes. Sorry, I should have included this information.
The Davita site also broke down the "food choice count". I am including this below. And for heaven's sake, please don't eat the whole pan in one day! (joking) Altho my husband probably would if I weren't around!

Renal & Renal Diabetic Food Choices
-This recipe counts as:
1 starch
1/2 fruit, low potassium
1 fat
1/2 high calorie

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 10:10:14 PM »

24 portions?

Not in my house!

Can I have a scoop of vanilla ice cream with that?

If it helps knowing, we had a scoop of frozen yogurt. I was impressed, wasn't bad at all. Maybe give it a try yourself. Better than nothing.

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 06:21:30 AM »

I do like the frozen yogurt.  Gas station mini-mart here has three or four machines making soft serve frozen yogurt and a bar of toppings, all kinds of neat stuff to pile on.  Stopped for gas one day with both Grandsons and decided we would try it.  We each filled a bowl and piled topping on high.  About spit when I got the bill after they were weighed out.  Slightly over $18.00  Won't be doing that again.

Few towns over is a frozen custard place.  That stuff is quite tasty also.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 07:23:30 PM »

I do like the frozen yogurt.  Gas station mini-mart here has three or four machines making soft serve frozen yogurt and a bar of toppings, all kinds of neat stuff to pile on.  Stopped for gas one day with both Grandsons and decided we would try it.  We each filled a bowl and piled topping on high.  About spit when I got the bill after they were weighed out.  Slightly over $18.00  Won't be doing that again.

Few towns over is a frozen custard place.  That stuff is quite tasty also.

Soft serve frozen yogurt was how I found out about frozen yogurt. I thought I was having regular ice cream and commented on how good it tasted. That's when a friend told me it was actually yogurt. MUCH better than regular yogurt. Something else we might try with the cherry coffeecake is a scoop of sherbert. That's on the list of renal-friendly desserts and my husband loves sherbert. Hate to say it but I stay away from anything made at the gas station mini mart. No telling how or IF they ever properly clean out their machines whereas, a busy restaurant or ice cream parlor where the food is flying out the door probably gets cleaned daily. And $18 for yogurt? Yikes! I could see spending that on some good beer but never yogurt.

:beer1;

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 02:45:54 AM »

Ever since grade school I've LOVED those little cups of orange sherbet with vanilla ice cream.  Krogers has it. Orange Scream.  I don't get it but rarely as I eat far too much each time until it's gone.

Good thing I don't have room in the freezer for that 'bucket'!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »