I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:46:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  PD: The beginning of the end
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: PD: The beginning of the end  (Read 21246 times)
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2017, 07:06:50 PM »

No.  My uric acid has always run high and I have no signs  at all of gout.  I just run a higher baseline.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2017, 07:32:35 PM »

No.  My uric acid has always run high and I have no signs  at all of gout.  I just run a higher baseline.
I have no signs of Gout (got it once  25 years ago), but my MD keeps me on Allopurinol to  keep uric acid in a normal range.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2017, 05:00:04 PM »

Dr told me, AND I loooked it up.  I thought Allopurinol was CONTRA-indicated for Renal patients?  Which is the reason they called and told me NOT to takke it.  It was already sent out in the mail. They immediately also sent me Febexo........  I forgot the name.  I'd have to go get my bag of pills and look.

Whatever, the Fex one has reduced my uric acid measurably.  I don't know it it made any difference in my calcium as Dr also increased my Sensipar at that time.

We're talking two different Dr's.  The Renal Neph and the other guy.  Qwap, I hate it when I forget words.  Not Endo. I'm stuck.  I'll remember later when thinking of something totally different.  It will just pop into my head.

Rheumatologist!

Told ya I'd remember! LOL
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2017, 05:15:37 PM »

My doc tells me Allopurinol clears more slowly in renal patients, and has me on a low dose.   My previous neph did as well.    Febuxostat is Uloric.  There was a big marketing push for this a few years ago since it is a new drug and far more profitable for the pharma industry than Allopurinol that is an old cheapie.

A big side effect of Allopurinol is Stevens-Johnson syndrome but, fortunately, it is relatively rare.

I always drop my neph an email whenever any other MD gives me an Rx just to make sure it is OK from a renal perspective.

sp mod Cas
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 02:42:50 PM by cassandra » Logged
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2017, 06:47:32 PM »

I belong to a large practice hundreds of doctors, they keep a single computer based record for me, any medication entered by any of the 6 or more doctors I see is flagged for my nephrologist to review, in the last 6 years he has modified a couple of my prescriptions from other doctors.  The cool thing is how coordinated my care is.
jcanavera

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2017, 10:00:01 AM »

Don't give the ship just yet.

Pd works by the DIFFERENCE in the sugar levels between your blood sugar and the dialysate sugar.  SHORTENING the dwell time, INCREASING exchanges, using MORE or bigger bags to equal a total more volume.

This will work as you will be spending more time with a higher sugar level, pulling more fluid and toxins, increasing your ''adequacy'.

You need to have this talk with your Neph, then the Nurse can help you make the adjustment to the Cycler program.You do NOT need to change your fill volume.

Charlie B53

Yep there are still options.  My wife is on short dwell times, 20-24 minutes, 10 hour treatment with 3, 6 liter bags & extraneal on 50% tidal therapy.  Her adequacy numbers are good.  They changed to this when she developed calciflaxis back in 2015.  With this and 6 months of sodium thiosulphate infusions three times a week, she turned the calciflaxis around.  While the sodium thiosulphate treatments ended, they kept her cycler treatment the same. 

Jack
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2017, 04:35:58 AM »

I am very glad to hear how well the short dwells worked.

Don't ask me HOW I knew it would work.  It's one of those things I just KNOW.  I can't explain it.

I must be Blessed as there are a number of times, things I've known that were later proven to be true.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2017, 07:10:35 AM »

How are you doing now, K&S? You mentioned another visit to the hospital over on one of Cassandra's threads so thought I'd ask. I hate hospitals. Especially if it requires any sort of stay. Be well, take care. Hope you are home resting with your furbaby.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2017, 08:22:39 AM »

How are you doing now, K&S? You mentioned another visit to the hospital over on one of Cassandra's threads so thought I'd ask. I hate hospitals. Especially if it requires any sort of stay. Be well, take care. Hope you are home resting with your furbaby.

I second that emotion!

I didn't realize you were in the hospital!  Are you OK?  Well, obviously not 100% OK, but, well, you know what I mean.  Are you doing better?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2017, 02:47:40 PM »

KaS? We're thinking of you. How are you?

Love, luck and strength, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2017, 04:16:36 PM »

thank you all for caring.  I've had quite a week.  I'm still in the hospital-- or in the hospital again.  This is my second admission this week.  Over the last week, I have fainted 7 times, lost consciousness and found myself crumpled to the floor.  It got so that I couldn't trust my body not to faint.  I think part of was that on my February hospitalization for flu/asthma/A fib, I was prescribed a new drug with caused my BP to plummet.  That was part of it.

I went to the ER and was admitted for observation.  In the ER parking lot I fainted for the 7th time before admission.  I was put through all kinds of tests including an overnight heart monitor, but nothing irregular showed up except the low BP.  So the dosage was lowered and I was sent home, full of fear that I couldn't walk, drive or function.  Also, from all the falls, I really whacked out my lower back which hurt excruciatingly.

Yesterday, I went to my chiropractor for an adjustment and I screamed in pain just moving around in any direction.  She sent me off to get my back Xrayed.  So I went to urgent care for an xray and they took my vitals and found that my heart beat was only 40 beats/minute.  SO I was dropping every couple beats (a potential lethal situation) and it was during these "no beat" voids that I was fainting.  So that was their answer.  I need a pacemaker.

I was ambulanced over to a different hosp. (where I am now) for surgery.  Unfortunately, there was an emergency, and they couldn't take me until Monday.  So to keep me alive they installed a wire in my neck/heart to stimulate my heart to beat when it wouldn't on its own.  With this wire, I'm totally bedridden and can get out of bed at all in fear of jostling the wire loose.  So I on a bedpan and all kinds of wonderful hospital experiences.  But the good news is that they are clean that this is the problem and solution.  Here's hoping.

A friend just brought me my laptop so this is the first time I can visit the forum. 

Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2017, 08:09:46 PM »

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??????????????

I'm both shocked that this is happening, but at the same time I'm relieved that you are safe and that they have identified the problem and have a plan.  I'm sorry you are lingering in the hospital until Monday.

Goodness, this is just really shocking.

You make them take good care of you, ok?  Otherwise they are going to have to deal with your mates here at IHD.

Keep us updated now that you have your laptop.  We are all wishing you well!  You be careful with that wire, OK? 

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2017, 08:32:46 PM »

Sorry to hear this, K&S. Will it be the kind of pacemaker they put in just under the skin near the collar bone? If so, I personally knew someone who had that and it worked like a charm for them. They were able to return to the business of living life shortly after insertion. Please take care and get well soon! And if it makes you feel any better, MooseMom called Paul Ryan a "ferret face" yesterday and I must say, I agree with her on that!

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2017, 08:38:33 PM »

And if it makes you feel any better, MooseMom called Paul Ryan a "ferret face" yesterday and I must say, I agree with her on that!

Now ya see?  Miracles do happen! 

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2017, 08:50:12 PM »

What is this 'new med' that has brought on all these terrible reactions?

I hope the Dr has cut that med in half at least.

I skip beats if I have too much caffiene.  I allow myself only the ONE large mug every morning and NO more.  Not even tea.
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2017, 11:52:58 PM »

Hi KaS so glad to hear from you. Must have been such a frightening week. Are you managing PP alright? I hope Monday will be soon so you get out of that bed and be 'better' again girl.

Wishing you all the best, and the always love, luck and strength, Cas

:flower;

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2017, 03:09:38 AM »

thank you all for caring.  I've had quite a week.  I'm still in the hospital-- or in the hospital again.  This is my second admission this week.  Over the last week, I have fainted 7 times, lost consciousness and found myself crumpled to the floor.  It got so that I couldn't trust my body not to faint.  I think part of was that on my February hospitalization for flu/asthma/A fib, I was prescribed a new drug with caused my BP to plummet.  That was part of it.

I went to the ER and was admitted for observation.  In the ER parking lot I fainted for the 7th time before admission.  I was put through all kinds of tests including an overnight heart monitor, but nothing irregular showed up except the low BP.  So the dosage was lowered and I was sent home, full of fear that I couldn't walk, drive or function.  Also, from all the falls, I really whacked out my lower back which hurt excruciatingly.

Yesterday, I went to my chiropractor for an adjustment and I screamed in pain just moving around in any direction.  She sent me off to get my back Xrayed.  So I went to urgent care for an xray and they took my vitals and found that my heart beat was only 40 beats/minute.  SO I was dropping every couple beats (a potential lethal situation) and it was during these "no beat" voids that I was fainting.  So that was their answer.  I need a pacemaker.

I was ambulanced over to a different hosp. (where I am now) for surgery.  Unfortunately, there was an emergency, and they couldn't take me until Monday.  So to keep me alive they installed a wire in my neck/heart to stimulate my heart to beat when it wouldn't on its own.  With this wire, I'm totally bedridden and can get out of bed at all in fear of jostling the wire loose.  So I on a bedpan and all kinds of wonderful hospital experiences.  But the good news is that they are clean that this is the problem and solution.  Here's hoping.

A friend just brought me my laptop so this is the first time I can visit the forum.

Dear K&S,
I am so sorry and really feel for you and shall continue to keep my fingers crossed for you !
It is amazing how calm and collected you sound and I am very glad about it,
 because that seems to be only way to survive it all.
I think of you and send you lots of cyber-hugs and best wishes from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
OldKritter

« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2017, 07:32:43 AM »

sorry to hear of your issues.  I wish you the best and a speedy recovery
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2017, 07:57:50 AM »

K&S. I had a similar problem in Oct-Nov.  I was going into V-tach and underwent a 7.5 hour operation to resolve the issue. It's amazing what they can do these days.  They even have a ICD designed for dialysis patients.  Good Luck the whole thing sucks rocks.  But you will be surprised how fast things will get better.  While you are the hospital check out and see if they have no salt chicken soup the hospitals I was in did and for the first time in 4 years I had chicken soup I didn't realize how much I missed the soup. 
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2017, 08:42:21 AM »

Thank you all for your well wishes.  At this moment, I'm scheduled for surgery tomorrow at noon. Hopefully, I won''t be bumped by an emergency.  I'm concerned that I might have to spend time afterwards in rehab and leave my dog again.  She doesn't have a long life ahead of her at 15+ and I can't bear to have to abandon her again; I just hope that some services can be cobbled together so i can manage PD and life skills with one arm in a sling.

the drug is metoprolal and it's intended to slow down a speeding heart in A fib and it lowers BP.  At the moment, I'm no longer taking it.

Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
LorinnPKD

« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2017, 09:28:25 AM »

Sending you hugs and good wishes, K&S. 
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2017, 11:44:51 AM »

Dear K&S, I can only imagine how frightening the fainting must have been for you. It scared me when I read it. It also scared me when I read about the metropelol, since I had been on it too at one time. I dont know if you are a "religious" person, but I am and I will pray for you. It doesnt hurt and I wish you a perfectly successful surgery.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2017, 01:36:05 PM »

Good luck tomorrow KaS. I'm sure you'll be fine tough lady. My dad had one placed and lived an awful long time with it  :angel;

Don't waste energy on worrying about your dog, you need energy for yourself now, and she/he will be fine too.

Just in case I'm sending loads and lots of positive and healing vibes your way.

Love, luck and strength, Cas

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2017, 03:32:00 PM »

Do you ever roll your eyes when, after you've described some medical condition you have, people regale you with stories that begin with, "Oh, my -------- had that, and (this and that and that again) happened!"   ::)

Well,  :P, my mother needed a pacemaker, and not only did it save her life, but it also made her pretty much as good as new (apart from her still needing dialysis).  So, I am hoping you will reap the same benefit.

Good luck tomorrow.  We will all be thinking of you.  We need you to be fit for when the Senate starts looking at that dreadful House health bill.   :rofl;

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2017, 03:42:18 PM »

Don't waste energy on worrying about your dog, you need energy for yourself now, and she/he will be fine too.
Do not underestimate the importance of a good dog in one's life.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »