I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:11:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  4 years ago major back surgery and poor core body strength Need input on PD tx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 4 years ago major back surgery and poor core body strength Need input on PD tx  (Read 3195 times)
SKS

I'm the caregiver, SO since 2005 on D 2016

« on: April 22, 2017, 07:44:13 AM »

4 years ago my husband had about every procedure possible with lower back surgery.  Due to foot drop (from nerve damage), back pain, knee problems core body strength has gone to pot.  only been on dialysis since June 30, 2016 but first fistula shut down, when to Catheter which has been replaced twice, 2nd Fistula has been a slow start.  We are snow birds and didn't realize what a blessing the DaVita, Georgesville Rd, Columbus Ohio was UNTIL we had to deal with the center in Leesburg, Fl .  Ohio everyone was upbeat, concerned, pleasant, considering all the difficulty.  You knew they cared and were empathetic and well trained, (Ohio requires training, testing, continuing education etc)  in Fl you can walk in off the street and be trained.   OK - sorry off topic Due to the mess - (yes I've talked to guest services after speaking with Nurse Admin, etc etc, nothing will change here - they think they are wonderful .   We want to go to home treatment
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 10:30:39 AM »

I broke a disc years ago.  Lots of soft tissue damage and resulting scarring that still continue to cause occasional problems if I exert myself wrong.  And there is no telling exactly what movement causes it to flare again. 

Regular movement helps.  I wake up in pain from laying in bed.  I have to get up and move, more or less force the muscles to move and limber up, allowing blood to flow.

Gentle range of motion, easy walks, seem to help me the most.

Sitting for long periods tend to make me 'lock u', I got to get up and move a bit to keep things working well.

I hope he fonds what works best for him.
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 08:49:58 AM »

Has your husband had any abdominal surgery?  I know with my back surgery they went in through my side, so my stomach does not have any scarring.  Generally, the major concern with placing a PD cath is abdominal surgery.  It is always worth a try to ask your nephrologist if your husband is a candidate for PD.  Also, physical therapy can help with the core strength.  I had a fusion at L3-4 and I am a lot less sore when I do my physical therapy exercises. 

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
SKS

I'm the caregiver, SO since 2005 on D 2016

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 10:25:41 AM »

He has a ten inch incision down center of back with pins and screws the calcification had damaged the spinal cord   needing extendsive repair.  Only appendectomy abdominal surgery maybe 40 years ago  hoping to hear from someone who has been successful with PD and his issues  currently he has been told water therapy for building core body strength but still has the catheter for likely another month or so as Fistula is still early   our goal is to get out of the center in Leesburg that is where we had to go in winter
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 02:03:30 PM »

I think he should be okay for PD.  He can still do his water exercises in certain conditions with the catheter, but ask his doctor about what restrictions to use in water.  It is worth a shot!!  :flower;  Please let us know how he does!

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 03:41:26 PM »

Hi SKS, I had a bilateral nephrectomy through my belly. Incision from breastbone to pubic bone. But PD went fine for 5 years. The peritoneum tearing caused by infection in cerebral drain that went to peritoneum, so nout to do with previous op.
The core strength will weaken further with PD though.
On the other hand there's a lot more exercises for core strengthening that don't involve water.

And is home hemo not an option?

Love, luck and strength, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 04:24:25 AM »

Some clinics train you do NOT get the PD cath site wet except for cleaning.

No pools, hot tubs, etc..  Except salt water is OK as salt water inhibits most bacterial growth.

I had a 'tunneled' PD cath.  I tunneled under the skin and the exit site was even with my breasts (nipples). almost a palms width to the left of center.  This worked out well for me as I could easily see the site, with or without a mirror.

Summer weather the PD Belt was too hot for me.  I either taped or cut a small hole in the backside of my T-shirt, sticking the cath through and coiling it inside the breast pocket.  That worked out just fine.

I could sit in a bath tub and not worry about soaking the site.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »