I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:50:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Toasted 'Peeps'
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Toasted 'Peeps'  (Read 4520 times)
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« on: April 16, 2017, 06:11:24 AM »

It was NICE out all day.  I got out and got busy, tilled at least a quarter of the garden area knowing the weather report called for rain and thunder storms tonight and tomorrow, Easter Day.  Decided best get some veggie plants in before the rains turn my fresh tilled area into a sea of mud.  This clay holds so much water you can't walk into it wet without losing your shoes, boots, whatever you're wearing no matter how tight you lace them.

So a trip to Wal Mart and found a couple tomatoes, couple types of cucumbers. I won't eat them but Wife and Dau eat them like a carrot.  Afew different sweet peppers I can cook with, and of course yellow and black zucchini.  I didn't get any sweet potatoes as I was too tired to build fences around them, the deer would eat those things the first night, I'm sure!

I noticed WM had Roses on sale.  I had just accidentally killed the miniature rose Dau gave Wife for Mother's Day a few years ago while burning off the dead leaves laying in the flower beds.  Brain dead, I didn't thin there was that many leaves, that the fire would get that big and that hot around the rose to hurt anything.  Yeah, I'm that stupid.  Last year I burnt half the evergreen bush that is in the corner of the front flower beds.  Ooops!  Easter is tomorrow, maybe if I buy her a few Roses, yank out the dead rose and the half dead bush, till in a bunch of potting soil and a couple bales of peat, stuck the roses in and just maybe Wife won't hate me so much all the time.  A little over a hundred dollars and I'm outta WM.  After sticking the veggies in the ground I'm toast.  The Roses will keep just fine sitting out there in the yard in front of the flower beds.  It rained most of the  night so I know they aren't gonna dry out and die today.

Son and Grandson came over to grill dead chicken.  G'son wanted to make a fire in the little pit and roast marshmallows later.  Another trip to WM as naturally the grill ran out and I failed to refill the spare tank. I got the LAST bag of marshmallows on the shelf.  Lucky me.  Since Easter is here there are a couple display stacks of 'Peeps'  Since I have a normally warped mind, I wondered, 'What IF?'  Since we are grilling chicken, and 'Peeps' are supposed to be 'Baby Chickens', how would Peeps taste roasted on a stick over the fire?

I didn't find any Yellow ones. Nor any Blue. There were three different types of 'Mystery Flavor' with numbers 1, 2, and 3.  I'm not so much into surprises, so I opted for the only one left. Pink 'Bubble Gum' flavor. After dark and full of BBQ Chicken we broke out the marshmallows. G'son hasn't learned yet the art of toasting a golden brown all soft and gooey inside.  He catches them on fire and has to try to blow them out.  Claims their best that way.  I know better.

I had to taste one of these Bubble Gum Peeps.  Not bad, I bit the butt off so I would know what they normally taste like then stuck my stick up it's but and proceeded to roast one of the regular marshmallows and the peep.  I thought best to have a regular one to better gauge the heat and collor shift as I had no idea how a pink peep would toast.  Once the regular one was roasted to my normal PERFECTNESS, for I am a marshmallow roasting MASTER, I ate the peep.

WOW!!!!  The Bubble Gum flavor JUMPS!  Intensified tremendously!   I had to do that a couple more times.

I wonder if I can Patent this?
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 12:21:53 PM »

Absolutely LOVE peeps and eat them by the box full in season. Never thought of grilling them, you are a genius!!!

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 03:27:55 PM »

From over the water I'm innocently inquiring: what are peeps?

Thanx already, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 03:35:58 PM »

Peeps are the little marshmallow baby chickens that hit the U.S. market shelves every Easter.

Once upon a time they were available in only the primary Easter colors.  Now they are coming out in flavors.

Last night I tried roasting them over the fire just like regular marshmallows and was pleasantly surprised how it intensified the Bubblegum flavor.
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 05:19:32 PM »

Peeps are an acquired taste.  Either you love them or hate them.  I am in the "love" camp and DH is squarely in the "hate" camp.  But he also hates cilantro, so he is suspect to begin with.

This is one of my most favorite original Internet sites....Peep surgery!  They usually come in a package of five, so someone decided to perform a little surgery on them to separate them from their brethren.

http://www.peepresearch.org/surgery.html

From over the water I'm innocently inquiring: what are peeps?

Thanx already, Cas
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 02:42:04 AM »

I had no idea that site existed.  Great stuff, not only the info on the site, but the Peeps also!

I may have to go back to Wal Mart now that Easter has past just to see how much they mark down all the un-sold Mystery Flavors left on the shelf.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 07:17:33 PM »

They make Christmas Peeps too... I have a package around here of marshmallow gingerbread men that I never opened, which are a few years old, so probably hard as rocks....

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 02:02:29 AM »

I just bought a box or three of peeps can't wait to try toasting them in a fire pit.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »