I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:34:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Dialysis: Workers
| | | |-+  Nothing like it!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nothing like it!  (Read 5668 times)
smartcookie

LMSW

« on: April 14, 2017, 08:52:39 AM »

There is nothing like helping a 93 year old patient who recently had an amputation get a hospital bed!  She thanked me this morning and said that she now get in and out of the bed by herself and does not have to rely on her daughter.  She gave me the biggest smile and said she slept wonderfully last night knowing she is a little more independent!  Made my day!   :bandance;

EDITED: Moved to workers area-kitkatz,Admin
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 05:30:25 AM by kitkatz » Logged

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 01:49:39 PM »

Excellent.

I never could do medicine or social work because of that whole "dealing with people" thing, but I have a lot of respect for those who can pull it off.
Blake nighsonger

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 07:55:59 PM »

ditto
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 08:20:56 PM »

A most maligned job, but when done right a job that can make a huge difference for a patient.  More important most of the results for a good social worker are hidden from the rest of the patients.  Since you work in the background you don't receive the kudos you deserve for doing your job right.  I admire the skill and dedication it takes to do your job.  I for one thank you .
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 01:59:10 AM »

Thanx Smartcookie, job well done!

:clap;

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 04:30:05 AM »

It takes a special person to endure in the fields of Social Work.  The triumphs are few but rewarding. However the disappointments when the 'system' fails a patient are too great for many of us to bear.

Society as a whole fails to admit responsibility to the ill and under privileged.  While the rest of society as too busy seeking to gain even more worldly possessions they refuse to willingly contribute even a small percentage to help those less fortunate than they.  Governments even fail to set aside a small amount of the tax dollars collected, instead spending even larger amounts on ever increasing salaries and benefits for those that make the poor decisions.

I'll stop here otherwise I will end up writing another book.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 09:24:10 AM »

While the rest of society as too busy seeking to gain even more worldly possessions they refuse to willingly contribute even a small percentage to help those less fortunate than they.  Governments even fail to set aside a small amount of the tax dollars collected,
Ever look at the EBT system?  Or Medicaid?   Or the govt paid dialysis we all get at the expense of others?   Or SS disability payments?  Suplemental Security Income?  Section 8 housing? Or all the programs like bi-lingual education we fund for people who are here only because they broke our laws?  Free ER treatment if you can't pay?  I'll be paying the feds about 1/3 of my disability payment because my wife works.     How is that not giving a small percentage?

The US has  a very wide safety net and income resdistribution program compared to many other nations.   Try visiting India and see the incredible poverty of the lower classes (who don't get EBT cards) or the many countries where you get as much dialysis as you can pay for - and no more.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 11:02:17 AM by Simon Dog » Logged
LorinnPKD

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 10:37:33 AM »

Great job, smartcookie!  I know this will make a huge difference to your nonagenarian patient and her daughter!

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 08:16:52 PM »

I for one get SS disability payments, I paid SSA taxes for 45 years with the understanding I would get paid if I became disabled.  To lump them with handouts is a insult.  If they cut my tax payments I would have bought private disabilty insurance.  But since I was covered by Social Security I felt if I needed coverage I had it.  Every one in this society benefits from some government hand out.  Free schooling for children, tax deduction for mortgage interest, tax deduction for children, free roads, the list is endless,  just be thankful you are not living on what you begrudge, it's no walk in the park for some one trying to live on SSI and Food Stamps.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 05:35:42 AM »

Most of us have worked and EARNED our Social Security. Lumping SS into the pot along with the rest of the Government 'hand-outs' is totally wrong, unless you are looking at how the Legislators have been wined and dined into extending these EARNINGS to immigrants new to this Country.  The rest of Government spending to help people have all been very difficult to get passed.  Legislators rather pass measures that profit people they know and that can kick-back substantial sums to their re-election campaigns.

A large number of people fail to realize much, if any, MORAL responsibility to others.  I know for at least a part of my life I was guilty.  And at times I am sure I still am.  It is hard to let go of all Bias'.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 07:18:30 AM »

The harsh reality is most undocumented aliens pay the full boat of taxes including Medicare, and Social Security and can't claim any benefits so blaming them for taking money is a bit unfair, since they can't get any benefits for all the taxes they pay.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 03:32:15 PM »

You missed something.  Undocumented aliens, i.e., very many Mexicans, are WORKING hard to make a living.

DOCUMENTED immigrants, refugees from foreign Countries are being granted FULL  Social Security Benefits by Legislative action.  Those people haven't contributed a dime, and many never will.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 07:06:22 PM »

You missed something.  Undocumented aliens, i.e., very many Mexicans, are WORKING hard to make a living.
Yes, but are they purchasing health insurance at full market rate, getting employer insurance, or relying using government force to take the cost of their care from taxpayers?

When they drive, are they doing so with all requires liability insurance?
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 05:03:30 AM »

LOL  I gotta admit that this 'coin' is more like a big box.  There are far more than just two sides to take into consideration.  Far more 'angles'. And that's just looking at the outside, inside make be a whole can of worms.

Far more complex than it first appears.
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 06:58:13 AM »

Thanks, everyone!  It feels so good when you get something for someone who is truly grateful!  My patient certainly deserved that bed! 

As for the political spending aspect, it is way to complicated for me to understand, but I try.  I am pretty conservative politically, but I also see the other side where patients get lost in the hustle and bustle of things.  Patients who receive a crappy wheelchair and have to wait five years for Medicare to pay for another one.  Patients who can't make ends meet on their SSI or SSDI, but don't qualify for Medicaid to get the programs they need.  But you have to remember, Social Security and Social Welfare by the government is a new thing for us.  We have only had it since FDR.  Before that, families and churches mostly took care of people.  Churches are shying away from that now, citing that the government helps.  Churches do not help they way they did even five years ago.  And since I am in South Carolina, the opportunities for my patients are not as good as more liberal northern states.  It is hard to find programs and money for patients who need it. 

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2017, 10:42:12 AM »

LOL  I gotta admit that this 'coin' is more like a big box.
Dialysis patients get to flip a coin.  Heads we lose; tails we loses.  If it stands on edge, we win.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 09:59:20 PM »

There is nothing like helping a 93 year old patient who recently had an amputation get a hospital bed!  She thanked me this morning and said that she now get in and out of the bed by herself and does not have to rely on her daughter.  She gave me the biggest smile and said she slept wonderfully last night knowing she is a little more independent!  Made my day!   :bandance;

EDITED: Moved to workers area-kitkatz,Admin

Makes my day anytime I know of someone helping another and it's their job and they enjoy doing it. My husband has a lot of praise and respect for the Social Worker at his clinic. With the exception of the Neph, he's helped him perhaps more than anyone else there. I think Social Workers must be a special breed.  :thumbup;

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »