I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:00:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Feel so good
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel so good  (Read 3431 times)
Disaster96

« on: May 02, 2017, 12:22:13 PM »

My doctor told me if I go on home dialysis I will feel so good I wont want a kidney
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 12:43:27 PM »

I have to chuckle a little bit at least.   While on PD at home I can't say I ever felt 'sick'.  Now on Hemo a few months I can finally pretty much say the same thing.  That first couple of months while my dry weight was too low was a different story.  But the biggest advantage to home treatment is the liberty with food and fluids.  Daily removal of smaller gains is soooooo much easier, far less 'shock' to the body's systems.

I still have a couple of very big IF's in my way.   

IF my fistula matures so well as to make needling an easy task.

IF I can get past my needle-phobia.

IF I can gain the self-confidence to needle myself.

Those are pretty big IF's.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 01:33:42 PM »

My doctor told me if I go on home dialysis I will feel so good I wont want a kidney

And what do YOU think about this statement?  Has this convinced you to give home D a go?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Blake nighsonger

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 04:57:00 PM »

Hello, you can.
LorinnPKD

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 11:58:17 AM »

I think that's an asinine statement.

There's really no comparison between any kind of dialysis and having a functioning kidney.  Dialysis only replaces a fraction of kidney function, just enough to get by. 

Besides, with a transplant, you've got a strict regimen of anti-rejection drugs, but that's so much easier than being hooked up for treatment and planning your life around literally being tied down.

I'm chalking it up to yet another clueless nephrologist.  So far I've had 2/3 who were very experienced but had zero idea of how to empathize.
Blake nighsonger

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 01:01:56 PM »

Actually my attitude and what i eat is proportional to how i feel if i eat unacceptable(crap) i have a bad day."Play by the rules" I have a good day. My dotor told me dialysis could only take up for about  near 15% of the kidney where as i was in center at the time, so now that i am home (HD) now I have those moments where i feel so good incomporasion to in- center that i would have no problem ..... well i mean it's the whole aspect , what a great difference in those two types. I can only imagine the feeling of a fictional  kidney. Surely not to be over rated.                     Blake
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 08:42:47 AM »

fictional  kidney
Not sure how much  literature there is about fictional kidneys  :waving;
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 04:40:29 AM »

I've done both PD and HD.  I feel better on HD, but I didn't realize the amount of fluid I was carrying around.  If I could do home HD, I'd probably give it a try.  I'd love having my own schedule

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »