I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:29:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories
| | |-+  Suggestions for Hawaii
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Suggestions for Hawaii  (Read 3233 times)
Tío Riñon

« on: March 21, 2017, 06:28:26 AM »

I am traveling to Hawaii for the first time this summer.  Looking for any suggestions for facilitating preparations for my trip.  I will be in both Honolulu and Maui which entails island hopping via plane.

My modality is PD, so I know that Baxter will charge me for delivery of solution since I'll be outside of the continental US.  Any tips for shipping my supplemental supplies to my destinations? 
My flights between the islands are on Island Air which uses ATR 72 and Q400 planes.  Will there be any issues bringing my cycler on board?
Suggestions for clinics or hospitals in case of emergency?  While I know that DaVita can provide me locations, that doesn't mean they are the best choices (anyone have experiences there?)
Anything I've overlooked?

Also, open to ideas for activities while I'm there.

Thanks for your help with these items.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 03:58:53 AM »

I'm in Chicago right now waiting for the final flight back from Honolulu. I received two treatments at the huge 40+ chair US Renal Care Honolulu facility. They were good and friendly. They didn't have me on the list the for the second day but setup a machine quickly.  They also gave me my iron which was new, most of the time traveling they don't give meds. But maybe that's something they keep on top of for Medicare patients.

We were in Honolulu for six nights, two in Waikiki without a car and four a few miles from diamond head in an Airbnb with a car.  Two mornings we went snorkeling at Hamauna Bay from the beach, we brought our own gear. One day we did the drive around the island. In Waikiki we tried to snorkel in the suggested spots and didn't see much.   Pineapples and gas was cheapest at Costco.  We did the Saturday morning farmers market at the college below diamond head and it was worth visiting. Also hit a huge swap meet/souvenir market at aloha stadium which was good for shirts and such.

I bought the GyPSy Oahu iOS tour app and that was a good guide to listen to as you drive around the island. They have one for Maui as well. It's with the $8.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Tío Riñon

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 06:12:14 AM »

Thanks Iolaire for the tips.  I had a feeling that I would probably hear from you since you seem to do a lot of traveling!   :2thumbsup;

I will take a look at the US Renal Care facility to see if they support PD patients too.  Will check out the GyPSy tour app too.

Hope your remaining flight goes well.

Tío Riñon

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 09:53:52 AM »

I just found out the cost of shipping solution to Hawaii with Baxter.  It depends on the total number of boxes and to which island they are being sent.

Oahu (Honolulu)

1 - 10 boxes.....$15
11 - 20 boxes.....$40
20+ boxes.....$55

Kahului (Maui) - must be delivered by barge

1 - 10 boxes.....$80
11 - 29 boxes.....$100
20+ boxes.....$120

Handling fee = $100 (ordered 30+ days in advance); $200 (less than 30 days)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »