I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:15:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories
| | |-+  Advice for Brazil cruise
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Advice for Brazil cruise  (Read 3010 times)
Tío Riñon

« on: March 17, 2017, 07:32:46 AM »

* I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this question.  If not, I hope the moderator will move it accordingly. *

The parents of a friend of mine are going on a cruise in a few weeks to Brazil.  One of the parents has been diagnosed with kidney disease.  They are wondering if there are any possible ill-effects from getting the malaria vaccine.  Also, any other suggestions or concerns with traveling there?  She is pre-dialysis, so there aren't any concerns about blood-born pathogens.

Thanks for any assistance!

iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 09:59:00 PM »

I view star fruit as a tropical fruit so I'd remind her to not eat it if it crops up.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Tío Riñon

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 06:28:14 AM »

I spoke with my nephrologist this week and he said that there are two options available.  He recommended that patients consult with their pharmacist to decide which one is best given their stage of kidney disease as well as other conditions along with drug interactions.

Iolaire's caution about starfruit is on the mark because only people with healthy kidneys can digest the fruit without problems.  The effects on kidney patients range from hiccups to death.  Definitely not worth the gamble--especially on vacation.

Here the NKF's link if you're curious: https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/why-you-should-avoid-eating-starfruit
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 05:59:18 PM »

You may have already seen this, but it's a blog article from HomeDialysis.org about cruising on dialysis.

http://homedialysis.org/news-and-research/blog/196-cruising-with-home-dialysis-tips-from-a-platinum-cruiser

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »