I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:37:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Hello, kidneys worsening and feeling down
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello, kidneys worsening and feeling down  (Read 7231 times)
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2017, 04:36:29 PM »

Can't stress enough the importance of controlling blood pressure. Besides taking the proper medication, diet has a huge effect on BP.  Cutting out the salts quickly reduces the excess water in your system which contributes to rising BP.   A diet large in veggies and low in carbs and fats will also lead the body to start sheding excess weight, which is another huge contributor to high BP.  Add in pushing yourself to take a daily walk, and give it a year, you will begin to feel and see the weight loss.
MikeOK

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2017, 05:21:27 PM »

Thanks. My blood pressure was perfect but at the cost of rising creatinine. Mine without meds usually runs about 145/90, which isn't too bad but it's still too high. I'm back on the lisinopril now until I can get in to see my GP next week to find an alternative.
MikeOK

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2017, 05:36:17 PM »

I forgot to mention that I have bipolar disorder. It's taken me ten years to find a recipe (2 drugs) that helps with tolerable side effects. Tolerable except one of them has caused me to gain 75 lb's in the last year. I have anhedonia bad so it's hard to stay active, however the wife and I did start walking a few weeks back and I've already shed 10 lb's.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2017, 06:39:58 PM »

Ten pounds lost is a great start.  And having a partner to walk with is another HUGE benefit.  It is very difficult to get out and take a walk by yourself.  Having another person to talk with makes the trip far more enjoyable.  Soon you both will be looking forwards to you daily walk, timne together.

Be aware, there will be frustration when you step on the scale sometimes and fail to see much, if any weight loss.  That happens, and is expected.  There will come a point where fat converts to muscle which is denser and weighs even more.  Don't let it get you donw, keep up with the improved eating and the walks and give it at least a year, or two.  Great things take time and patience.

You're off to a good start.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2017, 08:47:37 PM »

Mike when I first heard the word dialysis I weighed 370 pounds, when told I was going to start dialysis I stopped eating  processed foods and began to eat healthier . More fruits some vegetables less meat,no frozen foods.in the next 2 years I dropped to 330 pounds without going on a diet.  Then I began to have symptoms and I started dialysis changed my diet yet again more meat, more fruit, again some vegetables.  In the last 4 years on dialysis I have dropped to 290 pounds.  Still fat but much thinner.    This is not a walk in the park but a change of diet will delay the start of dialysis. I loved my last two years as a non dialysis patient.  If you can conquer bipolar you can handle this:(I have a relative who has spent most of the last 8 years in mental hospital s because she won't stay on her meds and won't work with the doctors) . The other advice is to ignore your labs, not stop having them done but let your doctor worry about them.  Too many people let the lab work dominate their life.  The best indicator of when to start is how do you feel.  When the answer is cruddy then it's time.  Good Luck I hope you avoid dialysis for many years.  I met a women who was told 8years ago it was time to start but she feels great and is enjoying her non dialysis life.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:07:05 AM by Michael Murphy » Logged
MikeOK

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2017, 10:27:57 AM »

Yes bipolar is what caused my kidney damage in the first place. I was being treated with lithium among others, and it went toxic on me. The desired level is around 1.0 and mine was 14.4! I was in the hospital for 28 days and was lucky to survive. I guess I should count my blessings. I've now found two drugs that control it fairly well but one is notorious for causing weight gain. I'd rather be happy and fat than thin and miserable.
MikeOK

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2017, 10:31:27 AM »

And if I can hold off dialysis for 10 years maybe they'll have an artificial kidney on the market by then, that would be great. There is one being developed and doing well in trials that may be out as soon as 2020.
AaishaDar

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2017, 08:27:35 PM »

Hi didn't catch your name sorry,
I wanted to let you know I was a little teen 14 years old when I started PD. When you don't know much about it of course it is very scary. I was afraid and fed up because a year prior my transplant failed. But I kept faith in God and took it step by step. I'm not going to sugar coat it but getting the tube placed in my abdomen for PD did hurt. But the pain gets better each day. I would hook myself to PD and then sleep honestly you get used to it and there is no pain at all. I liked PD better than hemo. But due to a bad infection I was forced to switch to hemo. Learning to do PD only took two sessions and isn't difficult at all. I liked it because they would remove fluid slowly throughout the night. And you pick the dextrose meaning if you feel you drank too much and are swollen you would pick a higher dextrose to remove more fluid. This is really nothing to be scared of I'm sure if you have to resort to PD you'll do wonderful. I really wish you the best of luck. Stay strong.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »