I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2024, 09:37:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Introducing myself!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Introducing myself!  (Read 4463 times)
Cochranme

« on: May 25, 2017, 11:33:21 AM »

Greetings everyone! My name is Martin I have been on dialysis since December 2015. I am a PD patient.  I've had chronic kidney disease for a long time, I was diagnosed in 2000. They believe the source of my disease goes all way back to when I was seven and I was bit by a spider, either a brown recluse or a black widow, and went into acute renal failure.  This later caused scarring, and uncontrolled high blood pressure which eventually lead to kidney failure.    I have browsed the site for a year and a half and never had the courage to join. I'm very glad that I did.
I am on disability now after spending many years as a college music professor. In the past two years, I've also been through divorce, bankruptcy, loss of job, leaving my daughter behind. And moving in with my father at 42 years old. Fortunately I have no other health problems and I'm testing for a transplant here in New Orleans soon I'm already on the list at UAB. Just recently, since I have time, I have decided that I wish to go back to school and become a  kidney  nurse. I would love to work in a center somewhere to the one that I use and educate PD patients. My nurses have been wonderful, but there's always a point that I reach with them where they simply can't answer because they don't have any experience actually being on dialysis . I'm very excited to be able to post on this board, I'll look forward to a lot of discussion.

sp and edit mod Cas
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 02:41:45 PM by cassandra » Logged
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 12:14:44 PM »

:welcomesign;  Hi, Cochranme!  So glad to have you here!  I love to see dialysis patients who take an interest in bettering themselves and I know you will make an excellent addition to our group!  What college did you teach at?  I enjoyed my music classes in college, but am not musically blessed so I became a social worker!   :P  I hope you find what you are looking for here!

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 02:43:10 PM »

Welcome to the site Cochranme

:welcomesign;

Take care, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 04:05:10 PM »

Welcome!  :welcomesign;

Good to have you here!

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 07:27:36 PM »

Welcome to the IHD Family.

Attitude on the greatest part in doing well whatever the endeavor.  This also applies to how well we do on Dialysis.

I look forward to hearing about your continued success!
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 09:00:50 PM »

Welcome to the dialysis web.  Going back to school to be a nurse sounds like a wonderful idea, if you are on Social Security Disability they may even pay for your training.
LorinnPKD

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 10:54:52 PM »

Welcome!  So glad you made the jump and joined officially & wishing you every success in your training!
Cochranme

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 05:02:59 AM »

:welcomesign;  Hi, Cochranme!  So glad to have you here!  I love to see dialysis patients who take an interest in bettering themselves and I know you will make an excellent addition to our group!  What college did you teach at?  I enjoyed my music classes in college, but am not musically blessed so I became a social worker!   :P  I hope you find what you are looking for here!

I've taught at the following:

UAB
Kennesaw State
Columbus State (ga)
Alabama St
University of Montevallo
University of West Ga

Believe it or not, I was a professor of tuba and euphonium.. yes, such a position exists..no, it's not as easy as it sounds..yes, it's almost as easy as it sounds...
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 05:06:18 AM »

Welcome.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
OldKritter

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 06:22:52 AM »

WELCOME!
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 06:36:07 AM »

Wow!  You have an impressive resume!

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
Cochranme

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 07:58:00 AM »

LOL thank you very much. If you happen to be interested and I'm not sure this is appropriate for this post or not so please forgive me, is a video of me performing. PS I've been on PD for half a year during this performance

https://youtu.be/547ZWDVvD3s
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 09:04:00 AM »

Beautiful!!  That was excellent!  How many instruments do you play?  I played a little piano when I was a kid, but haven't touched it in years. 

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 10:59:09 AM »

Welcome to the site!!! We are glad you finally joined us.   :welcomesign;   

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 06:15:32 PM »

LOL thank you very much. If you happen to be interested and I'm not sure this is appropriate for this post or not so please forgive me, is a video of me performing. PS I've been on PD for half a year during this performance

https://youtu.be/547ZWDVvD3s

:welcomesign; Welcome to the site! Thank you for sharing your concert with us, that was beautiful! I have an autistic nephew who plays the large Tuba. He'd love this video. 

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »