I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:59:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Suspected hernia
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Suspected hernia  (Read 2986 times)
OldKritter

« on: March 01, 2017, 09:45:14 AM »

A couple of days ago I had a nasty coughing fit and burst some cysts,  back pain and urinating blood. 
Had a painful bump on my stomach (where the diaphragm is).  Not painful now, but I still have a bump, think it might be a hernia.
Question.  I’m on PD can this effect my treatment?
Doctors sometimes go overboard and try to fix everything.  Should I just leave it alone?

Appreciate your thoughts on this issue.
nursey66

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 06:33:43 PM »

I got a severe hard cough with a bout of pneumonia last year and actually blew my belly button out. The surgeon tried to get it back but no luck. I ended up having a n umbilical hernia repair surgery because it was getting painful.  When l tell people about it they can't believe person could cough that hard ,!!
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 02:46:20 AM »

Is your drain fluid clear?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
OldKritter

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 05:16:37 AM »

Yes, the drain is clear.  I was just left with this lump.
Think I'm going to ignore it, no sense in looking for trouble.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 05:33:28 AM »

Two times in my life I have broken a rib from a hard cough.  People do not realize just how strong the abdominal muscles can be.  Especially in those of us that are very well developed from physically intensive work.  The constant exercise may not give those huge bulging muscles you see on the body builders, those guys have brute strength and bulges that look amazing.  Those of us that work all day may not look like that but we can do HUNDREDS of repetitions, an muscle spasm during a cough can easily snap a lower rib causing immediate and excruciating pain that does NOT go away, but lasts for weeks.  Every breath a reminder that this HURTS.

It is very possible for a cough to raise abdominal pressure sufficient for tear a muscle and have a rupture.  A very close High School Friend has had 3 that all needed surgical repair.  I highly recommend you at least talk to your Dr about this.  Depending in the location it may not be necessary to repair at this point, but another bout of hard coughing or a bit of heavy lifting could easily enlarge any damage enough for it to become a serious problem.  You may get lucky and be able to wear some sort of support, like a belt over this area to provide additional support to a strained or damaged muscle.

Ask and find out before it bevomes an immediate intense problem.
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 06:40:46 AM »

I would suggest getting it checked out.  If your intestines have worked their way through the hole created, you can cut off blood supply to the intestines and be in a heap of trouble.  Chances are, if the doctor checks it out and you are not in any pain, he/she probably will not do anything.  But better safe than sorry!

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »