I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:28:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Dialysis and driving
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dialysis and driving  (Read 3424 times)
beep

« on: February 28, 2017, 11:48:07 PM »

Does anyone have any issues re driving a motor vehicle and Dialysis?
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 02:17:41 AM »

I drove 5 yrs an hour in, an hour back. Here in the UK the insurance won't pay if you caused an accident and your BP is below 100/60.
In the 5 yrs I had 2 minor crashes, my lovely car always took the impact. Never insurance involved. I don't think I ever put anyone (including myself) in danger. And I'm still glad I could put 100's of hrs from the 'waiting around for transport' time into the living time.

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
beep

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 11:01:57 PM »

in my country we have to notify Dept of Trans of any medical issues we have  ..i have for past 6/7years   told them ive got CKD  N on dialysis so for no issues
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 12:45:56 AM »

When I started dialysis in the first 6 months I caused a accident (yes I stopped and gave my insurance info even though my truck was not damaged) and a minor fender bender.  I had my insurance canceled and now I pay about twice as much. Since then I drive more defensively after dialysis and I stay off of majoror roads and go the back way when I go home.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 03:08:37 AM »

I was on PD for over 3 1/2 years before starting Hemo in December. So far, I have not noticed anything that would impare my driving.  I have not yet had any blood pressure drops during or after a Hemo session, or if I had, it was so slight as to not be noticed.

So far, so good.  I must be Blessed.  But then again, I pay very close attention to my fluid gains so as NOT to take on much.  Friday's session I was shocked at weigh-in, I was only a TENTH more than my weigh-out on Wednesday.  Please don't ask me how I did that.  I have no idea.   Maybe Fresenius' scale picked that moment to wack out as I've never done that before, and likely never will again.

Keeping your weight gains to a minimum, reducing the amount that has to be taken off each session reduces the shock to your body and can prevent many of those pressure drops.

I'm going to stay very careful with my fluidis.  I don't want to test myself taking off large amounts.
coldhoist

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 09:27:25 AM »

When I started dialysis in the first 6 months I caused a accident (yes I stopped and gave my insurance info even though my truck was not damaged) and a minor fender bender.  I had my insurance canceled and now I pay about twice as much. Since then I drive more defensively after dialysis and I stay off of majoror roads and go the back way when I go home.
dp
I try to drive where there is less traffic also. Not so much worried about what I may do, I am more worried about what other drivers will do. Less traffic means less stress.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 09:55:03 AM »

My husband has been on dialysis for over 3 years. We live about 15-20 minutes from his dialysis center. He drives himself and has had no problems. He also works fulltime and spends a good chunk of his time driving every day to meet clients. Just in general we both find driving to be exhausting but that's because of drivers in traffic who got their driving lessons from a cracker jack box. Maybe not even.     

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
OlManRivah

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 06:20:27 PM »

I've been on dialysis for about 6 years and drive the 18 miles with no problem.  When I first started I would feel a little woozy when I finished dialysis, so I would wait a few minutes in the break room until I felt OK, then I'd leave.   :waving;

Country boys can survive!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »