I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 11:47:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Political Debates - Thick Skin Required for Entry
| | |-+  'Nobody knew that health care could be so complicated'... Nobody? Or only Trump?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Nobody knew that health care could be so complicated'... Nobody? Or only Trump?  (Read 36017 times)
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« on: February 27, 2017, 12:44:25 PM »

"Nobody knew that health care could be so complicated," Trump said. "And statutorily and for budget purposes, as you know, we have to do health care before we do the tax cut."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/02/27/donald-trump/98470506/

I would guess that there are probably two adults in the United States who did not know that organizing a national health care system is complicated. One, apparently, is the President; I can't even guess who the other person might be ...

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 01:32:05 PM »

Probably Pence.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 01:58:53 PM »

President Obama.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 10:08:58 AM »

President Obama.

uh Wut?

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 11:02:34 AM »

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.  I meant to say that President Obama probably didn't know, at first, how complicated PASSING the ACA would be.

My fear is that Rand Paul's bill might get serious consideration.  His plan assures coverage for pre-existing conditions in people with "continuous health care coverage".  So, if you have CKD that was covered by your employer provided plan, should you lose your job but then get another one, technically you do not have "continuous coverage", so that would me that you'd be without insurance for your pre-existing condition.  At least, that's how I read it.  If I'm wrong, PLEASE tell me!!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 01:07:24 PM »

If you want to keep your doctor... you can keep your doctor.... If you like your insurance you can keep your insurance....

Yeah... Nobody.

At least Trump is honest and transparent.  Knowing this he will give it his BEST to do it.  Not hide like Obama did.

If you are honest to yourself you KNOW that people who are not sick.... do not know how complicated Health Care is.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 01:11:32 PM by Rerun » Logged

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 01:35:19 PM »

If you want to keep your doctor... you can keep your doctor.... If you like your insurance you can keep your insurance....

Yeah... Nobody.

At least Trump is honest and transparent.  Knowing this he will give it his BEST to do it.  Not hide like Obama did.

If you are honest to yourself you KNOW that people who are not sick.... do not know how complicated Health Care is.

It's not Trump that worries me (at least, not for the moment), rather, it's Congress.  They seem to have absolutely no idea what to do.

You don't have to be sick to know how complicated health care is.  Out of the 500-odd Congresspeople, surely enough of them have either been ill themselves or have had family members and/or friends who have had a chronic illness.

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 01:52:05 PM »

You don't KNOW unless it is YOU or a 1 step away loved one.  My inlaws had NO idea about dialysis.  Not until his kidneys failed.  Then the light bulb went on.  Amazing how that works.

Most people know our health system is screwed up, but they don't get the bills and the outrageous EOB's or the long waits in the ER or doctor's office or the weeks waiting for an appt. 

MM oh how easily we forget.... 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 01:54:38 PM by Rerun » Logged

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 02:16:52 PM »

You don't KNOW unless it is YOU or a 1 step away loved one.  My inlaws had NO idea about dialysis.  Not until his kidneys failed.  Then the light bulb went on.  Amazing how that works.

Most people know our health system is screwed up, but they don't get the bills and the outrageous EOB's or the long waits in the ER or doctor's office or the weeks waiting for an appt. 

MM oh how easily we forget....
I agree, and I haven't forgotten!

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 03:33:45 PM »

The problem with the  ACA  is that what Obama asked for is not what the Senate wanted and by the time all the Senators Requests were added the ACA needed surgery. Then the republican hatred began and rather then fix the ACA they tried to kill,it. If three Republican Senators oppose the repeal and replace bill then they need the democrats to pass it.   Even if the republicans have enough votes to pass they don't have enough votes to stop a democratic filibuster.
As far as a pivitol moment this one is interesting the democratic senators will demand cosessions from the republicans and any consesions will probably drive conservative. Republican senators to oppose right now with every republican senator voting for it you will need. A democrat to vote cloture.more democrats more consessions more conservative senators probably drop out.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 06:05:37 AM »

I hope we are in a stalemate and it goes on as-is.  I really worry they might vote for the repeal first and thing things will collapse on the "fix" and that will lead to death panels and the like.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 06:13:41 AM by iolaire » Logged

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 09:13:13 AM »

The only thing that I would think would cover you would be COBRA.  The premiums would be outrageous though.  If you didn't take COBRA between jobs, that's where I think you would fall out of coverage. 

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.  I meant to say that President Obama probably didn't know, at first, how complicated PASSING the ACA would be.

My fear is that Rand Paul's bill might get serious consideration.  His plan assures coverage for pre-existing conditions in people with "continuous health care coverage".  So, if you have CKD that was covered by your employer provided plan, should you lose your job but then get another one, technically you do not have "continuous coverage", so that would me that you'd be without insurance for your pre-existing condition.  At least, that's how I read it.  If I'm wrong, PLEASE tell me!!
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 11:59:20 AM »

Avoiding unintended consequences is tricky, but the goal is to prevent people from waiting until they are certain of filing a significant claim to buy health insurance.
nursey66

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 06:43:59 PM »

I think health insurance should be mandatory just like car insurance is. From what l got from the new Trump insurance plan, people with pree-existing conditions will have insurance available to them , but they don't say how much it will cost. !! Available is not the same thing as affordable.  Example. There are $40,000 new SUVs available for me to buy, but on my income it's not affordable !
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 08:20:22 PM »

The preexisting trap meant that even if you had cobra your new employer may or may not cover you as a new hire. Over the years I have had several friends trapped in a job because of family members who would loose coverage if he or she changed jobs.  Layoffs could be a death sentence under preexisting conditions. 
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 05:34:00 AM »

Have you noticed how @Bill Peckham is quite the rubble rouser, posting political threads and then letting others fight it out?

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 06:50:04 AM »

Yep but he does pick good ones. He just lights the fuse and runs like  well  he does start interesting threads.
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 09:56:24 AM »

heh

To be fair IHD was down for the weekend. I actually feel better that there is no way this Congress and Administration will be able to figure this out and actually pass healthcare legislation. It is turning into farce - no one is allowed to see the proposal, no legislative guidance forthcoming from the administration - it's all bluster about an imaginary plan that will cost less, cover more people and provide better care. I find it hard to imagine what republicans involved think is going to happen.

In the absence of healthcare legislation they can't move forward on the budget which has a deadline coming up next month. The administration isn't even staffed up - they haven't even put forward names for over 500 positions subject to Senate confirmation. If it was January they would be behind where they need to be, as it is they are too busy to putting out fires to catch up.

Everything Trump hopes to do is complicated, it doesn't get easier after healthcare. Trump's idea of governing seems to be signing executive orders but that isn't how it works. Hard to see how this ends up as anything other than abject failure. SAD

iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 10:16:35 AM »

Hard to see how this ends up as anything other than abject failure. SAD
I'm hoping from full scale gridlock!

I'd feel much safer if nothing changes, and I have Medicare plus employee insurance and a working wife who hopefully will retire with access to health insurance.  Having had a per-existing condition all my life I really hope to not loose the protections added via the ACH. 

And at this point in my life I understand most everyone gets sick and our tax dollars end up covering people who choose to not hold insurance, so for that reason I see no reason to not force them to have insurance or pay extra into the tax system that will bail them out. 

Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 10:45:01 AM »

The Medicaid piece of the ACA is where I expect the clearest division in the republican ranks because the republican line on Medicaid doesn't hold up once it leaves the republican worldview bubble. Medicaid may have its problems but it is better than the alternatives, morally and fiscally.

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 11:24:16 AM »

And at this point in my life I understand most everyone gets sick and our tax dollars end up covering people who choose to not hold insurance, so for that reason I see no reason to not force them to have insurance or pay extra into the tax system that will bail them out.
They should be allowed to opt-out, with "opt out" meaning no provider will be required, under any circumstances whatsoever, to provide care without proof of payment prior to rendering such care.   Everyone can live with the consequence of "government will make the ER treat me", but some have a problem with being told to pay something into the system.  Fine, let those people sit it out ... completely.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 12:34:21 PM »

The ER can't turn away children.  That is heartless.  But, what to do? 

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2017, 01:40:07 PM »

Strange, but when Mr.Obama was in office, we did not get to see anything in the ACA. Remember Nancy Pelosi's famous statement. We have to pass the bill so we can get to read it??? And no one complained, except of course those dumb Republicans. And NOW, it is just shameful that President Trump appears to be moving in the same way, people are shocked!!! Just amazing.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 03:23:53 PM »

Strange, but when Mr.Obama was in office, we did not get to see anything in the ACA ...

LOL the the fourteen month long gauntlet that the ACA went through is just like the process the House is planning to wrap up by April 1 - so long as you convert months into Congressional work days. But to be fair I think that each day of the Trump administration does feel like a month.

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 03:54:01 PM »

Then it is going to be a LONG 8 years for you.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »